Pains and their causes by category:
Pains and their causes alphabetically:
abdominal pain during pregnancy
Almost all women experience abdominal pain during pregnancy., which can not be a cause for concern, since this is only the body’s response to the growing weight and volume of the abdomen. But sometimes pain is at the root of other causes, such as digestive disorders or urinary tract infection. Frequent constipation during pregnancy can also lead to pain. Consult with the gynecologist, he will help to find out the cause of your pain and prescribe the necessary treatment.
Types of abdominal pain during pregnancy All pain arising in the lower abdomen during pregnancy can be divided into two large groups: obstetric and non-obstetric. The first group includes pain arising from ectopic pregnancy, with premature placental abruption and with the threat of termination of pregnancy. The second is the pain associated with the gastrointestinal tract, with sprains supporting the uterus, with tension of the abdominal muscles or with some surgical disease (for example, with appendicitis).
What diseases can cause abdominal pain during pregnancy:
Abdominal pain in early pregnancy may indicate spontaneous abortion.
The following stages of spontaneous abortion are distinguished: threatening, starting, abortion in progress, incomplete and complete abortion. With threatened abortion, there is a feeling of heaviness or weak pulling pains in the lower abdomen and the sacral area, while abortion in late periods there may be pains of a cramping nature. Spotting slight or absent. The cervix is not shortened, its external pharynx is closed, the uterus is elevated. The size of the uterus corresponds to the duration of pregnancy.
– With the onset of abortion, colicy pains in the lower abdomen and bloody discharge are more pronounced than with threatening. A fetal egg peels off at a small area, so the size of the uterus corresponds to the gestational age. The cervix is preserved, its canal is closed or slightly open.
– Abortion in the course is characterized by cramping abdominal pain, pronounced bleeding. The fetal egg is located in the cervical canal, its lower pole may protrude into the vagina. Abortion in progress can end with an incomplete or complete abortion.
– With incomplete abortion, the ovum is partially expelled from the uterus, there is cramping abdominal pain and bleeding of varying intensity. The cervical canal is open, with a vaginal examination freely passes a finger, the uterus is of a softish consistency, its size is less than the expected duration of pregnancy. In the uterus usually remain fetal membranes, the placenta or part thereof.
– With complete abortion, the ovum leaves the uterus, the uterus contracts, the bleeding stops. If the contraction of the uterus that occurs after the death of the ovum is insufficient to expel it, there is a slow detachment of the ovum, which can be accompanied by prolonged poor uterine bleeding, leading to the development of anemia. In early pregnancy, a cervical abortion is possible. In this case, the external uterine pharynx does not open, and the fetal egg, completely exfoliating, descends as a result of uterine contractions into the cervical canal, whose walls stretch, and the cervix becomes barrel-shaped. This type of spontaneous abortion should be differentiated from cervical pregnancy, when the fertilized egg is attached in the cervical canal.
– In case of spontaneous abortion, microflora from the vagina may penetrate into the uterine cavity with the subsequent development of the inflammatory process. Infected (febrile) abortion can cause generalized septic diseases. At the same time, fever, tachycardia, leukocytosis are noted, the uterus may be larger than normal in size, painful on palpation, and pus-like discharge from the genital tract appears. In the case of infection, the condition worsens, pain, chills, dyspeptic and dysuric phenomena, changes in the blood: high leukocytosis, increased ESR, purulent salpingitis, parametritis, pelvioperitonitis, sepsis develop.
– Abdominal pains arising from ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy is the development of a fertilized egg not in the uterus, but in the fallopian tube. Ectopic pregnancy can be seen with ultrasound. But if the ultrasound has not yet been carried out, and the pregnancy test is positive, then sudden abdominal pain and dizziness should alert the woman. These symptoms are due to the fact that a growing egg breaks up the tissue of the fallopian tube, causing pain and bleeding, which usually happens in the fifth or seventh week of pregnancy. If such signs appear, you should immediately call an ambulance, as only surgery can help in this case.
Abdominal pain in late pregnancy.
Abdominal pain in late pregnancy does not always indicate a threatened miscarriage or some other problem.
1. Often enough, abdominal pain in late pregnancy occurs on the background of an unhealthy diet. This leads to spasms of the organs of the digestive system and responds with aching pain in the lower abdomen. Pain in the lower abdomen during pregnancy can form against the background of the previously existing colitis and intestinal dysbacteriosis. A hearty dinner, insufficiently cooked or not quite fresh food exerts an additional load on the intestines, which can lead to increased gas formation and the appearance of a feeling of heaviness in the lower abdomen. Such pains end as the process of digestion is completed, but may arise again under similar conditions. The most important weapon to combat such pains is proper nutrition. The growing uterus squeezes the intestines, which feels uneasy because of hormonal reorganizations: motility decreases, peristalsis is disturbed, and constipation becomes a frequent occurrence. It constipation often cause pain in the lower abdomen during pregnancy. To reduce the risk of constipation, you need to drink plenty of fluids, add a lot of raw fiber (vegetables, fruits, whole grain bread) to the diet, and walk more often.
2. Abdominal pain in late pregnancy also occurs due to sprains that support the uterus. As the fetus grows, the uterus grows in size, and the pressure on the ligaments increases. Sprain is very noticeable with sudden movements, sneezing, changing position. The pain is sharp, but short-lived.
3. Abdominal pain in late pregnancy can also occur due to over-tension of the abdominal muscles. These pains occur during physical exertion, overstrain. To the pain subsided – just relax and unwind.
4. It is extremely rare during pregnancy such diseases as appendicitis, pancreatitis, and intestinal obstruction can worsen. Pain in these diseases is specific: it increases, is accompanied by fever and nausea, dizziness. It is possible that surgical intervention may be required. Therefore, it is best to consult a doctor as soon as possible or call an ambulance.
