If there is an unpleasant smell from under the crown of the tooth, then this may signal that food fragments fall under the design, or the tooth tissues are rotting.
If there is an odor from under the prosthesis, it is urgent to contact your dentist.
We must be prepared for the fact that the doctor can remove the design in order to assess the condition of the tooth.
Causes of odor may be related:
- With a loose fixation of the crown on the tooth, as a result, food debris and sugar dissolved in saliva are clogged up under the denture, which subsequently decompose, causing decay processes and the formation of an unpleasant odor under the structure.
- When depressurization (debonding of the structure with the stump of the tooth with the help of cement) of the crown. When saliva gets under the prosthesis, oxides form on the internal metal surface of the structure, which destroy the tooth under the crown.
- With poor treatment of the tooth before installing the crown on it.
Causes of tooth decay under crowns:
- Severe tooth decay before fixing crowns. Often, the patient is offered prosthetics with crowns, when the tooth, according to modern protocols, is to be removed. Hence the problems. With a strong destruction of the tooth – fixation of the crown – this is only a temporary measure, if the tooth is destroyed to the level of the gums, the most appropriate way out will be implantation,
Symptoms of tooth decay under the prosthesis
If there is a smell under the denture, then you should not postpone the visit to the doctor, because:
- Reproduction of pathogenic bacteria under the prosthesis can lead to the formation of a cyst under the crown of the tooth, the danger of which lies in the formation of the suppurative process in soft tissues.
- If the crown is depressurized, the formation of an inflammatory process under the structure, which is often complicated by flux, becomes inevitable. After it has been opened, the patient is required to undergo a course of antibiotic treatment.
- Odor formation can occur as a result of pulpitis or the development of secondary caries, leading to the destruction and decay of the tooth under the crown.
What to do
With the beginning of the process of tooth decay, it is impossible to stop it.
The design will remain on the remnants of the tooth until it is completely destroyed. Then the crown spontaneously fall out.
- If the reason for the appearance of an unpleasant odor is that the process of tooth decay has begun under the crown, the dentist will carry out the appropriate treatment aimed at preserving the tooth. Then re-prosthetics will be carried out.
- In the case when food remains fall under the crown, under it there is an active process of decay of not only the food, but also the tooth, which can also lead to irreversible consequences. Therefore, do not postpone the visit to the dentist.
It is best to contact the dentist at the moment when the tooth under the prosthesis whines a little. In this case, the problem can be solved in a short time, and it is not always necessary to remove the crown.
The desire of patients in any way to avoid re-prosthetics is a gross mistake.
Save the tooth should be, not the design. In case of untimely access to a doctor, the preservation of the tooth becomes impossible, and every day a delay brings the patient closer to the removal of such a tooth.