Any changes in the body begin to cause concern. Many girls care about why there is a delay in menstruation other than pregnancy. This is a very common problem that everyone has encountered at least once in their life.
The delay of menstruation is the lack of a woman of reproductive age of bleeding for more than 35 days. There are many reasons for this problem.
Delay of menstruation can occur at different ages from the beginning of puberty and up to the period of menopause.
Often a violation of the cycle is not manifested by a delay, but by too early periods. More information about this can be found in the article “Causes of late menstruation.”
Normally, the female cycle lasts 21-35 days. If it is delayed for more than a week, a pregnancy test is performed, and if its result is negative, you should consult a gynecologist.
Worth knowing! Pregnancy tests can be false, especially if carried out in the first days of the delay, because the level of the hormone hCG during this period is too low to determine if fertilization has taken place.
Delay menstruation can be of several types:
- Rare monthly short duration (bleeding lasts only a couple of days, and the interval between them is 40-60 days).
- Extended cycle (duration over 35 days on an ongoing basis).
- The absence of menstruation for more than six months.
If the monthly delay is only a couple of days, do not worry much, since such a deviation is not dangerous to health. At the same time, if deviations in the cycle are observed regularly, and bleeding is delayed for weeks or months, consultation of the doctor is required.
There are a lot of reasons why menstruation does not come on time (besides pregnancy) and conditionally they can be divided into three groups:
- Are common.
Delay of menstruation is possible for reasons completely unrelated to the reproductive function of a woman:
- Stress. Any conflicts, problems at work and a strong overvoltage can lead to a cycle deviation of 10 or more days.
- Overwork. Excessive exercise can affect the female cycle, as it weakens the synthesis of estrogen in the body. In this case, in addition to the delay itself, there will be headaches, weight loss, deterioration of performance. Often, the problem faced by girls working at night and having an unstable work schedule.
- Weight problems. Overweight, as well as its lack of influence on the endocrine system, and can lead to violations of the cycle. In girls with anorexia, menstruation may disappear permanently.
- Changes in the life rhythm. Biorhythms affect the regulation of the female cycle. Any changes, whether moving to a different time zone or starting work at night, may result in a delay.
- Inflammatory diseases. The common cold and ARVI, as well as the exacerbation of chronic diseases affect the regularity of menstruation.
- Violation of the thyroid gland. Thyroid hormones have a direct effect on metabolism, so their excess or deficiency leads to disruptions of the menstrual cycle.
A hormonal failure caused by a malfunctioning thyroid can be recognized by the following symptoms:
- At elevated levels:
- weight loss;
- heart palpitations;
- increased sweating;
- sleep problems;
- instability of the emotional background.
Important! If the delay in menstruation is accompanied by such symptoms should immediately contact an endocrinologist.
Most genital diseases can lead to delayed menstruation, including:
- Inflammatory (adnexitis, oophoritis) and tumor (uterine myoma) diseases of the reproductive system. The presence of inflammation in addition to the delay is often accompanied by abnormal discharge, pain in the lower abdomen and require urgent treatment.
- Polycystic ovary and hormonal disorders that occur on its background. In this case, a violation of the cycle is accompanied by weight gain, acne, seborrhea, excessive hair growth.
- Cyst of the corpus luteum of the ovary. It occurs due to hormonal imbalance and is eliminated by specific drugs (hormone therapy).
- Abortion. Abortion and miscarriage almost always lead to menstrual disorders, but the situation is not the norm. The reason for the delay of menstruation after abortion is abrupt hormonal changes or mechanical injuries (after abortion and curettage).
- Fading and ectopic pregnancy. Conditions requiring emergency medical intervention and life-threatening.
- Postpartum period. After the birth of a child, the hormone prolactin, which regulates milk production and inhibits the cyclic work of the ovaries, is actively produced in the woman’s body. In the absence of lactation, the cycle returns to normal after about 2 months of the field of labor. If a woman breastfeeds the baby, her period will return after the completion of lactation.
- Acceptance of hormonal contraceptives. With regular use of birth control pills, the menstrual cycle is even, but the abolition of such drugs often becomes a cause of its violation.
