How to rinse your mouth when your teeth hurt: effective recipes
Toothache is the cause of not only unpleasant feelings, sleepless nights, but also an unstable psychological state.
Considering that, according to the “law of meanness”, it begins at a time when it is impossible to visit a doctor: very often sharp or aching pain occurs in the evening, or even at night, so it is important to know how to deal with this cruel “guest”.
About the causes of pain
Soreness in the teeth most often occurs for such reasons:
- in ruined by development caries tooth remains food: especially pain is felt after eating sharp, sour;
- severe pain can provoke pulpitis, when bacteria reach the pulp and begin their vital activity, causing inflammatory processes;
- enamel damage leads to the fact that the tooth begins to react sharply to different foods: spicy, hot, cold. This phenomenon can occur even after ordinary teeth whitening in the clinic.
Curative and soothing rinses
Considering that after the onset of pain and before a visit to the doctor, sometimes a sufficiently long period of time passes, and it is impossible to endure the pain, the question immediately arises: how to alleviate the condition and remove unpleasant sensations.
One of the win-win options for toothache are gargles, which have long been proven to be effective.
Moreover, if at home there was no special professional means for rinsing the oral cavity – it does not matter, you can use the folk, which are always at hand.
The essence of rinsing with toothache and its sedative, analgesic effect is in several points:
- By washing away food debris from decayed teeth, the “irritant” is removed, and, respectively, the pain is relieved, in order to consolidate the achieved result before going to the doctor, you can plug the hole with a cotton swab.
- If the pain in the tooth arose as a result of pulpitis, the rinsing will bring not so strong effect, and sometimes almost imperceptible (it all depends on the characteristics of the human body and its pain threshold). The usefulness of rinsing in this case is that in this way increased blood flow to the problem site, as a result, the outflow of toxins, pus, decomposition products.
- Teeth pain is often referred to as those inflammatory processes that occur in the gums. Often they occur because of the remnants of food that has fallen into the gum pocket, in some cases this can provoke the development of caries in the root area. In this case, when rinsing the mouthleftover food is washed out, preventing the development of caries and inflammatory processes.
Five popular products – our TOP-5 rinses
The struggle with the soreness of the teeth and gums is so serious a question that the list of means of dealing with it is simply enormous.
But consumers and dentists confidently call top mouthwash products, which have proven themselves to be effective in combating inflammation and pain in the teeth.
So, than consumers and professionals recommend to rinse your teeth:
- CloSYS Antiseptic Oral Rinse with Flavor Control – a remedy that dentists have chosen and is characterized as a powerful antiseptic that destroys 99% of the microbes in the oral cavity, thereby improving the condition of the gums, breath, prevention and treatment of tooth pain.
- Listerine Antiseptic Cool Mint Mouthwash – antiseptic, which kills most of the bacteria, while composed of natural ingredients: menthol, eucalyptus. In addition to these advantages, the tool is approved by the Association of American Dentists.
- Colgate Peroxyl Antiseptic Oral Cleanser – means for rinsing the oral cavity, which not only provides fresh breath, the destruction of pathogenic bacteria, but also helps fight caries.
- Beyond Antiseptic Mouthwash. If you are really concerned about the health of your teeth and mouth, this tool is for you, as it protects you from pain, education and caries development for twelve hours.
- Orajel Antiseptic Mouth Sore Rinse – an ideal remedy for gum health: attacks and destroys bacteria.
Using all available means
Traditional medicine is knowledge that has been handed down from generation to generation and has proven to be effective. For many hundreds of years accumulated a lot of recipes for the preparation of mouthwash, effective in combating toothache. The most popular of them have survived to our days, and are popular not only among patients, but also among dentists.
Rinses, traditionally used by many people, if they have a toothache or ache:
- Soda solution. For one glass of warm water you will need half a small spoonful of soda. In warm water (36-37 C), dissolve soda completely and start rinsing according to the recommendations below. This tool helps to fight bacteria, relieves pain, eliminates unpleasant odor, reduces the inflammatory process. Dentists advise to use this tool after medical procedures, and you can safely apply it yourself, as it has no negative effect.
