In this article, our editorial staff deals with the question of how to choose the right refrigerator in 2018. Before you buy a refrigerator, you need to study in advance the wide range of offers on the market and decide what features and capabilities your refrigerator should have.
We have come all this way and in this article we will provide tips and recommendations from experts on how to choose a refrigerator. At the end of the article they made up a detailed rating of refrigerators in 2018 based on the budget for the purchase. Rating for convenience of choice divided into segments up to 20 000 rub., Up to 30 000 rub., Up to 40000 rub.
The importance of choosing the right refrigerator
- Cost The store will offer you many options with unnecessary features for which you overpay. Familiarize yourself with basic features before picking.
- Compatibility. The size and location of the installation has a decisive role, do not neglect this.
- Comfort Pay attention to the little things – the location of shelves, cameras and light plays a crucial role in comfort.
- Efficiency. Properly selected size and usable volume will save on electricity.
- Durability. The most important selection criteria. We advise you to choose a well-known company, pay attention to the reviews and ratings to choose the best refrigerator.
Calculate the size and useful volume of the refrigerator
If you choose a refrigerator for a house or apartment, you definitely need to get a tape measure before you buy it. It is necessary to approach the choice of installation site with all responsibility. Consider the place where you will install the refrigerator, it should not interfere with the passage, the doors should open and close freely, there should be a socket near the installation site. Some models require connection to the water supply, which should be taken care of in advance.
Standard sizes 60x60x150 cm will be an excellent solution for small kitchens. Advice of experts – it is necessary to select the sizes taking into account the size of the kitchen and availability of free space on it. A tall fridge is not always the best choice, if your height is below average, you must make sure when choosing whether it is comfortable to get items from the upper shelves, it may be more convenient to give preference to a low and shallow but wide model. Standard height is 1.5-2 m.
Useful volume refrigerator is an important selection criterion. According to experts, when determining the required volume, it is necessary to take into account that products should not be stored closely, but at a short distance for air circulation. With the same external dimensions, the useful volume may be different.
Standard solutions for one or two people – a volume of 180-250 liters. For a family of up to 5 people, a model up to 350 liters will do. If this is not enough, then you should pay for a side-by-side cabinet of 500 liters or more. (See also: How to choose and install a built-in refrigerator)
Types of refrigerators and their purpose
Single-chamber refrigerators – the best choice for giving
The smallest models are equipped with just one door, behind it there is either one cold room, there are also options with a very small freezer (NTO – low temperature compartment). A great option for one or two people or a small office. Experts advise you to choose this type of refrigerator to give. (See also: Why do you need a voltage regulator for refrigerators)
- unmarked – in this compartment it is allowed to store products for several days;
- one star – temperatures up to -6 ° C, food storage is possible up to two weeks;
- two stars – up to -12 ° C, – shelf life for three months;
- three stars – up to -18 ° C – shelf life during the year.
Two-compartment refrigerators are the most popular. The first is refrigeration, and the second is freezing. Most of the refrigerator is occupied by the refrigerator. It houses metal or glass shelves and food storage containers. Glass shelves are easy to clean, and the grates do not interfere with air circulation. Inside the unit, you can create any combination of shelves and containers. (See also: How to choose a two-chamber refrigerator – the best 2017 rankings)
Most often, the freezer is located above the refrigerator, but there are some models in which it is located below. It is worth remembering – freezers located below have a larger volume than those located above.
On some models it is possible to change the direction of opening doors, from left to right or from right to left, which is important during installation.
Three-compartment refrigerators have a “freshness preservation zone” available. In this compartment, the temperature is kept from zero to two degrees above zero. The zero-temperature chamber is designed for storage of perishable products – in this compartment they will retain their taste and freshness longer.
Side-by-Side refrigerators are ideal for large families. The freezer is located on the side. Standard parameters of such a unit are 180x80x100 cm.
Choosing the type of defrosting / freezing the refrigerator
Manufacturers in 2017-2018 offer two types of No Frost and drip system. Refrigerators with drip defrost are cheaper and you should not opt for this system. Freezers with a “weeping” system collect moisture on the back wall of the chamber, and drops drop over it into the drain pan, from where it evaporates.
