Many future mothers are familiar with thrush (candida). In the period of carrying a baby in the vagina ideal conditions for the reproduction of fungi are created. The consequences of thrush during pregnancy can be serious, even to self-abortion. Risks in each case determined by the doctor. To avoid consequences, you need to contact your gynecologist if you have characteristic symptoms. If candidiasis is properly treated, then it is not dangerous.
Why does candidiasis occur?
The development of the disease provokes the fungus Candida. Such microorganisms are always present in the female microflora, and this is considered normal. With active division, a yeast-like fungus causes characteristic symptoms. So there is a thrush. A large number of microorganisms provoke inflammatory processes, which is a danger.
Future mothers are at risk of developing the disease. Favorable factors for the fungus is considered to be the change of the vaginal microflora for acidic, supplemented by a decrease in immunity. Pregnant women are changing hormones, which leads to a change in the vaginal environment. Fungi receive impetus to division. Contributes to the progression of candidiasis reducing the protective functions of the body. Such a phenomenon is a natural process. Reduced immunity is necessary so that the fetus does not reject. But it also stimulates the development of a fungal disease.
There are a number of additional factors that contribute to the appearance of thrush. Most often, the symptoms of the disease is manifested when:
- non-compliance with personal hygiene;
- the presence of allergic reactions to hygiene products;
- wearing synthetic underwear (“not breathing” material creates favorable conditions for the development of fungal disease);
- taking antibiotics before / during pregnancy (they change the microflora);
- unhealthy diet;
- intestinal dysbiosis;
- the presence of associated diseases: tuberculosis, diseases of the genitourinary system, diabetes mellitus, oncology, infectious diseases, pathologies of the circulatory system.
It is believed that thrush can occur on the background of stress. Regular experiences lead to a weakened immune system. An excessive passion for refined carbohydrates can provoke a disease. They are the main cause of imbalance in the microflora of the digestive tract, which increases the growth of candidates.
Thrush can develop against the background of hobbies douche. Such a procedure should be carried out solely on the testimony. If we ignore this rule, the normal microflora will be cleaned, pathogenic will replace it.
Symptoms of candidiasis are recognizable, so a woman can easily recognize the presence of the disease. Characteristic symptoms include:
- Cheesy discharge. When reproduction of fungi mucus is painted white, becomes lumpy consistency. Particularly noticeable change in the secret of dark underwear. Sometimes the pathological discharge is gray. The profusion of mucus depends on the stage of the disease: the progress of the fungal disease increases mucus production.
- The specific smell. When candidiasis discharge acquires a sour smell. It is also called “kefir.” He may have different degrees of severity, but the patient always hears him.
- Burning, itching. The fungus causes discomfort in the vagina: there is a burning sensation, itching does not stop. If you comb the affected area, the sensation will increase: pathogenic microorganisms penetrate deep into the tissue, the inflammatory process will become more extensive.
- Pain when urinating. Fungal disease leads to a decrease in the protective functions of vaginal mucus. Against the background of inflammation increases the sensitivity of the epithelium. This leads to unpleasant sensations while going to the toilet.
- Pain, burning during sexual contact. Under the influence of the fungus, the vagina becomes sensitive, which leads to unpleasant sensations during sex. A woman cannot lead a normal sex life with thrush. The same symptom is observed in chlamydia, so it is important to conduct a differential diagnosis.
Symptoms usually manifest themselves in a complex manner, but only one can be expressed with an atypical course of the disease. The future mother should monitor the signals that the body gives her. If you have any of the above symptoms, you should contact your gynecologist to determine the causes and subsequent therapy.
Only a gynecologist can diagnose candidiasis. The diagnosis is made on the basis of the examination of the patient’s complaints, examination, and test results. Important diagnostic methods are smears. They allow the doctor to determine the cause of the pathological manifestations. Only symptomatic diagnosis is difficult. Unpleasant sensations in the groin and abnormal discharge may indicate the presence of an infection.
With an atypical course of the disease, the diagnosis is complicated. Especially if the “identification mark” of the disease – chewy lumps of mucus – is absent. Sometimes with an erased course of thrush, it is not even possible to pre-suppose that it is candidiasis.
Thrush during pregnancy without consequences occurs only with timely and proper treatment. The lack of adequate therapy significantly increases the possible risks of complications. By itself, candidiasis does not represent such a great danger, one without treatment, fungal diseases join infections. Such a phenomenon can lead to serious consequences. Therefore, it is believed that in the period of childbearing candidiasis is fraught with risks relating to the health of the future mother, and the preservation of the fetus.
The consequences of thrush during pregnancy depend on the stage of the disease, the duration of pregnancy, the timeliness of therapy. Possible risks include:
- probability of self-abortion (if thrush occurred in the first trimester);
- premature birth (when the disease manifested itself closer to the end of the term);
- infection of amniotic fluid;
- inflammation of the fetal membranes;
- development of intrauterine hypoxia, which can lead to delays in fetal development, slow weight gain.