- Emergency contraception. Conducted specific drugs with a high content of hormones that have a negative impact on the female cycle.
Important! The delay of menstruation is a reason for an urgent appeal to the gynecologist and examination, since many diseases that may be its cause are extremely dangerous to health and even life.
The female cycle is regulated by the cerebral cortex, pituitary and hypothalamus, therefore, not only gynecological diseases can affect the regularity of the cycle.
Common causes of delayed menstruation that are not related to the reproductive system are:
- Diseases of the adrenal glands.
- Reception of medicines.
Drugs that affect the monthly cycle are:
- chemotherapy drugs used in the treatment of cancer;
- hormonal corticosteroids;
- calcium channel blockers (prescribed for the treatment of hypertension);
- “Omeprazole” – a cure for stomach ulcers with a side effect in the form of delayed menstruation;
- anti-tuberculosis drugs.
Worth knowing! When menstruation is delayed while taking any medications, you should consult with your doctor to change the drug to another, without such a side effect.
At the end of the reproductive (fertile) period in the female body there are irreversible changes, called menopause. Approximation of this condition is accompanied by a decrease in the production of female hormones, delayed menstruation and changes in its intensity. Over time, menstruation stops forever.
Important! Do not neglect contraceptive measures during the premenopause, as the probability of getting pregnant is still there. Menstruation can resume after a break of several months, but giving birth at that age is quite dangerous.
Delay of menstruation can be considered the norm:
- in adolescence;
- premenopausal period;
- during lactation.
All other causes of violations of the monthly cycle are a good reason to visit a gynecologist. Diagnostic inspection will allow to exclude the states threatening life and demanding an operative intervention:
- ectopic pregnancy;
- missed abortion.
Worth knowing! Medical consultation is required in the absence of menstruation a year after delivery and with the abolition of hormonal contraceptives, if the cycle has not recovered in a couple of months.
In addition to examining the patient in the gynecological chair, the doctor may prescribe additional studies:
- Basal temperature measurement and scheduling (to determine ovulation in the current cycle);
- blood test for hormones and the level of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), the increase of which indicates the occurrence of pregnancy;
- Pelvic ultrasound to detect pregnancy and tumor neoplasms;
- CT and MRI of the brain (to exclude a pituitary tumor).
In addition to the gynecologist, you may need to visit the following narrow specialists:
In order for the treatment of deviations of the menstrual cycle to be effective, it is necessary to establish the cause of the delay.
In the case of hormonal disorders, hormone therapy is prescribed to ensure:
- cycle normalization;
- elimination of problems with conception caused by insufficient luteal phase (the period of formation in the ovary of the corpus luteum);
- ovulation restoration;
- minimization of PMS symptoms (irritability, swelling, breast tenderness, and
In case of delayed menstruation caused by diseases, a complex of therapeutic and surgical measures is appointed to eliminate the primary problem.
In the case of common causes of delayed onset of menstruation, preventive measures will help return the cycle to normal:
- Rest, sleep and counseling psychologist. A positive mood, calmness and a harmonious balance of physical exertion and relaxation periods will help in combating stress and overwork.
- Nutrition. The daily diet should contain all the necessary vitamins and trace elements. You can take multivitamin preparations. It is also important to monitor body mass index and maintain a normal weight.
- Maintaining a calendar of periods. Today, there are many applications for phones and PCs, as well as special paper calendars that will help track any changes in the cycle.
- Gynecologist. Regardless of the state for preventive purposes, you should visit the doctor every six months.
In cases where the absence of menstruation is not related to pregnancy and serious illnesses, a woman can help herself with popular methods:
- Herbal tincture Mix two tablespoons of oregano, root pink radioli, rose hips, knotweed, elecampane and nettle, fall asleep in a thermos and pour boiling water. Leave to infuse overnight, then strain the tincture and drink during the day, half a glass at a time.
- Onion peel Rinse the onion peels with running water, place in a saucepan, add boiling water and boil for half an hour. Cool and strain the decoction, and then once inside take a glass of the product.
- Ginger decoction Boil ginger root for a few minutes, cool and drink as tea. Use in caution as it can cause excessive restlessness.