In 2018, it is better to choose a refrigerator with the No Frost system, other options are less relevant. Here are the advantages of the NoFrost system:
- no need to defrost constantly
- frost and ice do not appear due to air circulation and maintaining a constant temperature
- temperature is evenly distributed, food is stored longer
- all condensate is collected in a bath, the liquid from which is enough to pour out 1-2 times a year
- less energy consumption than other types
As you can see, No Frost refrigerators with a defrosting system are more practical and convenient to use. Based on the conditions and pace of modern life, almost all manufacturers seek to equip their product, according to the latest technology.
However, you should not immediately run to the cashier as soon as you see an inexpensive model with a sign “No Frost”. For the general characteristics of the refrigerator, such a mark is undoubtedly a plus, but you should dig deeper and figure out which pitfalls this product harbors.
Consider the example of the recently released model of the Hotpoint refrigerator. First, the manufacturer has improved the already familiar defrosting system by changing the location and angle of the vents, which ensure uniform air circulation and, most importantly, do not have a direct impact on the products, giving the name to the new Total No Frost HD system.
But how was the manufacturer able to surprise, apart from the defrosting system, which is present today in almost every unit? Consumer-oriented innovation: Active Oxygen technology that eliminates unpleasant odors and prevents the formation of bacteria, which allows you to keep products fresh for a longer time. And also, another interesting feature Super Freeze +. When this function is selected on the display, the fans begin to work more intensively, which makes it possible to freeze food twice as fast.
Thus it is possible to list manufacturers and innovations introduced by them for a long time. Therefore, when choosing a new refrigerator should be fully inherent in their functions, and not rely solely on one indicator, as a defrosting system, and choose a model that suits you.
Interesting fact. In 2018, the manufacturer of robotic vacuum cleaners, the Okami Group, immediately launched 3 successful models, one of which topped the overall ranking of robotic vacuum cleaners. The best choice in the segment to 500
Number of refrigerator compressors
Refrigerator manufacturers produce units with one or two compressors. If one compressor is installed, the freezer and the refrigeration compartment are powered by one motor. The engine is wearing out due to heavy load. We advise you to buy a refrigerator with two compressors installed, this option will be more reliable.
The advantage of refrigerators with two compressors:
- the ability to turn off one camera and leave the second one turned on – you can wash the freezer without turning off the refrigerator compartment
- independent temperature – when opening the doors of the refrigerating chamber, only one compressor works to restore the temperature
Crank compressor or linear? The choice is quite simple, as studies have shown refrigerators with linear compressors retain more vitamins and minerals in foods. (See also: Inverter compressor in the refrigerator: pros and cons)
Refrigerators with two compressors always consume more electricity. Pay attention to this when choosing a refrigerator for the house.
Energy class and noise level
The noise level should be less than 40 dB, it is this noise level that is comfortable for the house. (See also: Rating of the quietest refrigerators according to customer reviews)
The refrigerator operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so it is very important to choose the most economical option. The most economical are the units of class “A ++”, “A +”, “A”, then according to the level of efficiency followed by refrigerators of classes “B” and “C”. Anything below “C” is not worth buying!
Pay attention to the scheme below, from the graphs it can be seen that the class “A ++” consumes 40% less electricity than “C”. In the calculations for years of operation, the amount of savings is noticeable.
Follow the trends of energy saving, in 2018, experts recommend choosing a class “A ++” or “A +” refrigerator. Read also: How much a refrigerator consumes electricity per month
Choice of climate class refrigerator
To choose a climate class, it is enough to know the average temperature limits of the room in which the refrigerator will be located. Choosing a refrigerator for the home, this criterion is not so important. In 90% of cases, N-SN models are suitable.
The climate class is marked with the letters N, SN, ST, T.
- N – from +16 о С to +32 о С;
If the refrigerator breaks down and at an expert assessment it turns out that the operation does not correspond to the climate class – the warranty from the manufacturer will not be valid.
