What is the reason for the popularity of fluoride toothpastes and are they always helpful? Which one is better? Let’s try to figure it out.
The benefits and harm of fluoride in toothpastes
As the name implies, the main active component of such pastes is fluorine. It is in their composition in conjunction with other elements. Possible options are sodium fluoride, sodium monofluorophosphate, tin fluoride, aminofluoride (olaflur). When these compounds come into contact with saliva, fluoride ions are formed, which have a healing effect.
Fluoride toothpastes are capable of:
- have a bactericidal effect;
- strengthen the structure of tooth enamel;
- prevent the appearance of plaque;
- increase the activity of the salivary glands, which has a positive effect on dental health.
Despite all the beneficial properties, fluorine is not a harmless substance. Its excess can cause dental fluorosis (the appearance of dark spots on the enamel) and intoxication of the body. However, complications are possible only with the use of funds inside. If you take precautions and follow the instructions, this will not happen.
When discussing the benefits and harm of fluoride in toothpaste, each of the compounds of this element should be considered in more detail, since this affects the final properties of the product, its effectiveness and possible side effects:
- Sodium fluoride. Fluoride toothpaste quickly releases the active fluoride ions, the desired effect is achieved in the first minutes of cleaning. Because of this, it is suitable for children, who usually do not spend much time on hygiene.
- Sodium monofluorophosphate. This compound reacts with saliva more slowly and does not work with a short brushing of the teeth (less than 1-2 minutes).
- Fluoride tin. Effective, but rarely used, as it can stain the weakened areas of tooth enamel, change the color of fillings and provoke an exacerbation of periodontitis.
- Aminofluoride. Amino fluoride toothpastes are the most modern version. This compound not only strengthens the enamel, but also creates a thin layer of active substance on it, which continues to function after the completion of tooth brushing. Suitable for children and adults.
Overview of fluoride pastes
Fluoride toothpastes are presented on the shelves of pharmacies and shops in a wide range. We will not consider all of them, but will focus only on the most popular options.
Parodontax with fluorine
Produced in the UK, Parodontax toothpaste with fluoride is intended for people suffering from bleeding gums. Also, its use helps to eliminate plaque and serves as prevention of caries.
Sodium fluoride in Parodontax toothpaste is contained in a concentration of 1400 ppm. In addition to it, the structure includes:
- bicarbonate of soda;
- rataniya and myrrh.
The product is suitable for permanent use by adults and children over the age of 14. The product is sold in tubes of 100, 75 and 50 ml.
According to people who have acquired this toothpaste, it foams well and visibly cleans the enamel after the first use. With regular use, the gums strengthen, bleeding decreases. However, the salty taste of Parodontax may seem too harsh and specific. Read more about Parodontaks paste →
Colgate Maximum Protection against Caries
Colgate Toothpaste with Calcium and Fluoride Maximum protection against caries is produced in China. According to the manufacturer, its use contributes to the strengthening of tooth enamel, freshens breath, prevents tooth decay and helps get rid of plaque. More on caries prevention →
Sodium monofluorophosphate in toothpaste is contained in the amount of 1,450 ppm. It also contains liquid calcium and auxiliary components.
This toothpaste is suitable for the whole family, but is not recommended for children under 6 years old. It is sold in tubes of 100 and 50 ml.
Those who used Colgate paste with liquid calcium and fluoride, note its pleasant mint flavor and long breath freshness after brushing your teeth. The product is spent economically and successfully copes with a touch. The feeling of cleanliness of teeth lasts up to 12 hours from the moment of cleaning.
Blend-a-med with active fluorine
Toothpaste Blend-a-med from the American company ProcterGamble is produced in many countries. More often on sale there are products manufactured in Germany or China. The tool helps to clean the tooth enamel from plaque, its strengthening and lightening.
The active ingredient (sodium fluoride) is present at a concentration of 1450 ppm. The product is available in tubes of 150, 100 and 50 ml. Both adults and children can use the Blend-a-med paste with active fluoride. But babies younger than 6 years old should do this under the supervision of their parents to prevent swallowing.
According to consumer reviews, pasta copes with its functions, although the claimed whitening effect does not have. Mint aroma is very delicate, therefore discomfort during brushing and after teeth does not occur. Learn more about teeth whitening methods →
Sensodyne with fluorine
Toothpaste with fluoride "Sensodyne" (Sensodyne F) is produced in the UK. The product is intended for people with sensitive teeth. "Sensodin" with fluoride removes plaque, protects against caries, strengthens the enamel and freshens breath.
Sodium fluoride in the composition of this tool is contained in a concentration of 1400 ppm. The product is available in containers of 100 and 50 ml. There are age restrictions – application is allowed from 18 years. To reduce the sensitivity of the teeth to use the paste should be at least 2 times a day.
According to the reviews, Sensodin paste with fluorine has a light mint taste and eliminates plaque well. However, due to the wide opening of the tube, the product is consumed uneconomically. More about Sensodin Paste →
Fluoride Baby Toothpaste
For children, they produce separate lines of toothpastes that are safe for a growing body. They may contain fluorine, but in a lower concentration (for 0-3 years old – 200 ppm, 3-7 years – 500 ppm, 7-14 years – 1400 ppm).
The most popular children’s fluoride pastes:
- LACALUT baby with aminofluoride. It has pleasant tastes – raspberry, mint, citrus. Available for all ages.
- PRESIDENT kids with fluoride and monofluorophosphate. There are options with a taste of lime, raspberry, cola. Designed for children from 6 to 12 years.
- ROCS kids with aminofluoride and xylitol. The taste of raspberries and strawberries, is designed for ages 4-7 years.
- "ELMEX Junior" with aminofluoride. It has a mint flavor, suitable for children from 6 to 12 years.
Children’s teeth are more susceptible to fluorosis, so when choosing a paste for a child, two factors must be taken into account – age and area of residence. For babies under 5 years old, often swallowing toothpaste, a fluoride product is not recommended without medical indications. If in the area where the child lives, the fluorine content in water is increased (more than