Pregnancy is a long-awaited and exciting state of many women. In addition to the pleasant emotions of future mothers pursue unusual sensations. First of all, it is nausea during pregnancy in the early stages. However, this symptom is not a precursor of abnormal development of the fetus. According to statistics, at 4-7 weeks of pregnancy, 60% of women show signs of toxicosis. And less than 10% of expectant mothers need hospital treatment.
In most cases, toxicosis occurs without consequences and complications. In mild form, it does not require any treatment. If there is a sharp loss of weight, severe vomiting or weakness – one cannot do without the help of a specialist.
The most common belief that weakness, nausea during early pregnancy should be a must, and their absence is an alarming signal.
Causes of nausea during early pregnancy
According to most experts, nausea provoke the slightest hormonal changes. Risk factors:
- pathologies of the digestive system;
- thyroid or kidney disease;
- frequent stress;
- infectious diseases;
- poisoning or intoxication.
Also, the cause of severe nausea during pregnancy in the early stages may be smoking a future mother. And in some cases it is the result of self-hypnosis. Many mothers are repelled from previous experience, or simply pay too much attention to their experiences. Perhaps in this case, the pregnant should visit a psychologist.
Despite the fact that nausea does not indicate a violation, you should not consider it the norm. Since the frequent and strong emetic urges can negatively affect the health of not only the mother, but also the baby. Admissible is considered in the morning on an empty stomach.
There are many different theories that tried to explain the causes of nausea in the first trimester of pregnancy. Among them: reflex, hormonal, immune, allergic and others. However, to date, experts could not figure out the exact cause.
The organism of the future mother is exposed to various stimuli from the moment of fertilization. Not all systems and organs are ready to completely resist this, and as a result a peculiar response arises.
Symptoms of nausea during early pregnancy
A woman finds out about her interesting position at about 4-5 weeks. At the same time, the first signs of early toxicosis appear. In addition to weakness, the constant desire to sleep and irritability, the future mother begins to be disturbed by nausea, vomiting and the aggravation of smell.
Many pregnant women suffer from nausea in early pregnancy to delay. The reasons for this phenomenon are rather difficult to explain. Perhaps this is due to fear and feelings or self-suggestion.
The main symptoms of nausea during pregnancy in the early stages:
- Vomiting. Doctors allocate several forms of vomiting:
- lightweight It is characterized by infrequent gagging (up to five per day). During the week, the expectant mother can lose 1-3 kg. Her general condition is normal. Perhaps the emergence of apathy. Changes in the analyzes are not recorded;
- average. The number of gagging increases already up to 10 times a day, metabolism is disturbed. For seven days, the expectant mother can lose up to 5 kg. Pressure may drop and heart palpitations increase. If treatment is started on time, the prognosis will be favorable;
- heavy This form is accompanied by dizziness and nausea in early pregnancy. The frequency of emetic attacks reaches twenty times a day. There is a sleep disturbance, fluid and water do not linger in the stomach. A pregnant woman loses weight dramatically, feels dry tongue. A sharp smell of acetone appears from the mouth;
- Dermatosis Cases of its occurrence are much less common. Often it is manifested by skin itching;
- Choking or bronchial asthma. The disease is severe and is accompanied by a dry cough;
- Increased salivation. May appear as an independent pathology or with vomiting.
A mild form of nausea does not require treatment and goes away with time. Nausea without vomiting may occur in early pregnancy. This happens often on an empty stomach or in the morning. To remove the unpleasant feeling, just eat a little.
However, there are a number of symptoms that indicate the need to go to a health facility and be examined:
- vomiting seizures occur more often 10 times a day;
- fever and nausea in early pregnancy;
- rapid heartbeat;
- future mother is rapidly losing weight.
If you have these symptoms, you should consult with a specialist and receive treatment.
Diagnosis of nausea during early pregnancy
To determine the diagnosis of nausea in pregnant women for professionals is not difficult. To determine the degree and severity of the disease, the expectant mother needs to be examined and tested. As a result, the doctor will be able to determine the content of bilirubin in the blood, sodium, potassium, glucose, nitrogen, protein, and protein fractions. In urine, the doctor determines the levels of protein, acetone, bile pigments and urobilin. In terms of Ht, you can determine how dehydrated the future mother’s body is.
Instrumental diagnosis of nausea includes:
- Ultrasound. Examination of the abdominal cavity will allow assessing the condition of not only the biliary tract and gallbladder, but also the intestines, kidneys, pancreas;
- acidity test. The study will show the level of acidity in the body. If the study showed that the pH of the stomach is not more than 2.0, this indicates the presence of gastroenterological diseases or inflammatory processes;
- esophagogastroduodenoscopy. It is a procedure that allows a specialist to assess the state of the surface of the stomach, esophagus and duodenum. To do this, use a special tool – an endoscope. Conducted in case of urgent need.
Also carried out a differential diagnosis. It is necessary to determine the exact diagnosis. Because nausea is accompanied by various diseases. For example, pancreatitis, gastritis, food poisoning, stomach cancer.
