Silicone removable dentures are various flexible designs that are used for both full and partial prosthetics.
Currently, silicone prosthetics is one of the most popular methods for restoring teeth, although it should be noted that the term “silicone” prosthesis is not entirely correct.
The term “silicone prosthesis” is applied to structures made of nylon, silicone, acrylic and, in part, to plastic prostheses.
Removable dentures have silicone soft basis and clamps. The remaining parts of the structure (for example, teeth) are most often made of plastic.
Silicone prosthetics, like any other, can have its advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore, before making a final choice in favor of the design, it is necessary to carefully weigh the pros and cons.
The advantages of artificial limbs made of silicone include:
- The presence of high elasticity of the structure, which does not cause discomfort when using it.
Photo: Removable silicone design nv upper and lower jaw
Removable dental prosthetics made of silicone has some downsides:
- Products do not withstand high chewing load. Therefore, experts do not recommend the use of silicone prostheses with full prosthetic teeth, especially the lower jaw.
- High requirements for cleaning products. Inadequate hygiene and the use of improper design care products can cause unpleasant odors and discoloration of the structure.
- Clamping the denture can injure the mucous membrane and cause the gums to sag.
- At prosthetics of several teeth or the whole jaw, atrophy of the bone tissue and its destruction associated with friction and increased pressure of the structure on the mucous membrane and the development of the inflammatory process are not excluded.
- In connection with the subsidence of the gum tissue, regular correction is required, up to a change in the structure. Prosthetics of one or two teeth does not require frequent fitting.
- Poor polishability of the product, causing accumulation of bacterial plaque on its surface. As a result, a hard coating is formed on the surface of the prosthesis, and the design acquires an unpleasant smell. To clear the structure of plaque, you must contact the dental clinic.
- Silicone dentures are quite expensive removable designs. Their cost, as compared with plastic products, is several times higher.
The presence of the listed disadvantages of silicone prostheses makes their use limited.
Given the high cost of silicone, the presence of obvious flaws, forcing dentists to opt for cheaper materials.
If you need to restore one or two teeth, the existing disadvantages can be neglected.
Video: Nylon prosthesis. Advantages and disadvantages"
Silicone constructions are established for patients who, due to some circumstances, have no opportunity to carry out non-removable prosthetics.
These circumstances include:
Photo: Temporary upper tooth prosthesis
- The presence of cardiovascular diseases.
- Disease diabetes.
- The presence of allergies to various materials and drugs.
- Bronchial asthma.
- Epileptic seizures.
- As temporary structures after implantation at the time of manufacture of a permanent denture.
- The presence of traumatic occupations.
- Periodontitis, periodontal disease.
- Restoration of missing teeth in children.
The use of silicone structures is not recommended in the presence of:
- Severe atrophy of the alveolar process.
- Periodontal disease III and IV degree, gingivitis, periodontitis with denote the root of the tooth.
- Pathology of the development of the coronal part of the supporting teeth.
- The height of the level of the gums of the abutment teeth.
- Low atrophied gums.
Prosthetics of teeth with removable silicone structures consists of two stages: clinical and laboratory.
- At the preparatory stage, dental treatment is carried out, dental deposits are removed, if necessary, the teeth are whitened. With the help of a dentist, a suitable model is selected for the patient.
- To make impressions of teeth, with the help of a special spoon and a plastic mass, which the doctor sends to the dental laboratory.
Photo: Making a prosthesis in the laboratory
- Made a mock jaw. The dental technician casts a plaster model of a future construction.
- Defining the boundaries of the structure.
- The material is placed in temopress.
- Processing of the finished product with cutters, fillets, brushes, followed by polishing.
The price of silicone designs is quite high, if we take into account all its shortcomings.
The cost of construction is influenced by the quality of the silicone and the number of teeth repaired.
The price of high-quality silicone designs in various clinics in the country ranges from 30-35,000 rubles.
The cost of the prosthesis can be reduced by using cheaper silicone, but no self-respecting dentist will guarantee the quality of this design.