Voltaren Gel is an NSAID for topical use.
It is used to relieve pain and inflammation. It has a warming effect at the point of use. The tool significantly increases the regeneration of the cells of the joints and connective tissues. Under the influence of the medicament, the muscles and tendons are restored much faster.
On this page you will find all the information about Voltaren: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Voltaren. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
NSAIDs for external use.
Pharmacy sales terms
Sold without a prescription.
How much does Voltaren Gel cost? The average price in pharmacies is 270 rubles.
Release form and composition
There are two forms of release of the gel Voltaren – in aluminum tubes and plastic vials for the drug and one-percent, and two-percent concentration.
- The composition of Voltaren gel is main active ingredient – Diclofenac. 100 grams of the drug contains 1.6 grams of diclofenac diethylamine. The basis of the drug is a fat-containing emulsion, which is combined with a water gel. In addition, the drug contains isopraponol, water, alcohol ether, paraffin in liquid form, cetomacrogol 1000.
The amount of gel in one tube can vary from 10 to 100 grams; In addition to the cap, each tube has an additional protective membrane under it. In a laminated bottle, the gel content is from 70 to 100 ml. In both forms of release, the medicine is additionally packed in a cardboard box; instructions for use of the drug must be attached to each unit of production.
Voltaren Emulgel contains the active ingredient diclofenac.
Diclofenac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, a derivative of phenylacetic acid. The drug has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and some antipyretic effect. Due to the inhibition of the activity of both isomers of the cyclooxygenase enzyme, the drug disrupts the synthesis of prostaglandins from arachidonic acid. This leads to a decrease in the number of prostaglandins in the focus of inflammation. When applied topically, the drug has an anesthetic, anti-inflammatory and anti-edema effect. The use of the drug for injuries contributes to the regeneration of connective tissue cells of the ligaments and joints, accelerates the recovery of damaged tendons and muscles.
In addition, the water-alcohol base of the drug Voltaren Emulgel helps to cool and develop some anesthesia at the site of application.
Indications for use
The use of Voltaren Gel is directly related to the effect it has on the body. If a person experiences pain, an inflammatory process develops in his muscles or joints, then this remedy can be considered as options for help. Most often, doctors offer to buy the drug if the pain or inflammation is traumatic or rheumatic.
Instructions for Voltaren gel will demonstrate the following list of indications for use:
- Myalgia against excessive stress,
- The inflammatory process in the periarticular bag,
- Problems with the muscles around the joints,
- Rheumatic polymyalgia,
Any other degenerative and inflammatory pathologies of the spinal column are also among the indications for use.
The drug Voltaren is contraindicated for use in the presence of the following conditions in a patient:
- Urticaria or aggravated allergic history;
- Pregnancy – 1 and 3 trimesters;
- Ulcerative lesions of the skin, pustules, open wounds;
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- Blood coagulation disorders, bleeding tendency;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum in acute phase;
- Children’s age up to 12 years.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Voltaren gel during pregnancy in the third trimester is contraindicated, as this can lead to a decrease in uterine tone and / or premature clogging of the arterial duct in the fetus.
In the first and second trimester, the possibility of external use of Voltaren is considered by the physician individually, comparing the expected benefits to the mother with the potential risk to the fetus.
At this time, the degree of penetration of the active ingredient Voltaren Emulgel into the milk of a nursing mother is unknown. For this reason, it is not recommended to combine breastfeeding and therapy. In the case of emergency use of emulgel Voltaren, its application is possible only in minimal quantities and in small areas, bypassing the area of the mammary glands.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that Voltaren Emulgel used externally.
- For adults and children over 12 years old, the drug is applied to the skin 2 times / day (every 12 hours: preferably in the morning and evening), gently rubbing it into the skin.
- If the hands are not the area of pain, then after applying the drug they need to be cleaned. The required amount of the drug depends on the size of the painful area. A single dose of the drug – 2-4 g (which is comparable in size, respectively, with the size of a cherry or walnut) – is enough to treat an area of 400-800 cm2.
- The duration of treatment depends on the indications and the effect noted. The gel should not be used for more than 14 days for post-traumatic inflammations and rheumatic diseases of soft tissues without a doctor’s recommendation. If after 7 days of use the therapeutic effect is not observed or the condition worsens, the patient should consult a doctor.
To remove the protective membrane, use a screw cap as a key (a recess with protrusions on the outside of the cap). Align the groove on the outside of the lid with the shaped protective membrane of the tube and turn it. The membrane should separate from the tube.
Possible side reactions include:
- parasitic and infectious diseases: very rarely – pustular rash;
- respiratory system: very rarely – asthma;
- immune system: very rarely – angioedema, hypersensitivity reactions (including urticaria);
- skin and subcutaneous tissue: often – dermatitis (including contact dermatitis), erythema, rash, itching, eczema; rarely – bullous dermatitis; very rarely – photosensitivity reactions.
In case of aggravation of these or other side effects, you should consult a doctor.
Given the low systemic absorption, overdose is unlikely with topical application of the gel. In case of accidental intake of the drug inside the appearance of systemic reactions.
In the case of ingestion of the gel, treatment should include gastric lavage, induction of vomiting, the use of activated carbon, symptomatic therapy. Due to the high degree of binding of diclofenac and plasma proteins (approximately 99%), dialysis and forced diuresis are ineffective.
Voltaren Emulgel can be applied only on non-damaged skin. With the existing scratches, wounds, ulcerative lesions using the gel is unacceptable! Avoid contact with the mucous membranes and eyes. If this happens by accident, it is necessary to wash the mucous membranes with plenty of running water.
In the event of an allergic skin reaction, treatment with the drug should be stopped immediately and consult a doctor. If you accidentally take the drug inside, the patient should take activated charcoal and seek medical help.
With the combined use of Voltaren Emulgel and other drugs based on diclofenac, as well as photosensitizing agents, the effect is enhanced.
We picked up some feedback from people about Voltaren:
- Anna Well blinks voltaren with lumbago. I work as a truck driver and after the next flight I could not get out of the cabin, so I grabbed my back. In the end, somehow I got to the clinic, where the sensible neurologist diagnosed lumbodyos and prescribed injections to the voltaren, along with a fastum gel (rub into the painful area). Already on the third injection, the symptoms began to decrease and I was able to move around, but by the 5th injection there was no trace left of my illness. Voltaren helped.
- Helena . There were severe back pains after playing sports. Could not sleep. When you inhale pain in the back. The doctor prescribed candles Voltaren. After taking the pain went min. in 20. But! After a couple of hours began a terrible upset stomach, diarrhea. Tormented half a day. Although Voltaren candles are good for pain, they have side effects.
- Alexey . The drug is not used even once, until one moment, until he felt severe pain in the joints when the weather changes. Especially felt it in the winter. Honestly was
The following drugs are synonymous with Voltaren gel, patch and spray Voltaren:
- Bioran gel;
- Diclak gel;
- Diclobene gel;
- Diklovit gel;
- Diclogen gel;
- Diclonat P gel;
- Dicloran gel;
- Diclofenac gel and ointment;
- Diclofenacol Cream;
- Dorosan aerosol;
- Naklofen gel;
- Ortofen gel and ointment;
- Orthofer Ointment;
- Ortoflex ointment;
- SwissJet Spray.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Storage of the drug to produce in the reach of children at a temperature not higher than 30 degrees Celsius. Shelf life is 3 years.