- Prepare according to the package instructions. oak bark tincture, and you will get an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial agent. Rinse no less than three hours.
- Chamomile decoction – Another traditional tool that is used to combat toothache. One cup of water requires one spoon of dry raw material, which is steamed in a water bath. After the agent infusions, it must be cooled to a temperature of 36 degrees and start rinsing.
- No less widely used in dentistry and sage decoction, which relieves toothache, kills bacteria. Appreciated remedy for its anti-inflammatory characteristics, antibacterial.
- Its sedative properties are famous Melissa, therefore, it would be good to use it to rinse your mouth, especially if you are in pain. Brew the leaves at the rate of one tablespoon per glass of water. After insisting, cool and you can rinse your mouth for fifteen minutes. A noticeable relief will come after the third procedure.
- Sore teeth are treated infusion of onion peel. For its preparation you will need a glass of water and a single onion husk. Pour boiling water over the raw material and let it stand for three hours, then rinse your mouth. The more often and longer the rinsing will take place, the more thoroughly the food particles and dead tissue will be washed out, the faster the pain will come.
- You can prepare a more complex tool based on 200 milliliters of novocaine (10%), a protein of one homemade egg, and a small spoon of table salt. Mix all the ingredients well. Rinse for fifteen minutes. Give special attention to the sick tooth, which should hold the medicine. This option is even suitable for teeth that hurt under the crown.
In addition to the undoubtedly important information about the most effective means, you need to know the general rules for rinsing, which are often more important than the drugs themselves, medicines or popular recipes:
- Rinse solution should be a comfortable temperature – from 37 to 45 degrees and even when it comes to hot rinsing, the highest temperature can be 45 degrees Celsius. More hot or cold remedies can only aggravate the condition, increasing pain.
- The effect of rinsing will be achieved if each procedure will last at least 15 minutes and repeat every two to three hours.
It must be remembered that no rinsing does not replace the full treatment of a dentist and is used either as an accompanying procedure or as a temporary visit to a specialist.
Dangerous means – remember to never apply!
Before you start rinsing, especially without the recommendations of a specialist, study the means that you can not rinse, but there are a decent amount of them:
- hydrogen peroxide can not only provoke a chemical burn, but also, once in the formed hole, it will begin to decompose, releasing bubbles, thereby bringing even more discomfort and pain;
- vodka, cognac, which very often suggest rinsing the mouth can burn soft tissues, although they nevertheless possess antiseptic properties;
- gasoline, kerosene – a tool that people can advise "aged" only harm health, but they will not affect the tooth in any way;
- potassium permanganate, especially its steep solution may cause a burn.
Considering that the most frequent cause of pain in the teeth is neglect of the rules of oral hygiene, the most effective remedy will be prophylactic rinsing of the teeth after each meal, but the remedy can already be selected by everyone or by consulting a dentist.
Rinses with toothache
Toothache is a problem that everyone has encountered at least once in their life. Exhausting and not giving rest, this pain completely knocks out the normal rhythm of life. In the event that there is an opportunity to immediately visit the dentist, the problem is solved qualitatively and quickly. However, it is not always possible to immediately visit the hospital, and then it is worth remembering about various folk recipes for rinsing to relieve pain. Of course, they will not be able to cure a bad tooth, but they will definitely help to calm it down for a while. Rinses are used as a temporary measure that does not replace visits to the doctor.
Why can not tolerate toothache
Teeth hurt, as a rule, start due to traumatic damage (chipped part of the tooth) or due to neglected caries. Some people, not wanting to use analgesics, which have significant side effects on the body, begin to bravely endure a toothache, hoping that the tooth will gradually get rid of and everything will go away by itself. However, this approach is fundamentally wrong. The fact is that tolerate toothache is unacceptable. It has been scientifically proven that with long-term effects of pain on the body, significant damage is caused to it, as the following occurs:
- damage to brain cells;
- damage to nerve cells that transmit impulses of the pain signal to the brain;
- violation of the emotional state (with long-term and constant pain syndrome depression develops easily);
- destruction of heart cells;
- coma from acute pain shock (occurs with toothache in people with low pain threshold);
- mental disorders.