Choice of class freezer
The class of freezer is indicated by snowflakes:
- 2 snowflakes – temperature up to -12
The simplest freezers in single-chamber refrigerators, the temperature in some does not fall below -6 ° C.
Additional features affect the price, so we advise you to choose the most necessary and useful.
Ice machine – There are two types, a dispensary for oxen or ordinary ice cells. The premium segment is equipped with an automatic icemaker, which must be connected to the water supply. You can choose a semi-automatic version – water is poured into the tank manually, which is less convenient, but cheaper and easier.
Antibacterial coating – silver ions are used, which prevent the growth of bacteria and microbes.
Super freeze –– the mode is used for quick freezing, the temperature is briefly reduced to -24 °
Door open indicator – if the door is not closed, or is not tight, a signal is emitted.
The shape and color should be in harmony with the furnishings and colors of the kitchen. Today designs are presented in any color, and from various materials, beginning from habitual metal, finishing with a tree.
A matter of taste! Choose what you like.
Which refrigerator is better to choose 2017-2018: expert advice
As we promised, here are some expert tips on how to choose a refrigerator for home or cottage.
- Think over the place where the cooling unit will stand. It should not cause inconvenience.
- Glass is better than plastic, shelves of glass are more durable, care for them is easier. Glass is more transparent than plastic, it is convenient when searching on the upper shelves.
- Check the seals when buying, they must be elastic and the refrigerator should open without any extra effort.
- The best models are equipped with the NoFrost system, caring for them is easier.
- Inspect the selected model before you turn it on. So you can recognize poor-quality plastic – it smells unpleasant.
- If the unit will be used by no more than 5 people, choose a unit with a volume of no more than 300 liters.
- Single-chamber model will be an excellent option to give. Home is better to choose with two or three cameras.
- Save space in a small kitchen will help the view with the handle “recessed” in the case. Pay attention to the narrow model.
- The noise level should not exceed 40 dB.
- Options on wheels are more practical than on legs.
Rating of manufacturers of refrigerators 2017-2018
- 22% – Atlan (ATLANT Inc., Minsk, Belarus);
- 18% – in equal proportions of 9% of sales volumes accounted for trademarks:
- Samsung (Samsung Group, Seoul, Korea);
- Liebherr (
As we can see, in 2017 and 2018, Atlant is leading. Relatively cheap prices and excellent quality allowed them to gain confidence. Rely on this rating when choosing a company.
Rating selection of technical specifications and additional features
- number of cameras: two-chamber (85%); Side-by-side – wide two door (10%); single-chamber (3%); three-chamber and multi-chamber (2%);
- the layout and location of the freezer: at the bottom (67%), at the top (23%), side (6%);
- height, see: low up to 125 (9%), ≤ 150 and ≤ 170 (12% each), ≤ 180 (15%), ≤ 190 (24%), ≤ 200 (16%), and above (11% );
- usable volume (l): up to 200 (21%), ≤ 250 (47%), ≤ 300 (17%), ≤ 350 (6%), ≤ 400 (6%);
- energy consumption, class: “A” (39%), “A +” (50%), “A ++” (11%);
- noise level, dB: ≤ 38 (13%), ≤ 40 (40%), ≤ 42 (32%), ≤ 44 (14%), and higher (3%);
Most popular features
- outweighing of doors (21%);
- antibacterial protection (16%);
- With Full No Frost (9%);
- fast freezing (13%);
- door closing alert (12%);
- rapid cooling and freezing (5%);
- and 3% for the “holiday” mode, child protection, and an inverter compressor;
- hidden door handles (34%);
- dual circuit cooling (20%);
- touchscreen display (16%);
- freshness zone (11%);
- deodorization (9%);
- ice generation (6%);
- two compressors (4%).
By drawing attention to this rating, it is possible to understand which of the additional features buyers considered most important.
Also on our website you can read the article “5 unsuccessful models of refrigerators”, which we do not recommend to take.