In the presence of thrush there is a threat of a postpartum infection. The most common complication is endometritis. Thrush can indirectly provoke breaks in labor. Under the influence of fungal infection and inflammatory processes, the epithelial cells of the vagina die. Their place is occupied by connective tissue. The problem is that it is not peculiar elasticity. When the passage of the fetus through the birth canal, the tissue is torn. After delivery, the tears heal for a long time.
Fetal infection: myth or reality
Among the risks posed by thrush, doctors always refer to the probability of intrauterine infection of the fetus. This dangerous phenomenon can lead to the appearance in the baby of various pathologies, cause premature labor, provoke a miscarriage. However, expectant mothers should be aware that the probability of such an infection is minimal. This is proved by medical statistics – 0.5% of cases. The child is reliably protected by fetal membranes, waters, the placental barrier, closed by a pharynx. The fungus, although rarely passes through the placental barrier, however, the likelihood of passage increases if Candida actively reproduces and there are a lot of them. Therefore, statistics are statistics, and it is impossible to remain inactive.
If intrauterine infection is rare, infection with a fungal disease when passing through the birth canal is common. In the process of delivery, the baby’s skin, mouth, umbilical cord, and respiratory tract can be infected. Usually the fungus “chooses” the oral cavity. It causes stomatitis. The baby refuses to breast due to the fact that he can not normally eat, as a result – a shortage of weight. The problem is easy to solve with the help of therapy that only a doctor can prescribe. The main thing is not to waste time, because the crumb must get all the substances necessary for the normal development from birth.
How to avoid the consequences
You can avoid the consequences of thrush that threaten the health of a woman and her baby. If there are characteristic symptoms, you should immediately consult a doctor, who will determine the treatment tactics, taking into account the “interesting” situation.
It is necessary to consult with the gynecologist if the patient had a thrush before the pregnancy. The doctor will give recommendations on how to prevent re-active reproduction of fungi. If the expectant mother has never suffered from candidiasis, then she needs to know what preventive measures exist and comply with them. This will help to make the baby, not being distracted by the fight against thrush, without fear of serious consequences.
When thrush is indicated treatment systemic drugs. They effectively fight candida. However, capsules and tablets are strictly forbidden to use in the period of carrying a baby. Drugs of systemic action penetrate into the bloodstream, affect microorganisms in the intestine. If systemic antifungal agents are used to treat a pregnant woman, this will negatively affect the development of the fetus. Such drugs are highly toxic, so the gynecologist selects an alternative to pills.
For the treatment of candidiasis in pregnant women use local preparations – candles, ointments, cream. Pharmacological market offers a lot of options for such tools, but to objectively determine which of them effectively cope with the task and at the same time do not harm the fetus, the future mother herself cannot. This is the competence of the obstetrician-gynecologist.
A self-imposed prohibition is imposed on self-medication during gestation. You can hurt and their own health, and crumbs. The taboo extends to the use of traditional medicine methods without prior consultation with a gynecologist who is observing pregnancy. Douching herbal decoctions, the use of herbal infusions only at first glance seems to be a harmless solution. In fact, such actions may adversely affect the course of pregnancy. Sometimes alternative methods really help, but only those approved by the doctor.
The treatment of candidiasis in women in the position of doctors recommends a comprehensive approach. For the fight against fungi, they prescribe topical preparations, and to increase immunity – multivitamins. Sometimes additionally prescribed immunomodulators.
It is important that both partners undergo treatment. Pathogens can be transmitted during sexual intercourse, so treatment will be ineffective if the man refuses therapy. The entire period of treatment you need to use condoms during sex: one unprotected act – and all efforts will disappear.
Treatment must be not only safe and effective, but timely. Any alarming symptom is a reason to consult a specialist.
The development of candidiasis can be prevented. Since future mothers are at risk, preventive measures should be strengthened. It is possible to reduce the likelihood of developing candidiasis if:
- wear cotton underwear and completely abandon synthetic;
- pay close attention to personal hygiene;
- do not take antibiotics without a doctor’s prescription;
- adjust your diet (be sure to include vegetables, fruits, bran, cereals, they have a positive effect on the microflora of the digestive tract).
A pregnant woman should be registered on time at the antenatal clinic, it is important to pass all tests. With the appearance of alarming symptoms, you should not postpone the visit to the doctor, in the future you need to follow all his recommendations.
When planning a pregnancy, you need to pass tests and make sure that the microflora is normal. Especially if the woman already had thrush. It is also important to identify and cure all diseases that can cause problems during gestation, before pregnancy. Planning, prevention and timely treatment allow to minimize all the risks that are associated with candidiasis. With the right approach to the problem of consequences can be avoided.