Considering the above, it can be stated without any doubt that if a tooth has started to hurt, an attack should be urgently removed.
Complications of toothache
By itself, toothache can not cause complications, as it is not a disease, but only its symptom. If you do not pay attention to the pathological process occurring in the tooth in time, which is signaled by pain syndrome, serious complications can arise, sometimes even life-threatening. Most often, when the disease of the teeth is neglected, the patient can easily arise:
- abscess of the tooth root;
- need for tooth extraction.
Separately, it is worth highlighting the complications arising in the absence of root abscess treatment. There may be two:
Both of these conditions are dangerous for the life of the patient.
Toothache gargling recipes
In the event that a visit to the doctor is not possible, traditional methods of treatment are used, which not only relieve pain, but also inhibit the development of the disease, which is very important in preventing the occurrence of dangerous complications.
The fastest rinsing
- Very quickly relieve pain strong green tea with garlic. To prepare the medicine, chop the garlic clove and pour one cup of hot green tea. When the composition is cooled to a comfortable temperature for rinsing, it is filtered. To obtain a long-lasting analgesic effect and maximum disinfection of the affected tooth, the entire dose of the medication should be used for the procedure. Even with an open nerve, green garlic tea can help – it will relieve pain for 4–5 hours. During the day, the procedure is repeated as many times as required.
- Rinsing soda with iodine also quickly bring relief. For it is necessary to take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and dissolve in 1 cup of boiling water. After that, add 7 drops of iodine. When the temperature of the composition becomes acceptable for rinsing, it is mixed again and the procedure is carried out. The pain will subside after 5 minutes of rinsing. Repeat this treatment can be no more than 4 times a day.
- Rinsing soda and salt very effectively relieves toothache. Prepare it as follows: in 250 milliliters of warm water dissolve 1 dessertspoon of baking soda and salt. For 1 procedure, use 1 serving of medication. The pain passes in the first minutes of rinsing. Per day you can use no more than 4 rinses. High dosage may irritate the gums.
Remedies for long-term toothache relief
- An excellent remedy for eliminating toothache is rinsing sage. To obtain the drug take 1 large spoonful of vegetable raw materials and brewed with 250 milliliters of boiling water. Having covered with a cover, the structure insist within 15 minutes. After straining the drug is used for rinsing. For one procedure, use 1 cup of infusion. On the day, rinsing can be repeated an unlimited number of times.
- Camomile flowers – Another great cure for toothache. To prepare the composition for rinsing, two large spoons of vegetable raw material are poured with 1 liter of boiling water and infused until the temperature of the preparation becomes acceptable for the procedure. For 1 rinse need to take 100 milliliters of the drug. On the day you can use the entire liter of infusion.
- Effectively relieves pain and Oak bark. To obtain the funds used in rinsing, take 1 tablespoon of crushed bark and pour 1 cup boiling water. Next, the drug insist, warming with a blanket for 60 minutes. Rinse spend at least 10 minutes, using the procedure for the entire portion of the medicine. Oak bark extract can be used no more than 5 times per day.
- Peppermint also recommended for getting rid of toothache. To obtain an anesthetic, you need to take 2 tablespoons of dried herbs and pour 250 milliliters of hot water. Having given the preparation for 30 minutes, it is filtered and fully used for 1 rinse. To consolidate the effect obtained, after rinsing, the plant mass remaining after straining can be applied to the gum of the diseased tooth.
- If available propolis infusion, it will be able to quickly cope with a bout of toothache. For rinsing in 1 cup of warm water, 5 drops of the drug should be diluted. The procedure for this medicine can be carried out no more than 4 times a day. As a rule, the pain in the tooth subsides after 15–20 minutes.
