Sympatho-adrenal crisis, which is also called a panic attack, is one manifestation of the IRR (vegetative-vascular dystonia) hypertensive type.
This condition is most likely not a disease, but a condition that manifests itself in the form of an acute attack, which is accompanied by an increase in heart rate, chest pain, an abrupt jump in blood pressure upwards, and also an emotional feeling of fear.
The most frequent time for the onset of a crisis is the second half of the day or night.
This fact is explained simply – in one day the body accumulates both physical and emotional fatigue, which can cause a panic attack.
Read more about panic attacks in our materials:
According to statistics, the symptoms of a panic attack occur in 45 – 70% of the world population, which is an impressive figure. And often the first.
Sudden panic attacks can greatly complicate the lives of their victims. Many as a result of these conditions develop depression.
Vegetative crisis – misunderstood, unpleasant for a person, anxiety with fear and various somatic manifestations. Application specialist.
What happens during a crisis
Let’s take a closer look at what happens during the onset of a sympatho-adrenal crisis.
Physical manifestations: there is a headache, breathing becomes confused, there is a feeling of lack of air, a shiver passes throughout the body, the sensitivity of the skin can be disturbed, even a light touch causes pain, the extremities get cold, the body temperature rises.
In addition, as mentioned above, the heartbeat increases and pressure increases.
Emotional manifestations: the patient has a feeling of fear, often the person feels fear of imminent death, unreasonable horror, ceases to trust others and believes that he is in danger.
Usually, the duration of the crisis does not exceed 1-2 hours, although some patients claim that the panic attack actually lasts much longer – up to 8 hours. However, even in such a short period, the body is subjected to tremendous testing and is experiencing great stress.
Ending the attack occurs suddenly and is characterized by a feeling of powerlessness, weakness.
Strenuous work of the kidneys during a crisis results in abundant urination, and the urine becomes very light.
At the moment, medical practice shows that the treatment of sympathetic adrenal crises is quite successful.
Modern techniques and medicines, selected by a professional doctor, have a positive effect and help to cope with this condition. However, without the desire of the patient himself to overcome the panic state, the specialist will not be able to help fully.
therefore only when doctor and patient interact You can achieve maximum effect and individual overcome factors that trigger the development of sympatho-adrenal crisis.
Causes of crises
The mere concept of “crisis” in the name of the state under consideration indicates the presence of an extreme situation for the organism, which leads to a negative reaction. What causes can cause sympathetic adrenal crises?
These can be either internal psychological or physical problems, or external factors that cause emotional disorders.
Internal psychological causes
Panic attacks often suffer from people who are used to suppress their emotions.
They cannot afford to fully experience any shocks, both positive and negative, and as a result live in a state of stress.
but emotions accumulated over a long period, can adversely affect not only the moral state of a person, but also on the body, finding a way out in a sympathetic adrenal attack.
Also to this category of factors of influence can be attributed to bad habits.
Internal physical causes
These include various health problems that can trigger a sympatho-adrenal crisis.
- a neoplasm (tumor) in the brain part of the adrenal gland, which contributes to the release of a high volume of adrenaline in the blood (and regardless of the patient’s psychological state);
- disorders that increase the stimulation of the central part of the sympathetic system in the spinal cord (spinal cord tumor, spinal cord, ischemia);
- the presence of pathological impulses associated with the sympathetic system and the hypothalamus of brain areas (similar to epileptic seizures);
- the presence of neuroinfection, as well as past disease associated with neuroinfection;
- traumatic brain injury;
- disruption of the normal balance of hormones in the body;
- some disorders in the cardiovascular system;
- some diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and digestive system.
First of all, this category of causes includes emotional loads resulting from any events affecting the patient.
They can be like positive and negative (more often provoke a panic attack).
With a strong psychological shock, the brain gives the adrenal glands a command to release a large amount of adrenaline, which leads to a sympathetic adrenal crisis.
In addition, an external factor may be the tendency of close relatives to panic attacks, which may cause hereditary predisposition.
It should be noted that in one patient the sympatho-adrenal crisis can be provoked by various factors, and not always they will be the same with repeated attacks.
Symptoms and signs are characteristic
Sympatho-adrenal crisis develops quite rapidly, and, as a rule, the symptoms appear in the aggregate.
Sympato adrenal crisis has such characteristic symptoms:
- difficulty breathing, feeling of heaviness, chest tightness;
- sensation of cold or heat, the appearance of tremor of the limbs;
- blanching of the skin;
- a sharp increase in blood pressure, vasospasm;
- headache, feeling of pulsation;
- increased heart rate, arrhythmia;
- dry mouth;
- emotional feeling of unfounded horror, fear of death.
Treatment of sympatho-adrenal crisis
The treatment process, as a rule, combines and medication, and psychotherapy. Also important are preventive measures, patient compliance with certain life rules.
Emergency care in a seizure
Usually, emergency care for sympathetic adrenal crisis is not required,
However, in difficult cases it is possible use of sedatives, which in a short time remove the manifestations of the crisis, or other effects according to the symptoms (for example, the use of the drug to reduce pressure).
For the treatment of the first symptoms of sympatho-adrenal crisis, such groups of drugs are used. funds:
- Tranquilizers. For example, alprazolam, phenazepam. Used to reduce the excitability of the central nervous system (central nervous system). Drugs in this group are also prescribed for the prevention of seizures. However, you should know that tranquilizers do not eliminate the cause of the crisis, but only relieve the symptoms, so long-term use of such drugs is not recommended. As a rule, they are prescribed at the beginning of treatment, before identifying the causes of panic attacks.
- Beta-blockers. The drugs in this group neutralize the action of adrenaline, and therefore are used to relieve an attack or prevent a crisis when the first symptoms appear. Such drugs include atenolol, anaprilin.
- Antidepressants (Paxil, Cipralex). To obtain a positive effect, these drugs are recommended for a long time (6-12 months). However, after the abolition of antidepressants, a relapse of a sympatho-adrenal crisis is possible.
- Herbal Medicines, have a sedative effect (sage, motherwort, valerian and others). Used as an alternative to complex soothing drugs. A positive effect is achieved after taking a course lasting from 6 to 12 months.
The work of a patient with a psychotherapist allows to achieve high results in overcoming panic attacks.
An experienced doctor will help identify the causes of crises, and then work with them together with the patient and neutralize them.
At the moment there are several methods by which the problem of sympathetic-adrenal crises is solved, so it is possible to choose a specific treatment technology individually for each specific case.
Factors such as diet, day regimen, physical exertion are not decisive for overcoming seizures. However, compliance with simple preventive measures will reduce the frequency of crises and soften their course.
To preventive measures relate:
- walking in the open air, moderate but regular exercise;
- full sleep;
- Proper nutrition, taking the necessary vitamins and minerals, it is desirable to divide the food into smaller portions, but increase the number of receptions;
- rejection of alcoholic drinks and energy drinks;
- reduce the time spent on watching TV, reading news on the Internet to reduce the risk of receiving negative emotions;
- whenever possible it is recommended to avoid stressful situations.
Other circulatory crises
Similar symptoms have liquorodynamic crisis, hemolytic crisis, vagoinsular crisis, vegetative-vascular paroxysm.
However, the causes of all these attacks are different, so the treatment is chosen individually in each case.
That is why the manifestation of alarming symptoms should consult a doctor who, after conducting diagnostic measures, will be able to accurately determine the type of crisis and prescribe the necessary treatment course.
Video: Panic attacks – what is it?
Panic attacks or sympathetic adrenal crisis is a very common problem. Many treat them, but not all achieve positive results.