The main causes of the appearance of red spots on the body of a child are considered. Symptoms of diseases that cause them and how to distinguish them from the manifestation of an allergic reaction.
It so happened that in the house where there is a small child, the mother performs the functions of a pediatrician, a dermatologist, an infectious diseases specialist, a teacher, a teacher and many others. Parents are especially responsive to the health of the baby, because the children’s body can react to the usual adult food, cosmetics, clothing and other everyday things is very specific.
Allergic skin reactions are the most common problem in young children. Therefore, each mother should know what the spots look like when the child is allergic, as well as how to distinguish this disease from other possible illnesses.
The causes of allergies in children in the form of red spots on the body
Frequent allergies in children are caused by the fact that the immature immune system of the child’s body reacts inadequately to various substances that enter it.
This means that it is legitimate to speak of a genetic, hereditary predisposition to the development of an allergic reaction. Also, more often than other children on admission to the pediatrician with skin rashes crumbs that were born premature or with a small weight fall.
A provocative factor for the development of an allergic reaction of the organism is an unfavorable ecological situation, frequent viral diseases, and intestinal dysbiosis.
The most common causes of allergic red spots on the body of a child are:
Photo: Severe allergic reaction in the form of spots on the back of a child
- food products;
- hygiene products;
- room dust, or rather, waste products of a dust mite;
- vegetable pollen;
- chemical substances;
- animal protein saliva compounds;
- poisonous components of insect saliva, etc.
Dermatologists and pediatricians distinguish the following types of allergies on the skin of a child, depending on the root cause of its occurrence:
- food allergies;
In addition to skin reactions, allergies in children may be accompanied by rhinitis, conjunctivitis, asthma attacks, laryngeal edema. Therefore, when the first warning signs appear, it is necessary to urgently show the baby to a highly qualified specialist in order to prevent the occurrence of complications.
Food allergies are the most common type of childhood allergies, especially in infants. This is primarily due to the quality and composition of the products consumed. Today, store shelves are bursting with an abundance of food, but it is extremely difficult to come across a product without preservatives, dyes and genetically modified additives. Food allergens enter the body with mother’s milk. It is for this reason that all mothers are recommended a strict diet at discharge from the hospital.
However, the danger of an allergen entering through breast milk should in no way encourage mothers to refuse to breastfeed.
However, daily pediatricians are faced with such a problem as food allergy, which occurs in children in the first years of life and is associated with artificial feeding and / or the introduction of complementary foods after artificial feeding. As the statistics show, the earlier the child is transferred to artificial feeding, the more likely he is to get food allergies.
Photo: Red spots on the face as a manifestation of food allergies
The fragile body of the baby still cannot fully adapt to the new conditions of life and nutrition.
They help the child to adapt to the big world, and his immune system – to get stronger, to prepare for “independent” work. If there are none, or there are few of them, the unformed immunity is still an intense load. He does not cope, giving out severe allergic reactions.
This pathology is manifested by small eruptions on the body, which can merge into round spots.
- Rashes are most often localized on the cheeks of babies and popularly called diathesis.
- Skin rash is accompanied by itching and burning. Very often, the baby is worried about abdominal pain, indigestion (vomiting, diarrhea, nausea).
- In severe cases, the lips, the mucous membranes of the eyes, the larynx, and even the call to stop breathing may swell.
The described symptoms fit into the picture of angioedema Quincke, which, along with anaphylactic shock, is a life-threatening condition ..
- milk protein casein,
- yeast pastry.
If this type of allergy occurs, the most important thing is to identify and eliminate the effect of the allergen on the patient’s body.
In children of different ages, the symptoms of the disease may differ, but, as practice shows, up to 6 months, this type of allergy does not occur.
From six months to two years, the urticaria develops in response to:
- use of highly allergenic products,
- use of cosmetics with a large number of fragrances, dyes and other additives.