- With toothache, you can use and broth of onion peel. To obtain the drug, you must take 15 grams of husk and pour it with 1 cup of boiling water. Then the drug is boiled for 10 minutes. After it is filtered and left to cool to a pleasant temperature rinse. For 1 rinse, take 1/2 cup of broth.
What can not rinse a bad tooth
There are a number of tools that rinse your mouth with pain in the tooth should not be. Despite the fact that they can relieve pain, their action is too aggressive for the mucous, so there is a risk of serious complications. To get rid of the pain are not used:
The first 4 drugs very quickly cause a severe burn of the mucous membrane, which will have to be treated with the assistance of a specialist. The latter means may even relieve pain for a short time, but it will very easily lead to infection of the tooth cavity and aggravation of the patient’s condition.
Removing toothache with various home methods, we must not forget that this is only a temporary measure, and not a complete treatment. Only a dentist can save a person from dental problems and prevent their loss.
Toothache took by surprise – than to rinse a tooth in pain
It often happens that a tooth starts to hurt at the wrong time.
At night, on weekends, at work – at such moments it is not always possible to immediately seek help from a dentist.
Pain sensations are very difficult and, of course, I want to get rid of them.
For such cases, there are many methods that can alleviate the suffering and wait to see a doctor.
Causes of pain
A healthy tooth is not sick, but it is often the case that the appearance does not cause censure, and the whole problem is concentrated inside. Anyway, there are three causes of toothache:
- Caries. In this case, part of the tooth is destroyed, and the bare nerve endings begin to react to external stimuli that enter the carious cavity. It can be sour, sweet or spicy foods.
- Pulpitis. Inflammation occurs in the pulp chamber. Edema of the neurovascular bundle is compressed by serous or purulent exudate, which leads to severe pain. If you do not treat the diseased tooth in time, the pulpitis can develop into periodontitis. In this case, the cheek swells and the temperature rises.
- Enamel thinning or damage. This result can result in desk whitening of teeth, as well as long-term use of whitening toothpaste.
- Inflammation of the gums. When food particles get into the area between the gum and the tooth, it can lead to inflammation that can affect not only the oral mucosa, but also the root of the tooth.
Will rinsing help?
This procedure has a temporary effect, because it is not worth hoping that the tooth will recover after a few rinses.
Rinsing works in this way: in the process leached food and bacteria that irritate the tooth or gum.
If this is the cause of the pain, then relief will come rather quickly.
To prevent the recurrence of pain will help a piece of cotton, which closes the problem tooth – it will not allow food debris to get back to the affected area.
When pulpitis or periodontal rinsing will not give such a pronounced effect, as well as a quick result. But rinsing is still worth doing. The reason for this is the blood flow, which increases with rinsing. It will facilitate the early removal of decay products of inflamed tissue and toxins. Through this procedure, you can remove and purulent education, if the carious chamber is connected with the pulp chamber.
Rinsing will not help or will provide only poorly tangible assistance in the case of physiological features, as well as specifically taken pathology, which led to pain.
Among other things, rinsing can be harmful, if limited only to them and delay with going to the doctor.
Three rules for rinsing
In order to relieve pain, you need not only to prepare a solution or an infusion, but also to correctly perform the procedure itself. Otherwise, you can achieve the exact opposite result.
- Composition temperature should not be too high or too low. The optimum interval is from 37 to 42 degrees. If the temperature is higher, you can get burns of the mucous membranes, as well as pulp necrosis (in the worst case).
- Rinse frequency. It is foolish to expect long-term results from one procedure, because it is carried out every 2-3 hours.
- More attention should be paid to the diseased area. Do not thoroughly rinse the entire oral cavity, it is better to focus on the problem area – this will give the best result.
- The solution for rinsing the required temperature is collected in the tank – it is about one and a half liters.
