Candles Viferon is a powerful immunostimulant with a pronounced antiviral effect.
The main active substance is alpha-2B interferon, created synthetically (it is also called genetic engineering or recombinant). This substance is noted antiviral properties, as well as immunomodulatory effects. Interferon after administration to the rectum and suction activates the activity of cells that protect children’s bodies from viruses and bacteria.
On this page you will find all the information about Viferon: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Viferon candles. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Interferon Immunomodulatory drug with antiviral action.
Pharmacy sales terms
Released without a doctor’s prescription.
How much are viferon candles? Consider the average prices for candles with different doses.
- For 500,000 IU: the price is 500,000 for 10 pieces – 380-400 rubles, you can buy the product at any pharmacy, the specialist will not need a formula.
- For candles 150,000 IU: cost 150,000 for 10 pieces – 150 rubles. This is the smallest dosage of the drug used for very young children.
- For the drug, 1 000 000 IU: 1 000 000 for 10 pieces – 540 rubles. This is the strongest dosage, used strictly in acute and dangerous processes by older children and adults.
On average, it turns out what for 1 piece 150 – 15 rubles, candles 500 – 40 rubles, candles 1 000 – 54 rubles.
Release form and composition
If you need to buy Viferon candles, instructions for use are in each carton. Inside the carton in a special PVC blister contains 10 candles. They are made in the form of a torpedo, which is easy to enter into the body. Sometimes the suppository may have a non-uniform color.
- Suppositories are available with varying dosages of the human recombinant interferon alfa-2b active ingredient. Its amount in 1 unit of medicine is written on the package.
- The basis of the candles is cocoa butter and confectionary fat, which help them to keep their shape, providing the necessary density. The list of excipients is listed in the instructions. They enhance the effect of the drug, performing the functions assigned to them by pharmacists.
Suppositories Viferon are available with different content of the active substance, while in childhood, the candles are used 150000ME and 500000ME. In adults, candles with the dosage of 1000000ME and 3000000ME are used. In addition to candles, Viferon is also produced in such forms as gel and ointment.
Viferon is a drug of human recombinant interferon alpha-2b / which has antiviral, immunomodulatory and antiproliferative effects. Under the influence of interferon in the body, the activity of natural killer cells, T-helper cells, cytotoxic T-lymphocytes, phagocytic activity, B-lymphocyte differentiation intensity, expression of MHC type I and II antigens increases.
The drug also directly inhibits the replication and transcription of viruses, chlamydia. Damage to cell membranes, observed during the development of an infectious process, is the reason for the decrease in the antiviral activity of interferon. Tocopherol acetate and ascorbic acid, which are part of the drug Viferon, are membrane stabilizing components, antioxidants, in combination with which the antiviral activity of recombinant interferon alpha-2b increases 10-14 times. In addition, the immunomodulatory effect of interferon on T- and B-lymphocytes is enhanced, the content of immunoglobulin E is normalized, there are no side effects (fever, fever, influenza-like phenomena) arising from the parenteral administration of interferon preparations.
It has been established that when using Viferon for 2 years no antibodies are formed that neutralize the antiviral activity of recombinant interferon alfa-2b. The use of the drug Viferon can significantly reduce the course dose and the duration of courses of treatment with antibiotics, hormones and cytotoxic drugs. Features of the introduction of the dosage form provide long-term circulation in the blood of interferon alfa-2b.
Indications for use
Candles are intended for use in the case of diseases caused by bacteria. And also with:
In the complex treatment, Viferon is prescribed also for hepatitis B, C, D, as well as for hepatitis of viral origin with the simultaneous course of cirrhosis of the liver.
The manufacturer indicated in the instructions among possible contraindications only individual intolerance to the substances that make up the drug. It should be noted that preparations based on interferon of foreign pharmaceutical companies have a large range of contraindications, such as insufficient functioning of the kidneys and liver, vascular and heart diseases, as well as thyroid problems.
People with such diseases should always consult with your doctor about the possibility of treatment with Viferon without harm to health. It is possible that the doctor will prescribe another agent to treat the flu. The same applies to the treatment of acute viral infections in pregnant and lactating women, who need to be very careful about the choice of drugs, so as not to harm the child.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Breastfeeding candles Viferon may be used for the treatment of bacterial and infectious diseases. The dosage remains the same as for an adult.
Pregnant women for a period not earlier than 2 weeks are allowed to use suppositories with any content of interferon. Up to 14 days the use of the drug is not allowed due to the lack of a sufficient number of studies.
Pregnant and nursing mothers should not self-prescribe treatment with Viferon. Only a doctor, on the basis of the characteristics of the course of pregnancy, determines: the rate of the drug per day, the dose and duration of administration.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicated that Viferon in the form of candles is used rectally.
Acute respiratory viral infections, including influenza, in
- Premature newborns with gestational age less than 34 weeks are prescribed Viferon 150,000 ME and 1 suppository 3 times / day after 8 hours daily for 5 days. According to clinical indications, therapy can be continued. The break between courses is 5 days.
- Children up to 7 years old
Infectious and inflammatory diseases of newborns,
- The recommended dose for newborns, in
Chronic viral hepatitis B, C, D in children and adults as part of complex therapy, in
- The recommended dose for adults is Viferon 3,000,000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day after 12 hours daily for 10 days, then three times a week every other day for 6-12 months. The duration of treatment is determined by clinical efficacy and laboratory parameters.
- 300 000-500 000 ME / day are recommended for children under 6 months; at the age of 6 to 12 months – 500 000 ME / day.
- Children aged 1 to 7 years old recommend 3,000,000 ME per 1 m2 of body surface area / day.