Top 4 best budget refrigerators up to 20 000 rubles
In the segment of inexpensive refrigerators up to 20,000 rubles, there is no sense in counting on any additional functions. Each manufacturer will give you about the same set. You need to decide whether you are ready to tinker with manual defrost or better pay for No frost. We picked up the best models that can be bought in retail chains as of August 2018.
ATLANT XM 4010-022
- Large volume 283 – 115 l. Freezer., 168 l. Refrigerator.
- Great price from 16 000 rubles
- Dimensions 60x63x161 cm
- Low noise
- freezer bottom
- convenient door containers
- At not big sizes, powerful freezing
- Thaw drip system
- Sometimes buyers notice the appearance of a “fur coat” on the back wall, so you need to defrost the refrigerator periodically.
- To defrost, you will have to move the refrigerator away – the pallet is at the back.
In general, ATLANT XM 4010-022 is an ideal budget refrigerator that is notable for its large volume and usability. The disadvantages are inherent in all state employees with drip defrosting system.
ATLANT XM 4021-000
The senior fellow model XM 4010-022, has all the same advantages and disadvantages. Having paid 3000 rubles, you get a larger volume of the refrigerating chamber for 52 liters, which is quite significant.
- An even larger volume of the refrigerator compartment volume is 230 liters versus 168, the total volume is 345l.
- More expensive HM 4010-022 for 3000 rubles, the average price of 19 000 rubles.
- Dimensions 60x63x186 cm
- Attractive design
- Consumes 354 kWh / year
- All other advantages are no different from the model XM 4010-022
Exactly the same as in the model above, and they are associated with a drip manual defrost system. You need to defrost the refrigerator periodically to work correctly.
BEKO RCNK 335K00 W
The first representative in the segment of state employees with the system No frost. The average price of 21,000 -22,000 rubles, which somewhat exceeds the criteria of our rating, but still fits into the big picture. The functionality is practically the same, everything is standard for state employees.
- The No frost system is the main giant plus for this money.
- Compact. Dimensions 54x60x201cm. Width 54 centimeters – the narrowest refrigerator, perfect for limited space or the need to fit in a “niche”.
- Roomy – the volume of 300 liters.
- Electromechanical control.
- 4 drawers in the freezer.
- Freezing capacity – 7 kg / day.
- Signals about the open door.
- Low noise level – 40 dB.
- 24 months guarantees.
- There are not many reviews on the Internet, basically everything is positive.
- There are complaints about the quality of materials. We believe that this is trivial for budget models.
Indesit EF 16
Another representative of a well-known brand with a sitefrost and a price of 20,000 – 22,000 rubles. It differs from BEKO by a reduced height, but an increased width and depth of 60x64x167 cm. Accordingly, the net volume has decreased to 256 liters. Therewith, the refrigerator compartment is of sufficient size, and the freezer is not large – 75 liters.
- All the same No frost. Atlant for 16 000 rubles gives a greater amount, with similar functionality. But No frost makes Indesito a fat plus. If you are not ready to engage in manual defrosting – choose between Indesit and BEKO.
- Spacious refrigerator compartment – 181 liters.
- Climatic class N, ST. Energy saving class A, 342 kWh / year.
- Convenient display inside – allows you to accurately control the temperature.
- Small freezer – 75 liters.
- Noisy – based on customer feedback.
- 12 months guarantees
Top rankings from 20,000 rubles to 30,000
This segment is closer to the budget than the average, respectively, the choice of functions will not be much different. Distinctive features of this segment: No frost, electronic control, large volume, energy saving A +. The rating is made taking into account the cost, respectively, at the end there will be more functional models. We took the best deals from each manufacturer.
Indesit DF 4180 W and Indesit DFE 4200 W, DF 4181
Produced in Russia. Series 4000 from Indesit have common features and a similar cost of about 23,000 rubles, but there is a significant difference, from which it is worth repelling. The size of the refrigeration and freezer 4180 W – 227/106 liters. height 180 cm., 4180 W – 253/75 l 200 cm. Depending on your needs, you can choose the appropriate option.
- No frost
- Energy Saving A +
- LED backlight – bright
- Design – look modern
- Large shelving options
- Two boxes of freshness zone – smells of vegetables and fruits do not mix.
