Varicose veins of the lower limbs is a common problem among the female population. The first signs in half of cases are recorded before 30 years and mainly during pregnancy or after childbirth. Most people have seen and imagine this disease, but not everyone knows what to do with varicose veins during pregnancy, what kind of treatment is safe.
Treatment methods can be divided into conservative and surgical.
It consists in the use of compression bandages, knitwear simultaneously with pharmaceutical drugs.
The choice of medication during pregnancy is very limited. From the list of agents used to treat varicose veins, only those that do not penetrate through the placenta with blood and do not violate the systemic blood coagulation processes are selected.
It consists in the use of compression underwear. Knitwear squeezes the dilated venous vessels, which leads to their narrowing, thereby restoring normal blood flow. To date, compression tights and stockings are available in a large assortment on the shelves of pharmacies.
Women at risk or with a diagnosis of wearing compression underwear can begin with the first month of pregnancy. The entire range of knitwear is divided into 4 classes, depending on the degree of pressure on the vessels, this is indicated on the front of the package; for pregnant women, not strong bandages with low and very low pressure (classes I and II) are used.
How to wear
Wearing such knitwear is allowed only in the morning, without getting out of bed, gently stroking movements, distribute up from the foot. Pull it is not necessary. When using elastic bandages it is necessary to choose the correct length and width. For bandaging, one should lie on a flat surface, slightly raising the legs, after 7 minutes, without lowering the diseased leg, a bandage is applied: from the ankle it is necessary to pass several rounds to the bases of the fingers, then wind the shin and thigh from the bottom up. How many hours to wear compression hosiery is determined by the doctor, as sometimes there are indications for its use around the clock.
- You should not impose a bandage counterclockwise, that is, you need to start from the left, not from the right side.
- Each new layer of bandage should overlap a little more than half of the previous one.
- It is necessary to finish bandaging 5 or 10 cm above diseased veins.
- Oblique diseases of the arteries of the legs.
- Ulcers on the lower limbs, the cause of which is not associated with diseases of the veins.
- Acute infectious processes of the skin and leg muscles.
What can replace
If you wear compression knitwear is not possible because of the individual characteristics of a woman, on hot summer days, or if it is ineffective, the pain does not subside, there are swelling, heaviness, etc., phlebotropic drugs that do not penetrate the placenta are given to pregnant women.
Together with compression underwear, women need to use gels and ointments that strengthen the venous wall, restore blood circulation, relieve inflammation. Below is a description of how and how to treat varicose veins during pregnancy.
Topical treatment takes a leading role in the treatment of varicose veins in pregnant women. These drugs are convenient and easy to use. Share on:
- Containing heparin. They are prescribed to treat trophic disorders.
- Flebotropy. Means for external use containing vasoactive compounds.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. Used to reduce inflammation with varicotrombophlebitis, indurative cellulitis, postoperative infiltrates, etc.
- Hormones corticosteroids (hydrocortisone, betamethasone or triamcinolon). They have a powerful effect on all pathogenesis links. Have a number of contraindications and side effects.
Reduce the likelihood of blood clots, inflammation, anesthetize, relieve swelling. It is necessary to choose drugs with a heparin content in the range of 600–1000 U / g, it is this dose that allows you to achieve the necessary concentration of heparin in the skin and subcutaneous tissue when using external agents. Apply cream, gels 3-4 times a day. These drugs during pregnancy have indications for all women with congestive veins.
Heparin-containing drugs are used to eliminate the symptoms of pain, fever, twitching muscles, numbness, “crawling goose bumps.” They help to avoid the appearance of heaviness and fatigue of the muscles of the leg, contribute to more rapid resorption of bruises.
Lioton (heparin content – 1 thousand. IU)
It is the most common and frequently used means of the group. The drug has passed clinical trials and proved to be highly effective for varicose veins of the lower extremities. Unlike internal administration of systemic drugs (pills), it is absolutely not dangerous for a pregnant woman and the fetus, since it does not change the blood clotting properties systemically, but acts only at the site of application, does not increase the risk of bleeding and blood loss during labor. The tool helps both to deal with the already existing vein problem and helps prevent women at risk from developing the disease.