5. Abdominal pain in late pregnancy can also mean gynecological problems. Pain can be a consequence of the unfavorable course of pregnancy, and the state of health of the pregnant woman in general.
6. Pain in pregnancy can occur against the background of the threat of spontaneous abortion. In this case, the pain is aching, gives back, resembles contractions. Without drugs, as a rule, does not subside. Almost always, such painful sensations are accompanied by discharge from the genitals. Discharges can range from light brown to deep red, and have different frequency and intensity. For these symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor. He will refer you to the hospital for examination and preservation of pregnancy.
7. Abdominal pain arising from premature detachment of the placenta. Abdominal pain may occur during premature detachment (during pregnancy or at the beginning of labor) of a normally located placenta (separation of the placenta from the uterine wall before the baby is born). Premature detachment of the placenta may begin after abdominal trauma, physical overstrain, in some diseases (eg, hypertension, toxicosis of the second half of pregnancy), etc. At the same time, the blood vessels rupture, accompanied by severe abdominal pain and bleeding into the uterus, which can lead to maternal and fetal complications. If such signs appear, you should immediately call an ambulance, since only a rapid delivery and cessation of bleeding can help.
Iii. Pain in lateral gestation.
Often, pregnant women note the appearance of pain, feelings of heaviness, distention in the right hypochondrium.
These sensations increase and increase with increasing gestational age. In most of these cases, dyskinesia of the gallbladder and biliary ducts occurs.
Dyskinesia of the biliary tract is not as harmless as it may seem at first glance, since it contributes to the development of the inflammatory process, stone formation. And on the contrary – dyskinesia can be one of the manifestations of cholelithiasis, chronic cholecystitis, anomalies of the biliary tract.
There are various anatomical, functional and hormonal connections between the biliary system and other digestive organs, they have a significant impact on the activity of this system. For example, the entry of food into the stomach not only causes mechanical irritation of the receptors of the stomach, but often also enhances bile formation and physical activity of the biliary tract.
The motor function of the gallbladder and bile duct largely depends on the state of the nervous system: for example, dystonia of the autonomic nervous system may disrupt the consistency of contraction of the musculature of the gallbladder and relaxation of the sphincter tone and cause a delay in bile secretion. Psychogenic factors can play an important role in the occurrence of dyskinesia, since it is often the result and one of the clinical manifestations of general neurosis.
Muscular weakness of the biliary tract is sometimes constitutional (associated with the characteristics of the physique), sometimes triggered by an unbalanced diet, or may be due to hormonal imbalance.
Hypomotor (i.e., associated with a decrease in motor activity) disturbances in the functioning of internal organs, caused by a general change in the hormonal background, are characteristic of pregnant women.
The body of a woman in late pregnancy produces a large amount of progesterone. The main physiological meaning of the action of progesterone during this period is to relax the uterus, preventing miscarriage and premature birth. but "on the way" other smooth muscle organs relax, including the gallbladder. The basis of hypomotor dyskinesia is weak, insufficient emptying of the gallbladder, leading to its stretching and the appearance of pain.
The occurrence of dyskinesia may be due to purely mechanical reasons: the growing uterus presses, "running out" the organs of the thoracic cavity, including the liver and gallbladder, as a result, the normal process of bile secretion may be disrupted.
Usually a woman is bothered by dull aching pains in the right hypochondrium (which can spread to the epigastric region), a feeling of heaviness, a feeling of pressure in this area, often accompanied by anorexia, nausea, a feeling of bitterness in the mouth, belching air, heartburn, bloating. The pain may increase with movement of the fetus, depends on its position in the uterus.
Excessive emotions, nervous exhaustion, and sometimes errors in the diet intensify or provoke pain and a feeling of pain in the hypochondrium. Heart pain, heartbeat, headache, numbness of the extremities, sweating, sleep disorders can occur – doctors call these symptoms a picture of a vegetative crisis.
Which doctors to contact if there is pain in the abdomen during pregnancy:
Do you experience abdominal pain during pregnancy? Do you want to know more detailed information or do you need an inspection? You can make an appointment with the doctor Eurolab always at your service! The best doctors will examine you, examine the external signs and help you identify the disease by symptoms, consult you and provide you with the necessary assistance. you also can call a doctor at home. Clinic Eurolab open for you around the clock.
How to contact the clinic: The telephone number of our clinic in Kiev: (+38 044) 206-20-00 (multichannel). The secretary of the clinic will pick you a convenient day and time of the visit to the doctor. Our location and directions are listed here. Look in more detail about all the services of the clinic on its personal page.
If you have completed any research Be sure to take their results to a consultation with a doctor. If the studies were not performed, we will do everything necessary in our clinic or with our colleagues in other clinics.
Do you have a stomach ache during pregnancy? You must be very careful about your overall health. People pay not enough attention disease symptoms and do not realize that these diseases can be life-threatening. There are many diseases that at first do not manifest themselves in our body, but in the end it turns out that, unfortunately, they are already too late to heal. Each disease has its own specific signs, characteristic external manifestations – the so-called symptoms of the disease. Identification of symptoms is the first step in the diagnosis of diseases in general. To do this, just need several times a year. be examined by a doctor, not only to prevent a terrible disease, but also to maintain a healthy mind in the body and the body as a whole.
If you want to ask a question to the doctor – use the online consultation section, perhaps you will find the answers to your questions and read self care tips. If you are interested in reviews about clinics and doctors – try to find the information you need on the forum. Also register on the medical portal. Eurolab, to keep abreast of the latest news and updates on the site, which will be automatically sent to you by mail.