- SuperFreeze mode – Super Freeze
- 12 month warranty
- Electromechanical control – in more expensive models electronic.
- No temperature indication
- No open door indication
- Acceptable noise – 70% of buyers say quiet operation, 30% say noisy. Apparently everyone has different evaluation criteria. We do not recommend to buy an apartment or studio.
Total. Roomy fridge for reasonable money with full No frost.
Indesit DF 5200
Paying 2000 – 3000 rubles can be purchased Indesit 5000 series. In comparison with the previous series, you will receive an electronic temperature control Smart Control and a display with temperature indication. The average cost of 25 000 -26 000 rubles.
- No frost
- Electronic temperature control Smart Control – several sensors constantly monitor the temperature, help to avoid drops.
- Display with temperature display
- Sound indication of an open door
- Supercooling, super-freezing
- Roomy – volume 359l
- Retractable shelves freezer that are fixed stops.
- 2 separate drawers of freshness zone
- The thought-over shelf for bottles on a door, with fixing.
- Noise – almost all refrigerators with no frost in the budget segment have this drawback. We would even call it a “feature.” We read all the reviews of Yandex Market about this model, there is a factory flaw with a pallet. Here is a quote from one of them: “The plastic water tray touches (or rather falls on the motor, because of this there is a rattling. Therefore, the husband unscrewed two bolts, raised the tray above and fixed it again! And that’s it! It works silently, freezes more than qualitatively, Very pleased with the purchase! “
- The smell of plastic – only for the first time. Again, the “feature” of budget models. There is a little life hacking – to wash the refrigerator with a solution of water and vinegar, the smell almost immediately disappears.
- Limited warranty against competitors – 12 months
ATLANT XM 4425-089 ND
Huge refrigerator 206 cm tall and a volume of 342l. (314l. Of useful volume) from the Belarusian brand. The model is quite new, but has already collected a lot of positive feedback. Cost 29 980 rubles (marketers know their stuff). Freezing system No frost, which is somewhat unusual for Atlanta, mainly produces refrigerators with manual type.
- No frost.
- Powerful compressor – freezes up to 7kg. per day.
- Supercooling, superfrost, temperature display on the display, timer
- Open door indication
- Holiday mode, child protection
- Sophisticated ergonomics – 3 shelves rearranged in height, 2 separate drawers of freshness zone, 4 drawers in the freezer
- Large usable volume
- Modern design – similar to older brothers Samsung and LG
- 3 year warranty
- Model new, very few reviews. It is worth relying only on the credibility of the brand.
Excellent model in terms of price / quality. You can also pay attention to the XM 4425-069 ND, XM 4521-000 ND, XM 4424-049 ND – about the same, with minor differences in the design and volume of the cameras. The main functionality of this series is similar, the quality is on the same level.
Liebherr CUsl 2811
The representative of the German brand. We cannot give the TOP of this model, but it is worth mentioning it. The average price is about 30,000 rubles. What features offer for this cost? Exactly the same thing that Atlant and Indesit offer in their refrigerators up to 20,000 rubles. But here you get a premium brand and high quality materials. Just go to the reviews on the Yandex market, you can immediately see how the manufacturer is attentive to its customers, they respond to each customer, to each review. In terms of functionality, it is correct to compare with the beginning of our top, so we will only highlight features. Adherents of the brand and believe so understand what they overpay.
- Thaw drip system
- class A ++ (174 kWh / year)
- 263l – total volume, a small freezer for 2 boxes of 53l.
- Stainless steel handle with integrated pusher
- Refrigerator material – stainless steel
- A ++ – 174 kWh / year, saving first
- Branded bottle shelf
- Compactness – 55 cm. width
- SmartFrost Technologies
- Produced in Bulgaria, 24 months. guarantees. There is a detailed review on https: //
Refrigerator rating from 30,000 to 40,000 rubles
The most interesting price segment. A-brands Samsung, LG, Liebherr, Bosh with a decent functionality and excellent quality are entering the battle for buyers. Note, in terms of the number of sales, Samsung takes the first place, the full leader of the top.