- Children over 7 years old are recommended 5,000,000 ME per 1 m2 of body surface area / day.
- The drug is used 2 times / day after 12 h the first 10 days daily, then three times a week every other day for 6-12 months. The duration of treatment is determined by clinical efficacy and laboratory parameters.
- The calculation of the daily dose of the drug for each patient is made by multiplying the recommended dose for a given age by the surface area of the body, calculated from the nomogram to calculate the surface area of the body by height and weight according to Harford, Terry and Rourke. Calculation of a single dose is carried out by dividing the calculated daily dose into 2 administrations, the resulting value is rounded up to the dosage of the suppository.
- In chronic viral hepatitis, pronounced activity and liver cirrhosis before plasmapheresis and / or hemosorption are prescribed for children under the age of 7 years Viferon 150 000 ME, children over the age of 7 years – Viferon 500 000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day every 12 hours within 14 days.
Primary or recurrent herpetic infection of the skin and mucous membranes, localized form, mild to moderate, in
- The recommended dose for adults is Viferon 1 000 000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day in 12 hours daily for 10 days or more for recurrent infections. According to clinical indications, therapy can be continued. It is recommended to start treatment immediately when the first signs of skin and mucous membrane lesions appear (itching, burning, redness). In the treatment of recurrent herpes, it is desirable to begin treatment in the prodromal period or at the very beginning of the manifestation of signs of relapse.
- Pregnant women with the second trimester of pregnancy (starting from the 14th week of gestation) are prescribed Viferon 500,000 ME 1 suppository 2 times / day after 12 hours daily for 10 days, then 1 suppository 2 times / day after 12 hours every fourth day for 10 days. Then every 4 weeks until delivery – Viferon 150,000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day every 12 hours every day for 5 days. If necessary, before delivery (from 38 weeks of gestation), Viferon 500 000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day every 12 hours daily for 10 days is indicated.
Infectious and inflammatory diseases of the urogenital tract (chlamydia, cytomegalovirus infection, ureaplasmosis, trichomoniasis, gardnerellosis, human papillomavirus infection, bacterial vaginosis, recurrent vaginal candidiasis, mycoplasmosis) in adults, including pregnant women as part of complex therapy:
- The recommended dose for adults is Viferon 500,000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day in 12 hours daily for 5-10 days. According to clinical indications, therapy can be continued.
- Pregnant women with the second trimester of pregnancy (starting from the 14th week of gestation) are prescribed Viferon 500,000 ME 1 suppository 2 times / day after 12 hours daily for 10 days, then 1 suppository 2 times / day after 12 hours every fourth day for 10 days. Then every 4 weeks until delivery – Viferon 150,000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day every 12 hours every day for 5 days. If necessary, prescribe before delivery (from the 38th week of gestation) Viferon 500000 ME and 1 suppository 2 times / day after 12 hours daily for 10 days.
It is worth knowing that 1 suppository contains human recombinant interferon alpha-2b as the active substance in the indicated dosages (150,000 IU, 500,000 IU, 1,000,000 IU, 3,000,000 IU).
Viferon in the form of ointment in most cases is well tolerated. Side effects when applied to the nasal mucosa are usually transient and weak in nature and disappear on their own after discontinuation of the drug.
In extremely rare cases, when using the gel in patients with hypersensitivity, local allergic reactions may develop. When they appear, treatment is stopped.
When using suppositories Viferon in some cases, allergic reactions may develop (itching, skin rash). These phenomena are reversible and disappear 72 hours after cessation of therapy.
Viferon in the form of suppositories for pregnant women can be used from the 14th week of pregnancy.
Viferon is well combined with all drugs used in the treatment of viral and other diseases (chemotherapy, antibiotics, glucocorticosteroids).
We picked up some reviews of people about Viferon candles:
- Sasha. The child was not yet a year old when he fell ill. I had to call a doctor who diagnosed ARVI. By his appointment bought candles Viferon. The child had neither cough nor runny nose. We were only worried about the high temperature. The course of treatment was 5 days. In the morning and in the evening they inserted one candle each. As a result, one package was enough for the entire period of therapy. Candles are introduced rectally, but the child did not resist. During treatment, she noticed that a rash appeared on the baby’s skin, was scared that this was an allergic reaction, but soon everything was gone. I can say that the drug helped: the temperature dropped to a normal value on the third day of treatment.
- Olga My children with colds never liked taking powder medicine. Somehow got with the younger to the doctor with complicated bacterial infections, and we were recommended to Interal-P. Candles in the pharmacy was not there, bought Viferon – I liked the instructions for use. Since then, I use Viferon for the prevention of sores, acute respiratory infections. Is it an antibiotic or not? I do not know.
- Julia . In the reviews, read that with mycoplasmosis, recurrent herpetic infections prescribe Viferon. Means shows activity in relation to infections, bacteria, has no side effects, cheap at the price. I also want to try. I hope the reviews will not let you down. I bought the gel for the price of 160 rubles, tomorrow I will start the application.
- Timur. Great drug. Often we take for our little daughter. Well helps – the child rarely gets sick more than 4-5 days. To pick up pills or syrup, which she agrees to drink, is not always possible. With candles, everything is much simpler. The only thing that I don’t really like is that it’s difficult to take along on the road, as candles should be kept at a temperature not higher than 10 degrees.
When prescribing Viferon, many patients are interested in cheaper counterparts that can replace the drug. Among the analogues of Viferon, the following drugs are the most popular:
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store candles should be away from children at a temperature not exceeding 10 degrees (preferably in the refrigerator) in the original packaging. The shelf life of candles is 2 years from the date of manufacture. At the end of the shelf life of the drug should be discarded.