Experience shows that among the significant number of dental pathologies that modern man has to face, gingival recession is not the least of the last. It represents a progressive and rather dangerous process, leading to a gradual exposure of both the necks of the teeth and their roots.
With regards to getting rid of this scourge, the solution of this task is carried out by specialized specialists – doctors, periodontists. Appeal to them may not be necessary, since it is possible to increase gums at home in many cases – by using a lot of simple and at the same time effective techniques.
The main signs of gingival recession
Before proceeding to the enumeration of measures, the implementation of which allows you to restore the gums affected by the pathological process, it is necessary to pay attention to the symptoms most characteristic of it. This is explained by the fact that knowledge of the main manifestations of gingival recession helps to correctly differentiate this pathology – that is, to eliminate the likelihood of other problems, often with similar symptoms. If we highlight the most characteristic symptoms of gingival recession, their list will look like this:
- gradual reduction of the gums in size, visible visually;
- denigration of the dental root – one or more, which is determined by the specifics of the recession;
- bleeding gums, the intensity of which depends on the stage of the pathological process;
- the appearance of pain during brushing – especially if you use a stiff brush;
- hypersensitivity to thermal stimuli, as well as to sweet and sour foods.
Gum bleeding is a sign of gingival recession
In addition, in the absence of adequate treatment, pathological changes in the gingival tissues can lead to tooth loss – not only sick, but relatively healthy.
Considering this circumstance, it is impossible to delay with measures to counteract the gum recession, since it is almost impossible to cope with its hard stages at home.
Causes of Gum Dips
As is known, the gum is a shell that covers the bone tissue of the jaw, tightly adjacent to the dental surface. It is also worth adding that it is one of the components of the periodontal disease, and therefore the causes of its recession are most often caused by inflammatory ailments of the dental-toothed tissues, among which primarily stand out:
- periodontal disease and periodontitis.
As for other factors, the negative impact of which can provoke gum recession, the most common of them are presented below:
- anatomical features of the jaw structure;
- loss of teeth or their surgical removal;
- genetic predisposition;
- age changes;
- smoking and other bad habits (for example, excessive use of seeds);
- overly “assertive” brushing, leading to the development of inflammatory processes;
- bruxism (a disease characterized by a strong gnashing of teeth, usually during sleep);
- improper bite, which results in permanent gum trauma;
- vitamin C deficiency
Orthodontic wear may result in a gingival recession.
In addition, the wearing of orthodontic structures designed to align the rows of teeth — for example, bracket systems — can lead to gingival recession. It should be recognized that this happens in a relatively small percentage of cases: according to statistics, the pathology under consideration is diagnosed in every 25th patient wearing braces. It is also worth adding that the development of a recession of the gums in women can contribute to osteoporosis, which is a consequence of the lack of steroid sex hormones – estrogen.
In what cases is building up necessary?
Answering the question, it is reasonable to note that gum regeneration may be required for both aesthetic and therapeutic purposes. If we list the situations in which such build-up is mandatory, then first of all these include:
- the patient has periodontal disease or periodontitis;
- violation of teeth closing (wrong bite);
- use of implants or prostheses.
Having achieved proper restoration of gum tissues, it is possible to minimize the likelihood of the development of caries and guarantee the safety of teeth. In addition, the solution of the problem under consideration normalizes the sensitivity of the latter, thereby saving a person from discomfort when eating cold or hot food.
Gum tissue repair
It is also worth noting that augmentation of the gums may be required in other cases – when the tissues affected by the pathological process need to be restored for aesthetic purposes. For example, regeneration is justified if:
- the gums have irregular contours;
- soft tissue is damaged due to some bad habits;
- gums injured as a result of mechanical effects.
Practice shows that the build-up of gums, performed correctly, allows you to return their contours of the former beauty. Thus, after completing all the necessary procedures, a person can enjoy life again, without any fear for the aesthetics of his smile.
Use of herbal products
Now it’s time to talk about what provides for the restoration of gums using traditional techniques. First of all, it should be noted that it is rather difficult to provide the optimal amount of plastics with their help – especially if the recession is in a stage far from the initial one. Taking advantage of folk remedies, it is absolutely realistic to stop the pathological changes in tissues, and also to reduce to zero the inflammatory processes from which the gums suffer.
Do not neglect the advice of traditional medicine and in cases where the build-up involved specialized specialists – due to the fact that folk remedies can significantly speed up the healing process.
Oak bark is used as a decoction
It has long been proven that, in the first place, the restoration of gums is promoted by the means whose origin is vegetable. From time immemorial, they were used to prepare medicinal decoctions, which were rinsed out of the mouth after each meal. If we select the most effective means of the category under consideration, then their list will look as follows:
- Broth oak bark. This means, which reduces bleeding and accelerates the regenerative processes in the gingival tissues, must be applied three times a day, thoroughly rinsing the oral cavity. To prepare such a decoction, you need about 3 tablespoons of finely chopped oak bark and half a liter of water, brought to a boil.
