Every person in his life is in pain. Discomfort caused by mechanical damage or any disease, annoying, and in some cases do not even allow to live a normal life because of severe discomfort. That is why when such pain occurs, a person tries to get rid of it as quickly as possible.
Toothache quite rarely can be eliminated with the entire pill. Why is toothache so intense and strong? This is due to the peculiarities of the structure of the teeth. This will be discussed in more detail later in the article.
To get rid of such a serious problem as toothache, you will need go to the dental clinic. There, a qualified specialist will be able to identify the cause of the pain, determine the possible consequences of starting the problem, and also prescribe a treatment to eliminate the pain.
But not everyone has the opportunity to consult a doctor to eliminate pain. There are also situations where the pain must be eliminated at least for a while, until such time as it becomes possible to consult a dentist. Buy medicine is also not always possible. That is why people often try deal with the pain yourself. What can be done at home when a tooth aches? What to do to reduce pain? What should be done when pain occurs? How can you anesthetize your teeth? What is the need for a toothache? All this will be described in this article.
Why does a tooth hurt?
For a start it is worth saying a few words about why toothache occurs.
Tooth consists of dentin. On top of the tooth is covered with enamel, which gives it a white color. Inside there is a cavity that contains connective tissue, vessels and nerves – pulp. In the event that the enamel and dentin are damaged, the nerves of the pulp in some way communicate with the oral cavity, which leads to the likelihood of bacteria on them and food debris.
The ingress of various chemical compounds on the pulp leads to its inflammation. Inflammation process leads to poor blood flow. Also, do not forget about the appearance of edema and nerve irritation. Here it is worth noting the fact that the intensity of pain provides precisely the presence of edema, due to which the pulp expands, while being limited by dentine, and squeezes the nerve endings.
There are several pathological processes, the main manifestation of which is toothache. The pain is due to the fact that in these processes affected pulp and dental nerves. We are talking about the following processes:
- Deep caries. In this process, there is damage to the dentin and tooth enamel, which leads to the fact that the oral cavity communicates with the pulp. Pain occurs when the pulp gets on the nerves of food, which in this case becomes a chemical irritant, and bacteria, which causes irritation. It may be noted that the pain often appears after eating, which again confirms the above. The intensity of the pain is reduced in the event that hygienic treatment of the oral cavity and the whining tooth with warm water is carried out;
- Pulpitis. As you can already guess from the name of this process, the whole problem lies in the palpe, namely in its inflammation. In this case, pain can occur with little or no reason. Toothache with pulpitis is manifested mainly at night. Usually, pulpitis can be observed after the patient has visited the dentist, for example, for filling. Inflammation of the pulp under the set filling is characterized by throbbing pain, a slight swelling of the cheek may also occur;
- Periodontitis The pain occurs in the ligaments that hold the tooth in the alveoli of the jaw. Toothache, manifested as a result of periodontitis, is aching and very intense, although it may subside periodically. If you press on the affected tooth, the pain will increase. Also worth noting is the fact of swelling of the gums around the tooth;
- Pericoronitis. Usually this process is observed mainly in young children, as it is associated with the eruption of new teeth. Pericoronitis can be indicated by inflammation of the gums at the site of the tooth erupting. Also pericoronitis can also be observed in adults. This process is associated with the emergence of the so-called wisdom tooth;
- Incorrect tooth treatment. The pain may appear as a result of tooth filling, but if the nerve was not removed and its canal treatment was not performed. Inflammation can occur if, after sealing, a sufficient amount of antiseptic solution was not used to treat the place of installation of the seal. Pain can be removed after removal of the nerve. In some cases, it will also require the use of some painkillers;
- Gingivitis. So called inflammation of the gums, in which dentin is exposed. The pain in this case is not constant, but intensifies when food comes into contact with the tooth. You can also note one circumstance that can manifest itself in gingivitis. It is about bad breath;
- The development of toothache under the crown. The pain may occur if the tooth was not sufficiently prepared for the prosthesis. This process, which causes toothache, can cause further complications, so that even more unpleasant sensations can be encountered. There may be perforation of the channels after filling, as well as the appearance of a small purulent cavity at the apex of the root. The appearance of pain has no connection with the use of food.
Lack of pain – also a sign
It is also likely to encounter such an inflammatory process of the tooth, in which the cheek may swell, but at the same time pain may not be. The swelling of the cheeks is already a reason to go to the dentist, as it may indicate the occurrence of an inflammation process. Severe pain may just come later, and will have to relieve anyway.
If the tooth hurts – what to do? What is the need for a toothache?
If you have a toothache you can perform some actions, which will help get rid of it at home:
- When pain occurs, it is recommended to immediately take care of certain hygiene procedures of the oral cavity. We are talking about the removal of all food debris that can irritate the pulp, and then just brush your teeth;
- In the event that there is a nonsteroidal anesthetic in the home medicine cabinet, it is recommended to take it immediately. We are talking about such drugs as analgin, ketanov, tempalgin. They are able to stop the pain for a while, which will allow to be patient before the visit of the doctor;
- Mouth rinsing may help in some cases. baking soda solution. In almost every kitchen you can notice the very baking soda in the box, the design of which has not changed for many years, so there will be no problems with this. A solution of soda will remove the pain and the process of inflammation that causes it;
- It is recommended not to breathe through the mouth, as the air flow to the tooth can cause increased pain. A very simple advice worth paying attention to;
- When periodontitis appears and develops, attachment of something cold to the site of pain can help. You can attach a piece of ice to the tooth itself or to the cheek, to the place where the pain is concentrated;
- In the event that a patient has the presence of an abnormal bite, which affects the increase in pain, it is better for him to keep his mouth slightly open;
- A very effective tool in case of severe toothache may be vodka. No, you do not need to take it inside. It will be necessary only moisten a vodka fleece and attach it to a sore tooth or gum. Vodka contains alcohol, which will have an anesthetic effect and will lead to subsiding pain. It is recommended to use vodka, not pure alcohol. Do not forget that alcohol in its pure form can cause burns to the tissues of the oral cavity. Instead of vodka, you can use alcohol solution of calendula;
- Edema of the pulp can be removed by applying a piece of fat to the site of inflammation. This will help to cope with the swelling, which, in turn, will reduce the pressure on the nerves;
- Do not forget about the old folk recipes, which have long been used and do not lose their relevance. Can turn to medicinal herbs, which can help with toothache. It is about preparing an infusion of chamomile, sage or hypericum. These herbs have anti-inflammatory properties that help to cope with pain. Infusion should simply rinse the mouth;
- Sometimes you can use the most unusual ways. Few people know, but to reduce toothache is possible without direct impact on the inflamed area. It may sound strange, but the fact remains. The fact is that pain can be conquered with the help of palm skin massage between the first and second fingers using an ice cube. The impact on this zone can affect the reduction of pain, as the impact is on the reflexogenic zone. Massage should be done on the arm, on the side of which there is a sore tooth.