Who to contact?
Treatment of nausea during early pregnancy
Moms-to-be are worried about the main question, what to do and how to get rid of nausea in early pregnancy. There are many effective ways to deal with this problem. However, do not self-medicate. In order not to harm yourself and the unborn child, it is better to be examined and follow the recommendations of the attending physician.
Methods of treating nausea during early pregnancy
Treatment of nausea involves the elimination of the causes of its occurrence. Its main goal is to restore metabolism, water-salt metabolism, to improve the work of important organs. Severe and moderate vomiting is treated in the hospital. It is possible to get rid of mild nausea on an outpatient basis.
To eliminate nausea in the evening during pregnancy in the early stages, the diet of the pregnant woman should be reviewed first. Food should be taken in small portions about 3-4 times a day, chilled.
Drug treatment involves the use of drugs that will help eliminate nausea and vomiting:
- Motilium. The drug is used for violations of the motility of the digestive system and severe bouts of nausea. It has antiemetic and anti-nausea action, blocking dopamine receptors in neuron cells. Contraindications to the use of: internal bleeding, epilepsy, pain in the abdomen, high blood pressure. According to the instructions, the daily dose of the drug is 1-2 tablets, the intake should be divided into 3 times. Take motilium necessary after meals;
- Zeercal. Helps to get rid of the constant nausea during pregnancy in the early stages. Used with frequent vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps. The dosage is prescribed by the attending physician individually. Since the drug can adversely affect the condition of the fetus. The average daily dose is 10-15 mg 2-3 times. Side effects: dry mouth, weakness, apathy, muscle spasms. If a woman followed the recommendations of a specialist and took the drug correctly, as a result, her overall condition will significantly improve, the bowels work faster;
- Regidron Diarrhea and nausea in early pregnancy lead to the removal of large amounts of fluid from the body. To restore it, doctors prescribe this drug. The daily dose of the drug is 30/60 ml of solution per kilogram of weight. Per liter of warm water enough 1 sachet of the drug. It is forbidden to add sugar or its substitutes to the resulting solution, since they will reduce the therapeutic effect. Although the drug is safe, it is better to take it under the supervision of a physician;
- Polyphepane It is an enterosorbing agent that helps with diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, has a detoxification effect. It is taken one hour before meals. Pregnant women are not allowed to take the drug themselves. The doctor, after examining, sets the dosage and duration of treatment.
Physical procedures are carried out to eliminate nausea and vomiting in the early stages of pregnancy. Physiotherapy treatment includes:
- Endonasal electrophoresis. For the procedure used vitamins B;
- Electroplating of the brain.
Conducting these procedures helps to suppress the activity of the emetic center in the brain.
The effectiveness of traditional medicine for nausea
To get rid of unpleasant symptoms, many resort to popular treatment. The most effective means to combat nausea during pregnancy in the early stages of the morning or evening differs:
- cranberry juice. To make juice, you need to wash and grind about 150-200 grams of cranberries. Frayed berries are poured boiling water and boil for ten minutes. In juice you can add lemon juice and sugar. It is necessary to drink means at emergence of the first emetic desires;
- potato juice. Potatoes must be crushed with a blender or meat grinder. The resulting liquid is taken with nausea after eating in early pregnancy about 2 tablespoons;
- To get rid of heartburn and nausea in early pregnancy, the use of pumpkin juice or seeds is recommended.
Nausea at night during early pregnancy causes sleep disturbance and irritability. To get rid of unpleasant sensations, you can turn to herbal treatments. The most effective and safe decoction melissa. At 1 liter of water used 6 tbsp. l grass Melis should pour boiling water and insist for 3 hours. Take a decoction of 0.5 cups 4-5 times a day.
Tea from mint (20 g), valerian root (15 g), marigold flowers (20 g) and millennial (20 g) also helps well. Mix herbs with boiling water (0.5 l) and infuse for 3 hours. After tea, strain and take 6 tablespoons 6 times a day.
Another good tool that helps to forget about nausea and vomiting in the first trimester of pregnancy is fennel. It improves digestion and soothes the stomach. To prepare the broth you need to brew 1 teaspoon in a glass of boiling water. After 10 minutes, the broth should be thoroughly drained. You can add honey or lemon juice.
Homeopathic medicines for nausea
Many experts prefer to prescribe homeopathic remedies that reduce gagging and facilitate the general condition of the future mother. Today from homeopathy the following drugs are most popular:
- Kokkulin. Tablets eliminate nausea and prevent vomiting, improve appetite. Per day, take two tablets three times a day. The drug has no side effects. Contraindications include individual intolerance;
- Sepia. The product was developed on the basis of dried cuttlefish ink. The tool is prescribed for vomiting, constant nausea, constipation and pain. The duration of the course of treatment and the dose is established by the attending physician;
- Ipecacuanha. The tool helps to get rid of severe nausea and excessive salivation. The drug is taken three times a day. Doses determined by a specialist;
- Kolhikum. When nausea from eating and chills, the drug is recommended to take three balls three times a day (grains).