As the child gets older, the list of allergens expands significantly. A special point is worth noting the allergic reaction to parasites. Helminthiasis (to which enterobioses caused by pinworms, ascaridosis and
The symptoms of urticaria depend on the severity of the pathological process:
- Initially, blisters and pink spots appear on the skin, which have bright red circles along the edge. The rash protrudes above the skin level and is distinguished by symmetrical arrangement of the elements.
- In addition, a characteristic feature of urticaria is the complete reversibility of pathological changes.
- As the skin recovers, the skin is cleansed, scars and pigmentation do not form on it, no signs of rash remain.
Treatment of this type of allergy is based on the use of H1-antihistamine drugs.
Depending on the root cause of the disease, food, infectious, drug, and other types of toxicidermia are distinguished. As medical practice shows, most often the basis of the development of this pathology lies allergic reaction to medication.
When toxicoderma in children, the severity of the clinical picture depends on the severity of the allergic reaction. But, most often it is the appearance of itching on any part of the body, in the same place there appear small vesicles, which can significantly increase and turn into papules, merging together into large foci.
In this case, the baby may be disturbed by symptoms of general malaise of intoxication:
Photo: Toxidermia on the face of an infant
- hyperthermia (fever);
- weakness, lethargy;
- loss of appetite;
In severe cases, it is possible to develop angioedema, affecting the brain and anaphylactic shock. Therefore, when the first tumors appear on the baby’s skin, it is necessary to urgently show him to the pediatrician in order not to endanger the health and life of the baby.
At risk of this disease are children under 3 years. Contributing to photodermatosis are the following factors:
- an existing allergy of any type;
- past viral diseases;
- taking antibiotics or other photosensitizing drugs;
- chronic diseases of the hepatobiliary system and kidneys.
Symptoms of photodermatosis can be red rashes on areas of skin that are open to clothing, tearing, and swelling of the face, especially in the area of the nasolabial triangle.
It is important to note that there are two forms of allergy to the sun – the actual polymorphic photodermatosis and solar urticaria. They appear a little differently.
If the mother noticed that after staying in the sun, the baby’s little body is covered with pink spots with blisters, then it is necessary to bring the child into the room, wash the skin with clean water, give an antihistamine medication and show the baby to a specialist.
The rash of photodermatosis is very similar to the manifestation of sunburn or any other allergic disease. Therefore, a highly qualified doctor should deal with the diagnosis and treatment.
Dermatitis is also a type of dermatological allergy. The causes of this disease are different.
For dermatitis is characterized by a clinical picture, which manifests itself:
- scaly, rough skin in the pathological focus.
On the place of spots in case of allergies in a child, there may be roughness, depigmented areas in the form of white spots. So that in the future the child will not worry about cosmetic defects, it is necessary to diagnose and treat allergies in a timely manner.
Localization of allergic red spots on the body of a child
Characteristic of allergic red spots on the body of a child is their arbitrary location. But pediatricians restored some connection between the allergen and the site of localization of the allergic focus:
- allergy on foot appears when exposed to the allergen by contact or aerogenic (household chemicals, plants, cosmetic products);
- rashes appear on the face due to food allergies, as well as an allergic reaction to sunlight;
- in language rash is common with urticaria, with a medical allergy;
- on the pope infants often develop a rash with diaper dermatitis, allergies to chemicals and cosmetics, very often this type of rash is complicated by a secondary infection;
- skin rashes on the back and abdomen often confused with common prickly heat, but they occur due to contact, food or drug allergies, single pink spots can merge into a single large spot;
- on hands most often there are red spots in case of food allergy, most often foci are diagnosed on the elbow;
- on the palms An allergic reaction is manifested when in contact with household chemicals, detergents, as well as when using low-quality rubber or plastic toys.
In any case, only a qualified doctor will be able to accurately diagnose the disease and identify its root cause.
Given the fact that many diseases can be accompanied by the appearance of red spots on the body of a child, it is necessary to learn how to differentiate allergies from other pathologies. The essential difference is the nature and location of the elements of the rash.
You need to differentiate allergies from other diseases that can cause red spots on the body (all photos can be increased):