The incorrect position of the teeth is a problem of a large number of people, which is solved with the help of various orthodontic appliances.
Modern methods of straightening teeth provide not only the use of braces, but also many other structures that differ from each other in cost and principle of impact.
The content of the article:
Are there alternative ways?
Correction without the use of bracket systems is possible, but there is one caveat – the treatment will be effective only with small deviations in the formation of the dentition.
Usually, alternative alignment methods are shown in the following cases.:
- violation of the process of swallowing or breathing;
- a slight deviation of the location of one or more crowns;
- abnormal development of bite;
- prevention of the appearance of crooked teeth in children under 12 years of age;
- unwillingness to install braces for both adults and children.
Although the method of adjustment is preferred by the patient, only the dentist should deal with the final choice.
Specificity of leveling in adults
The alignment of crowns at home in adulthood has a certain specificity. Treatment without braces in adults has advantages in price, but it takes quite a long time, since the jaw bones have long since completed their formation.
In addition, adults often have problems such as crown fragility and severe bone atrophy, which makes the treatment much more difficult.
In this case alternative alignment methods can be used for weak curvature. Most often, for the correction of teeth in adults, eliners, lumineers and veneers are used.
Features of the correction in children
The optimal period for orthodontic treatment in children and adolescents is the age from 5 to 12 years, when the jaw bones are still malleable for correction.
Alternative straightening of teeth in children is the best option, since, unlike braces, it eliminates the primary cause of the curvature.
The choice of method is carried out by a dentist based on the causes of the anomaly and the characteristics of the child’s development:
- For example, for children who talk a lot, trainers are not suitable.
- In the presence of bad habits apply lip metallic bumpers.
- Plates are recommended to correct the position of the front teeth, to expand or narrow the dentition.
Overview of popular options
Alternative correction methods include removable orthodontic appliances. They differ in appearance, purpose and cost.
Aligners are one of the expensive treatment options without braces, as they are made only in the USA. In the laboratory, with the help of a special 3D technology, an exact model of the jaw is recreated before and after treatment.
Based on this method of pressing are formed from 10 to 50 aligners for a phased correction. Capes are made of completely transparent hypoallergenic material.
The high price is justified by the fact that, as a result, the shape of the aligners in detail repeats the contour of each crown, tightly adhering to their surface.
Straightening of teeth by caps in both adults and children. based on the principle of gradual pressure on the teeth, which is provided by a regular change of aligners.
What is the price of installing a veneer on the front tooth, we will tell in the next article.
Read the new review about the types and features of the use of the cap to align the teeth.
This technique has a lot advantages:
- getting used to aligners takes only a few hours;
- straightening takes place without discomfort;
- undemanding to care.
Among deficiencies correction caps can distinguish the duration of treatment and high cost.
To wear the aligners, there are the following testimony:
- poorly expressed crowding of crowns;
- cross bite type;
- abnormal length of some teeth;
- uneven arrangement of crowns.
- periodontal pathology in the acute stage;
- abnormal development of the jaw;
- severe somatic diseases;
- destruction of the alveolar process by more than half the root.
To restore the correct shape of the dentition, it is necessary to wear an aligner at least 20 hours a day. It can only be removed at the time of eating and cleaning teeth.
Replacement caps must be made in a timely manner. This usually happens once every 10 or 15 days.
While wearing, caps are treated once a day with aseptic solutions.
Trainers used primarily to correct replaceable and early bite. Begin treatment with elastopositioners from the age of 5, when the crowns are still well moved.
Correction with trainers requires constant dental control. To do this, every 2 months the doctor must conduct a preventive examination of the results of treatment.
Elastopositioners differ in certain benefits:
- no prior removal of impressions is required for production;
- use does not require any skills.
- long habituation period;
- discomfort during treatment;
- trainers are painted during use.
Elastopositioners are made from medical hypoallergenic silicone and polyurethane.
Depending on the material used there are several types of trainers:
For treatment, the trainer is selected using a special ruler. Large devices are used with crowding crowns, small – with diastema.
The main purpose of trainers – correction of the following pathologies:
- chin muscle hyperactivity;
- respiratory failure;
- mild crown displacement;
- abnormalities in the growth and development of the jaw;
- non-closure of the dentition.
Contraindications to wear elastopozitsionerov in most cases are relative:
- mesial type bite;
- deviation from the standard position of the midline by 3 mm or more;
- rotation in a complex form;
- open bite;
- diseases of ENT organs in the acute stage.
In order for the treatment to be successful, you must wear trainers for 1-2 hours during the day and wear them for 6-8 hours at night. Carrying time can be increased at the request of the patient.
