Haddock is a type of marine fish, belongs to the family Treskovye. Habitat are the seas of the Atlantic and Arctic Ocean (Barents and North). In Russia, this species is less common, as it prefers more salty water – more than 30 ppm. But this does not prevent the Russian person from showing an interest in haddock and its beneficial properties.
Lives on the continental shallows at a depth of 200 m, near the bottom, feeds on mollusks, crustaceans, sea worms, as well as caviar and fry of other fish.
Composition and calorie
Russian stores and markets offer to buy fresh-frozen, salted or smoked fish haddock. Her tender white meat has a pleasant taste. Low-calorie product: 100 g contains only 70 kcal. And those who are afraid of gaining excess weight can eat it fearlessly.
Fish is rich in nutrients, contains selenium, which is necessary for the normal functioning of the thyroid gland, stomach, intestines and protects people from cancer at the cellular level.
For women, the anti-aging properties of selenium will be especially interesting – this trace element destroys free radicals that destroy healthy cells. It is also useful in the fight against infertility, to a certain extent ensures successful conception, safe bearing and the birth of babies without pathologies. In men, improves the quality of sperm, increases the potency.
Of the microelements in the composition of haddock fillets are:
- iron, useful for the life of the organism as a whole, is a component of the protoplasm of cells, complex proteins, hemoglobin;
- bromine, which regulates the functions of the nervous system, gonads and thyroid, is involved in the metabolism of fats, proteins and carbohydrates;
- Zinc is an antioxidant and an important participant in the process of tissue regeneration, is part of some enzymes, has a beneficial effect on the quality of metabolic processes in the body, preserves the vital activity of cells;
- Sodium, necessary for normal functioning of the nervous system and muscles, is an indispensable component of the water-salt balance in the human body;
- iodine, affecting overall health, appearance, level of mental development of a person;
- copper required for metabolic processes, connective tissue protein synthesis, hemoglobin formation, etc .;
- fluoride involved in the formation of dental and bone tissue.
Haddock contains vitamins PP, A, E, C, B1 and B2.
- PP is important for blood circulation, heart health, is included in the reaction to convert sugar and fat into energy, for the exchange of amino acids, helps control blood cholesterol levels.
- A normalizes metabolism, is involved in the formation of bone and dental tissue, helps the growth of new cells, slows down the aging process, helps fight infections, ensures good functioning of the organs of vision, lungs, and is useful for the prevention of cancer.
- E is responsible for the circulation and coagulation of blood, accelerates wound healing, strengthens the walls of capillaries, benefits muscles and nerve fibers, promotes rejuvenation.
- C is endowed with antioxidant properties, relieves the effects of stress, increases resistance to viral infections.
- B1 and B2 have a positive effect on the nervous system, metabolic processes, help cells absorb oxygen, reduce eye fatigue, and have a positive effect on the mucous membrane of the digestive tract.
Use “on shelves”
If you have not yet been convinced by the vitamin and mineral composition of fish, look at its beneficial properties, which have already been confirmed in a medical environment.
Haddock fillet is a rich source of protein and amino acids, important for the vital functions of the body. This dietary product contains a small amount of fat and completely devoid of carbohydrates.
The use of haddock promotes good hair growth, improves the appearance of the skin. The skin becomes more elastic, smoothes, and the complexion changes for the better.
Harm and contraindications
Haddock fish is contraindicated in people who experience allergic reactions to seafood. This phenomenon is a negative response of the organism to the protein contained in fish.
Another potential harm of haddock is food intolerance. Occurs in people with impaired digestive system.
Selection and storage rules
- Fresh fish should smell the sea.
- Pay attention to the eyes: if they are dull, it means – the fish is stale, bright eyes say that haddock was caught recently.
- Gills should have a light shade, but not gray or brown.
- Choose only white fillet. Yellowish tint – a clear indication of violations of the rules of storage and transportation of fish.
Haddock can be stored in the freezer for several months. Fresh and chilled carcass must be cooked immediately, otherwise it will quickly deteriorate. Fish can be stored on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator for no more than 48 hours.
Haddock is a universal product. It can be used in a variety of original dishes, each time surprising their households. Such fish do not need to be cleaned, it will be enough to rinse well.
- It is better to cook for a couple – to save nutrients and fat.
- Haddock fillets make tasty burgers. When fried, it is soft and crispy.
- Before being sent to the pan, you can roll the fish pieces in batter (a mixture of flour and eggs).
- A great ingredient for low-calorie salads.
- Pate from this fish turns out gentle and tasty.
- Fillet suitable as a filling for pies.
Salted and smoked haddock has a bright, rich taste and aroma. But finding it on sale is problematic.
- 1 kg of fillet;
- 600 grams of potatoes;
- 300 ml of white wine;
- 200 g of mushrooms;
- butter and olive oil;
- 5 pieces of bacon;
- 3 slices of toast bread;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- parsley and rosemary leaves;
- lemon juice.
- Wash washed crude potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes. Peel the tubers, chop and place on a greased baking sheet with a thin layer, add salt and pepper, sprinkle with rosemary. Top with cubes of butter, pour the wine.
- Wash the fish, clean the entrails, rub on all sides with salt, add lemon juice.
- Bread cut into cubes and fry in olive oil. Cut mushrooms, fry, add garlic juice, pepper, salt. Mix the mushroom mixture with crackers.
- Fill the insides of the fish with this composition. Sew or fasten a toothpick. Cover the fish with bacon, put it on top of the potato.
- Bake at 200-250 ° C for 40 minutes.
Fish stew with vegetables
- 1 kg of fish;
- one eggplant and zucchini;
- 1 clove garlic;
- juice of one lemon;
- peppers (one green and one red);
- half a glass of broth from meat or poultry;
- sage and thyme.
- Eggplant and zucchini cut into circles, salt well, pour water for 10 minutes, rinse with boiled water. Also cut the peppers and onions with garlic.
- Wash the fish, rub with salt and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Place vegetables in a container for baking, top with fish pieces (preferably peeled of bones).
- Add fresh or dried sage, thyme and other spices.
- Pour all the broth, cover, and send to a slightly heated oven.
- Simmer for about half an hour at 250 ° C.