- Chamomile decoction. No less effective folk remedy, which should be used at least 2 times a day for two decades in a row. Like oak bark, chamomile flowers relieve inflammation, as well as contribute to the speedy healing and restoration of damaged gums. Preparing this broth is extremely simple: for this, 2 tablespoons of flowers from the plant and 700 ml of boiling water are sufficient, in which they need to be infused for two hours.
- Broth mint and sage. A very remarkable combination of brewing each of the above herbs in the amount of one tablespoon produced for half an hour in 250 ml of boiling water.
In addition, medicinal plants such as aloe, St. John’s wort, yarrow and calendula help strengthen the gums.
Aloe juice – folk remedy treatment
Other techniques worth considering
Special attention is given to the fact that in addition to those listed above, there are many other effective means to increase gums at home. The ingredients included in their composition are extremely simple and accessible, and therefore the use of any of them can be advised to anyone who suffers from gingival recession. With regards to the most popular formulations used to solve this problem, these are primarily:
- Salt and iodine. The combination of these components is remarkable in that it is very close to sea water in its properties. It is very easy to prepare such a mixture for rinsing the mouth: three drops of iodine and ½ of a dessert spoon of salt dissolved in a glass of warm water suffice.
- Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and lemon juice. The first of these ingredients needs no more than ten drops, and the second and third – ½ dessert spoon each. This combination is designed to wipe gums affected by pathological processes daily.
- Honey and sea salt. This combination should also be applied to areas suffering from recession, at least once a day (preferably at bedtime). For the preparation of such a composition will require little, namely – 2 dessert spoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Regarding the last of the above items, it is reasonable to add that after applying the mixture mentioned in it to the gums, they should be thoroughly rinsed – after waiting just a few minutes.
Describing how to counteract the recession of the gums at home, it makes sense to highlight such a remarkable restorative procedure as a massage. The key advantage of the latter is simplicity, thanks to which it can be effectively performed by any person – and with minimal time costs. It is best to do it twice a day – while brushing your teeth, spending no more than five minutes on the entire procedure. It is also worth noting that the proper implementation of the massage of the gums involves the following key points:
- main movements should be carried out from the center of the jaw to its edges, and softer ones from the lower part of the gum to its edge;
- massage should be done after the teeth are cleaned – when food residue is completely removed;
- this procedure is best carried out in front of the mirror;
- Massaging movements should not cause discomfort, and therefore pressure on the gums should be carefully controlled.
As for what exactly to perform this useful procedure, there are several possible equivalent options. So, some prefer to use special brushes, while others are quite enough for ordinary ones. No less than those who make the massage of the gums with the fingers – “tools”, which are deservedly considered universal.
Products recommended for consumption
Anyone who wants to increase the gums suffering from recession, it is highly desirable to pay attention to such a moment as the observance of an extremely balanced diet. Provided for the latest products should contribute to the regeneration of gum tissue, thereby bringing the moment of their final recovery. In particular, the diet of such diets involves the use of the following products:
- Greens, thanks to which it is really possible to reduce the bleeding of the gums and increase the vascular tone. Typical examples of such products are parsley, dill and celery.
- Citruses that help restore damaged mucous membranes and significantly increase the resistance of tissues to any kind of negative factors.
- Dairy products, first of all remarkable for their calcium, an element that has a firming effect on both the gums and the teeth.
- Garlic and onions, since ancient times famous for their anti-inflammatory properties. It is also noteworthy that these products contain a lot of zinc, a mineral that promotes wound healing.
- Green tea, 500-600 ml of which, drunk in one day, gives an additional strength to the gums.
Nuts impede the development and appearance of tartar
In addition, a very positive role is played by nuts, which effectively prevent the appearance and development of tartar, as well as fish and seafood, which significantly strengthens the gum tissues affected by periodontal disease. Red wine is also noteworthy. Its moderate consumption minimizes inflammation anywhere in the mouth.
In conclusion, it remains to be noted that increasing the gums affected by the recession is not the easiest process. That is why special attention should be paid to the prevention of this scourge – a set of measures that allows to reduce the probability of its appearance to the lowest mark. Here they are:
- regular visits to the dentist – even if there are no visible problems;
- timely treatment of caries and periodontal disease;
- daily two-time cleaning of teeth, effectively counteracting the development of pathogenic microflora;
- general strengthening of the immune system, enhancing the protective capabilities of the body;
- Nerve Surge.
Experts strongly recommend to eliminate hypothermia and rely on the regular use of medicinal decoctions, regardless of the state of health of the oral cavity. Following these simple tips, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of a gingival recession, and therefore it makes sense to listen to each of them.