The whole process treatment can be divided into 3 stages:
- Wearing an initial soft model. This stage lasts up to 8 months, during which there is a gradual adaptation to the device.
- Using the final tough model for 8 months, which more strongly affects crowns.
- Use of retrainers to consolidate the effect.
Trainers are a simple design that does not require special care. It is enough to clean them regularly with soap and rinse with water.
Store the device in an individual plastic container.
Veneers and Lumineers
These correction tools can not restore the correct position of the crowns, but allow you to visually correct the appearance of the dentition.
Veneers and Lumineers are thin plates made of ceramics. They are superimposed on the teeth in the smile area, correcting their shape and color for many years. A distinctive feature of these overlays is that the installation is done in one visit.
Veneers and Lumineers have a significant price difference. Lumineers are much more expensive, as they are manufactured using the patented technology only in the USA.
It should be noted that veneers and lumineers are able to hide only mild defects of the dentition.
Veneers and Lumineers have a mass advantages:
- pronounced defects can be hidden without injuring crowns, for example, diastema;
- ceramics used for manufacturing, resistant to abrasion;
- during use, the lining does not change the initial color;
- the installation procedure is painless.
Disadvantage This option is the fragility of the plates and their peeling from the crown.
There are some differences between veneers and Lumineers. Lumineers are several times thinner than veneers, which determines the advantage of their installation. For fixation of lumineers, preliminary preparation is not required.
When installing veneers, small trimming of crowns is one of the essential steps of the procedure.
Main indications for use of veneers or lumineers are:
- darkening of tooth enamel;
- increased abrasion of enamel;
- crown defects: chips, cracks;
- diastema, treme;
- underdevelopment of teeth;
- slight displacement or crowding.
Lining installation can not be held in the following cases:
- carious lesions of crowns;
- enamel layer too thin;
- the presence of large seals.
Cover plates are installed for 5-10 years, but can last much longer with proper care.
After installing veneers or lumineers Oral hygiene requires special attention.. The conduct of all procedures must be thorough and timely. It is necessary to apply additional cleansing agents: rinses, threads.
Very hard foods such as nuts or seeds should be avoided.
The plates refer to removable retainers, which were originally used as a fixing element after wearing braces. Now they are used to correct the position of one or two teeth.
Records Consist of several parts: palatal plate and metal arch. Straightening occurs due to the constant pressure of the arc tightly covering the curved crowns.
This design is made of elastic plastic and titanium. In some cases, nickel is used for the arc. Both materials have a "shape memory" and always take the position specified by the arc during manufacture.
TO benefits Records include:
- low cost;
- wearing comfort;
- speed of production.
Disadvantage This option is:
- the inability to correct serious deficiencies;
- daily wearing period lasts at least 22 hours.
Plates for the correction of teeth have many modifications, each of which is selected depending on the cause of the anomaly. In addition, differences are noted in the color of the structure.
You can pick up the disc is not a classic pink shade, and multi-colored. Such constructions are especially popular with children.
Indications for the application of plates are:
- crown reversal;
- abnormal location of single teeth;
When it is recommended to put Lumineers, you will learn in a separate article.
How long do you need to wear caps after braces, we will discuss here. What factors should be considered?
- abnormal position of a large number of crowns;
- periodontal disease.
Wearing a correction plate lasts from 6 months to 2 years. The term will directly depend on the age of the patient.
During this period, the design can be removed only for 2 hours a day. When eating and brushing your teeth, the plate must also be removed. During the first use of the device, the patient may experience discomfort in the area of straightening crowns, which passes as they become used.
Throughout the treatment special attention should be paid to the care of the record.. Before use, it should be washed with water. After application, it is imperative to clean with a brush and soap or paste. At least once a week, wash the structure with an aseptic solution.
The opinion of a specialist on the choice of alternative ways to align teeth in children, see the video:
Despite the fact that many consider alternative methods of bite correction to be ineffective, the results of treatment prove the opposite.
With a small anomaly in the formation of the dentition with the help of alternative options You can achieve the following results:
- lengthen or shorten the dentition;
- reduce the muscle tone of the jaw apparatus;
- return the correct position to the crowns;
- align the length of the teeth;
- correct bite and occlusion.
A positive result can be obtained only by observing the mode of wearing defined for the apparatus used. If the wearing mode and the elementary rules of hygiene are not observed, the correction may be delayed or not at all give results.
It is possible to install constructions of a removable type only if there is confidence in the correct conduct of the treatment.
Like this article? keep for updates