- Angelica Tincture Means has anti-inflammatory and diaphoretic action. Its reception stabilizes the work of the nervous system and stimulates blood formation.
- Black stem cell tincture The remedy helps to eliminate headache and irritability in PMS, and also normalizes the menstrual cycle.
- Broth heartwort motherwort or tincture of white pion. Helps to reduce pressure, has a calming effect, stimulates uterine function.
- Decoction of the root of the devil: A teaspoon of the root of the plant, pour a glass of boiling water and leave for 4 hours. Strain and drink a teaspoon 3-4 times a day.
- Celery Inclusion in the daily diet of celery stimulates uterine contraction and the onset of menstruation.
- Bath and warming up A hot bath and a hot water bottle in the lower abdomen increase blood flow. It is strictly forbidden to use the method in the presence of inflammation and tumors.
- Vitamin Daily use of currants, pepper, sorrel, strawberries, and citrus, contributes to the normal synthesis of hormones and regulation of metabolism.
Important! The use of such funds during pregnancy can cause miscarriage.
What is the danger
In itself, the absence of menstruation is not dangerous for the female body, but the reasons by which it may be caused may carry a serious health risk:
- If the delay is caused by the growth of microadenoma (a malignant neoplasm in the brain that causes an increase in the level of prolactin in the blood), any delay in treatment can be fatal.
- In addition to the delay, inflammatory diseases of the genital organs (uterus and appendages) often cause anovular infertility, the development of purulent processes and sepsis, parametritis, and pelvic thrombophleuitis. Against the background of such diseases, the follicular apparatus is depleted, which can cause early menopause.
- Polycystic ovary in the absence of the necessary treatment leads to obesity, arterial hypertension, the development of gestational diabetes. As a result, the work of the cardiovascular system is disrupted, which is fraught with obstruction of veins, heart attack or stroke.
- Violations of the hormonal background lead to miscarriage (miscarriage), the development of uterine fibroids, asthma, diabetes, malignant neoplasms, and atherosclerosis. On the background of hormonal imbalance, pain in the mammary glands and joints, underdevelopment of the breast (if a problem arises during adolescence), sleep disturbances, excessive sweating, changes in shape (excessive thinness, obesity), male hair growth, oily skin, purulent rashes appear on the background. face and body.
- Early menopause. Late termination of menstruation and exit from the reproductive period lead to the development of atherosclerosis, weakened immunity, premature aging of the skin, the extinction of childbearing function, the risk of developing diabetes.
The most common cause of the absence of menstruation is the onset of fertilization. You can learn more about him in the article “How to determine early pregnancy”.
It is much more convenient for a woman to live and plan various activities with a regular cycle, as well as to determine the onset of pregnancy in time. Knowing the possible causes of delayed menstruation, in addition to pregnancy, preventive and curative measures can be taken in time and continue to live healthy and happy.
Girls who are faced with the problem of delayed menstruation share their experience in identifying the causes and solving the problem.
“The delay was 11 days, the test is negative, and the confidence that I am not pregnant is almost 100%. The gynecologist said that the cause of the delay can be cystitis, which I got sick just before the beginning of menstruation, as well as the stress caused by the death of a loved one. The doctor advised to wait another couple of weeks, since she didn’t find any signs of a health hazardous disease, and a week later she returned her menstruation, albeit with some irregularity, but I hope that this will soon pass. ”
“Spring faced a delay of 12 days. She ran to the doctor, as the cycle was always regular. After the ultrasound, it turned out that I have a fibroma in the right ovary and a small uterine myoma. It was fibroma that prevented the onset of menstruation. But after taking hormonal contraceptives prescribed by the gynecologist, everything returned to normal. ”
“I recently had a delay of almost 20 days. Monthly should have come immediately after the diploma’s defense, but I was so nervous that I didn’t notice their absence until I looked at the calendar on the phone. I went to the doctor because the tests were negative, and I was very afraid of an unplanned pregnancy. The gynecologist did not find anything dangerous and prescribed taking vitamins C and E. After a few days, the long-awaited menstruation began and I finally calmed down. ”