Many women are interested in the question: “Is it possible to get pregnant during menstruation?”. Most of them, for some reason, believe that – no. However, it is quite realistic, but under what circumstances? Does it also depend on time? Is the probability of conception great? And finally, is it really worth having sex during menstruation? In order to get answers to all these questions, you need to properly understand all the physiological processes that occur at this moment in the female body.
What is the probability of pregnancy during menstruation?
Theoretically, the probability of pregnancy during menstruation is minimal, but still exists. And no one will give you guarantees that, according to the law of meanness, it will not work for you. Therefore, it is very important to find out for yourself under what circumstances this probability increases by several times.
In what situations is pregnancy possible during menstruation?
For a start it is worth understanding that conception occurs only in case of a meeting of a spermatozoon and an egg cell that has already left the ovary into the fallopian tube as a result of the rupture of a mature follicle, that is, after ovulation. Consider all situations in which pregnancy becomes possible even during menstruation.
- If the menstrual cycle is normal, then as a rule, the egg matures and leaves in the middle of this process, and if sexual intercourse coincides with the time of ovulation, the probability of fertilization increases sharply.
- There is also a reverse situation. If the girl is exposed to stress, climate change, or colds during the menstrual cycle, this can lead to the release of the egg before the onset of menstruation. In such circumstances, the chance of becoming pregnant is also quite high.
- There is also an option when the egg leaves the ovaries and remains effective for about 24 hours. Spermatozoids, once in the fallopian tubes, can retain their properties for up to 7 days, with the full health of the sexual partner. And in this case, it turns out that spermatozoa got into the genital tract during menstruation, but ovulation itself occurred much later. That is, pregnancy began after the end of menstruation.
- If we consider the possibility of hormonal disruptions, then we can assume such an option as a delay in ovulation. This is when menstruation and ovulation occur simultaneously. Yes, it also happens that the girl himself has a short cycle, and her periods are long. Under such circumstances, if sexual intercourse occurs in the last days of menstruation, it can coincide with ovulation and then the probability of becoming pregnant becomes quite high.
- It should also be said about another option. Sometimes the girls themselves decide that they become pregnant during their periods because they did not have sex in the subsequent period. However, in this case, conception most likely occurred, as expected, in the middle of the previous cycle, but menstruation began. It should be noted that this is not an indicator of abortion, but only the presence of hormonal problems.
When can I get pregnant during menstruation?
Doctors claim that it is possible at any time. And before, and after, and in time menstruation. But, it is practically impossible in the first days of menstruation, since at this moment the effect of all sex hormones sharply decreases, which leads to the rejection of the endometrium (the inner mucous membrane of the uterus). Due to abundant secretions, sperm cells have almost no opportunity to penetrate the genital tubes, but even if this happens and the egg is fertilized, it simply cannot attach to anything, since the endometrium is completely updated. Another reason is the abundant secretion of menstrual fluid, which is unfavorable for preserving the properties of the spermatozoon. The highest probability of conception falls just on the last days of menstruation, when the release of a non-fertilized egg occurs. It is especially great, of course, for those women who have either an irregular cycle, or simply long periods.
The problem of long periods
What can be considered a long monthly, what are the norms and when should I worry? In this, too, you need to properly understand, because you need to identify such problems as soon as possible. So, in normal menstruation can last from 4-7 days, and the cycle of 21-25 days. However, there is also a small percentage of women whose menstruation period regularly lasts a little longer than indicated above, but the magnitude of the cycle they necessarily exceed the standard. As for girls who are currently only at the stage of puberty, for them the menstruation can last from 2-10 days, and the cycle itself becomes regular only for 1-2 years. However, the reason for suspicion about the existence of problems will be only if the duration of the menstruation has increased dramatically, and the menstruation themselves are accompanied by some kind of painful symptoms and even a change in the nature of the bleeding.
Can I have sex during menstruation?
If we consider this issue from a medical point of view, definitely – no. As in the body of every woman, there is reflux during menstruation. That is, the blood enters not only outside, but also into the abdominal cavity through the genital pipes. And it contributes to the penetration of various microorganisms that can lead to numerous diseases and even the development of such a pathology as endometriosis.
Endometriosis is a common gynecological disease in which the walls of the endometrium grow outside this layer. May even lead to the problem of infertility.
So, it is probably worth thinking about what you risk and for what? Of course, if you use contraceptives, then all these risks are reduced to zero, the danger also disappears, if you firmly believe in the absolute health of your sexual partner.
So, having read this information, we hope, the stereotype about the impossibility of getting pregnant during menstruation has collapsed. Indeed, in reality, the chance is not much less than in the middle of a cycle. Since it is reliable to know what is happening at the moment in your body – we cannot. Therefore, if the risk of pregnancy is not desirable for you, but due to increased sensitivity during menstruation, you want sex – protect yourself with contraceptives. This will help not only to remove the opportunity to become parents, but also to maintain their health.
If you find an error, please select the text fragment and press Ctrl + Enter.