- Half of a full throat is collected in the mouth and the problem area is intensively rinsed. It takes 20-30 seconds, after which the solution spits into the sink.
- Then repeat the procedure until all the solution is over. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
One of the best means to relieve pain are considered decoctions of herbs. They are designed not only to soothe, but also to some extent sanitize the oral cavity.
The following herbs are recommended:
With acute toothache
- Red wine – 200 ml;
- Linden or bee honey – 1 tsp;
- Rosemary, sage – 1/2 tsp.
Bring wine to a boil over low heat, then add rosemary and sage to a container (pan or ladle).
Let it boil for 3-4 minutes, then cool.
Then you need to strain the broth and add honey.
Thoroughly mix and rinse the resulting mouth cavity. This recipe is designed for three doses.
You can not leave broths the next day – natural ingredients do not contain preservatives, and therefore can not be stored for a long time. Every day should prepare a new solution.
Aspen shavings also have an analgesic effect. One tablespoon per cup of boiling water – put on fire and keep on low heat for 20 minutes. After this, cover the broth with a lid and insist for an hour. Next, drain and rinse as usual.
Often, the home first aid kit simply does not have all the necessary ingredients for the decoction, because some of them include materials such as oak bark and others.
Therefore, there are decoctions that are prepared on the basis of grass alone.
Chamomile, calendula, lemon balm and St. John’s wort – these herbs do an excellent job with pain without the support of other ingredients.
One spoon of dry grass is put into the glass and poured with boiling water. From above the glass is covered with a lid or saucer for 15 minutes, after which the broth is filtered.
Along with herbs, there are essential oils that can relieve pain. Clove oil and peppermint oil are considered the most effective. On their basis they make both solutions and lotions.
Salt and soda for toothache
The most famous and common tool are salt and soda.
They are available in every home and are able to cope with pain no worse than herbal decoctions.
These substances in addition to anesthesia will contribute to the rapid restoration of tissues, relieve inflammation, wash away food debris from the problem area, and also prevent bacteria from multiplying.
In warm water pour soda and salt in a ratio of 250 ml / 1 tsp. / 1 tsp. Stir and rinse your mouth every hour. For each rinse should prepare a new solution.
In addition to the well-known salt and soda, there are other methods that do not include little-known or unusual components – they are usually available at home or purchased at a pharmacy.
A decoction of onion peel is an effective remedy for toothache. To make it, you need to peel two large onions.
Rinse the husks and put in a saucepan, pour 250 ml of hot water. For 15 minutes, the pan should be closed with a lid or towel, and after this time, strain.
The resulting broth rinse mouth must be within 15 minutes. This procedure is repeated three times, after which, in most cases, the toothache disappears.
Another tool is tincture of propolis and calamus. These funds can be easily purchased at the pharmacy. A teaspoon of propolis tincture is mixed with a tablespoon of calamus spirit. This composition is kept in the mouth for about 10 minutes.
What can not rinse?
Many make a big mistake by rinsing their mouths with illegal drugs. This usually leads to negative consequences, such as burns of the mucous membranes or aggravation of pain. Here are the most common ones:
- Hydrogen peroxide. This fluid leaves a chemical burn in the mouth. When injected into the carious area, hydrogen peroxide exerts pressure on the problem area, thereby increasing pain.
- Strong solution of potassium permanganate. Some mistakenly believe that the more intense the color, the greater the effect will be achieved, but in fact it is not. It is impossible to rinse the mouth with potassium permanganate – it causes irritation and burns the oral mucosa.
- Combustible substances. Gasoline or kerosene does not solve the problem of a sick tooth, but it can lead to poisoning if some of them get inside.
- Alcohol. This substance is considered an antiseptic, but it also burns soft tissue. Also, if it enters the carious cavity, alcohol can cause pulp necrosis.
Traditional recipes are not inferior to them and in most cases are easy to prepare. But, no matter what means you have to resort to, you should not postpone the visit to the dentist, because none of them will make the tooth healthy.