Samsung RB-30 J3200EF
One of the most worthy and affordable offers from the RB-30 series is the average price of 35,000 rubles. In this series, there is a model that is 3000 rubles cheaper than the RB-30 J3000WW, it differs in color and lack of display.
- No frost – a distinctive feature of the manufacturer
- Very quiet 39 dB
- Inverter compressor Digital Inverter – 10 years warranty
- Roomy – 213 l. / 93l. useful volume
- Energy saving A + (272 kWh / year)
- Roomy shelves on the door, lockable medicine box, easy slide drawer, backlight better than LG, bottle shelf
- Additional functions: display (very informative menu), “vacation” mode, door re-hanging, open door display, All-around Cooling, even temperature distribution, super-freezing
- Quality materials, no smell.
- Great design
- Assembly Poland, 12 months. guarantees
- 6 egg tray
- No freezer light
- There is no ice generator and molds.
On sale you can meet the RB-33 J3420BC – a stylish black and RB-33 J3200WW, which are more expensive by 4000 rubles. Surcharge for height 185cm. and the volume of 328l. The rest is no difference.
LG GA-B389 SMQZ
Competitor model RB-30 from Samsung. Similar functions and the price of 34 000 rubles. The main feature of the presence of an inverter compressor, display, control from a smartphone and No frost. Pay attention to the spaciousness, almost all models in this category from LG are losing to Samsung.
- Total no frost
- Inverter compressor
- Display, the ability to control from the smartphone
- Additional functions: eco mode, quick freeze, door reweighing, sound indication of an open door, Multi air flow, holiday mode
- Freshness zone with odor absorption filter
- Reliable shelves, high-quality materials, stainless steel, the presence of two lockable boxes on the door
- In comparison with the Samsung RB-30 capacity is less. 3 liter jars can not be put without removing one shelf.
- Inconvenient shelves on the door, which are separated by “useless” separator
- Short connection cable
- Microwave or TV can not be put on top, you can damage the “brains”
- It’s impossible to put in a niche, there is a cooling net in the side walls, the refrigerator will overheat
If you need a model for more, please note LG GA-B429 SMQZ, the older model of the same series. Price from 38 000 rubles. Dimensions
Samsung RB-37 J5200WW
Two-meter giant price of 40 000 p. based on data from Yandex makret, but in practice it costs 42 000 rub. Height 201 cm, volume 367l. The advantages are similar to the model above the RB-30 J3200EF, the main difference is in volume. Added an additional branch of the freshness zone, there are two of them. The rest of the refrigerator on the characteristics is the same as the RB-30 J3200EF, so reread all the advantages and disadvantages that we wrote above.
A great option from the German brand. Roomy two-meter model with a useful volume of 315l. A distinctive feature is the AirFreshFilter anti-bacterial filter, which removes all odors from the refrigerator. The rest of the functionality is standard.
- No frost
- Volume 315l.
- Additional functions: door reweighting, display, electronic temperature control, AirFreshFilter, open door indication, superfreeze, supercooling, food storage calendar
- Many options for the location of the shelves
- No separate shelf for ice
- Energy class: A. At competitors A + and A ++
- Non-inverter compressor
Very controversial model that loses LG and Samsung. The brand, though German, is produced in Russia.
Liebherr CUwb 3311, Liebherr CUfr 3311
Compact elegant model from the Bulgarian brand. In this segment, this option is the narrowest 55cm., Height 181cm, capacity 294l. Premium quality, reliability and durability, comfortable handles with a pusher, but poor technical equipment. The price is about 37,000 rubles.
- Quality materials
- Stylish appearance, SwingLine design
- SmartFrost – less frost is formed, the refrigerator rarely needs to be defrosted.
- Additional fukntsii: outweighing the door, superfrost, supercooling
- Economical A ++
- Quiet thanks to drip system
- Handles with pushers, it is very convenient to open and close
- Production Bulgaria, 2 years warranty.
- Thaw drip system
- One regulator for refrigeration and freezer compartment