Apply 2–3 times a day, rubbed into the skin for about 2 minutes, then it is recommended to wrap the leg with a bandage or put on a stocking. The treatment takes 30 day courses, then a break for 30 days. And so it is necessary to alternate the entire pregnancy and the first months after childbirth.
Contraindications: ulcers and necrosis, hemorrhagic diathesis, thrombocytopenic purpura.
Drugs, such as heparin ointment, heparoid, hepatrombin and emeran, contain 10 times less heparin, so their use is unreasonable.
Increase the tone of the venous wall, stabilize its condition, improve the flow of lymph. The composition includes either routines and their derivatives, or plant extracts:
- Detralex. Herbal preparation.
- Cream of varicose veins from grandmother Agafya. Herbal medicine, relieves the symptoms of the disease, improves blood circulation.
- Venorm Environmentally friendly product based on kelp, birch leaves, raspberries, chokeberry and buckwheat.
Herbal preparations can be used from the first days of conception.
- Diosmin or Phlebodia. Allowed from the first months of gestation.
- Eskuzan. Can be used from the second trimester.
- Venoruton. Allowed only from the 16th week of pregnancy.
- Ginkorfort. Allowed from the second trimester. Contraindicated in hyperthyroidism.
- Troxevasin. Restores the tone of the veins and relieves inflammation. Can be used only in the II and III trimesters.
The disadvantages of funds for external use
With prolonged use may develop local allergic reactions, dermatitis, coarsening and peeling of the skin.
If, when using local drugs, the pain has not disappeared, edema has begun to appear, it is necessary to add systemic agents that are ingested, but not earlier than 12 weeks of pregnancy.
Pregnant women with venous insufficiency, in the absence of contraindications, are recommended:
- Arrange walking in a distance of 2 to 3 km.
- To visit the pool.
- Engage in unloading gymnastics.
- Arrange a contrast douche for the lower extremities.
- With stroking movements to massage the legs from the bottom up.
- Do the prevention of constipation.
- In the early stages of cycling.
- Both at work and at home, avoid prolonged sitting and standing, if it is not possible during working hours, then at least 3-4 times a day, take a lying position for 5-10 minutes.
- In the third trimester, during the day and night sleep, the legs should be kept slightly raised upwards.
How to get rid of varicose veins of the legs during pregnancy with the help of traditional medicine, what to drink and how to smear? While carrying a child, you should not get involved in recipes from various medicinal herbs and plants, since their influence on the development of the baby, placenta has not been proven. You can use a narrow list of methods:
- Insist for a month chamomile flowers on any vegetable oil. This oil needs to lubricate the skin of the legs twice a day.
- A glass of yogurt mixed with a spoon of wormwood and applied to the legs for 15 minutes in the morning and evening.
- Baths of broth hop cones, the same broth can be compresses. After the bath, the feet can be massaged and held in an elevated position.
- Drink teas from the leaves of strawberries, clover flowers.
You can use folk remedies every other day.
During pregnancy is contraindicated. It can only be used in cases of exclusion – if varicose veins are complicated:
- Impaired trophism of the skin.
- Inflammation of the vein wall with the formation of blood clots on it – thrombophlebitis.
- Thrombotic disorders.
Methods of sclerosing treatment, endoscopic procedures are contraindicated not only during pregnancy, but also during the first 12 months after it.
In any case, the choice of treatment method is determined by the doctor, self-treatment is prohibited due to the possible development of complications.
Varicose veins can be cured, but for this you need to spend a lot of time and money, so it is better to take preventive measures and prevent the occurrence of the disease. Early treatment and prophylaxis are key to the normal course of pregnancy and the postpartum period, prevent chronization of the process, the development of complications. Subject to these rules, the question of what to do with varicose legs during pregnancy should not cause difficulties in answering.