Staphylococcus during pregnancy is not uncommon. This type of microorganism surrounds a person from the very moment of birth. In this case, the infection occurs quickly, and in the future it coexists quite successfully with the human body throughout life. It is present almost everywhere: on clothes, in dust, on household items, in the environment and even in physiological secretions, for example, saliva.
Modern medicine is known for more than 27 species of this microbe, while almost all of them do not pose a threat to health. But experts refer them to the so-called opportunistic microorganisms. That is, they are harmless until a certain point.
When the body’s immune defenses weaken, the bacteria multiply, which provokes various inflammatory diseases. That is what happens during pregnancy.
Many people know that pregnancy is often the decisive or decisive factor. Immunity decreases, various diseases arise. It is against the background of poor protection of the body that various microorganisms are activated.
Sometimes they can threaten the life of the fetus, so staphylococcus during pregnancy poses a particular danger. It should be noted that in most of these microorganisms live on the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx, and also breed in carious teeth, therefore the expectant mother needs preventive check-ups at the dentist and otolaryngologist.
Of all the types of this microorganism known to science, only three represent the danger during the period when a baby is born:
- The least harmful of them is saprophytic staphylococcus. The place of its localization is the urinogenital system and the skin in the genital area. Accordingly, in the case of its activation, there are complications related to inflammation of the bladder, and in more complex cases – kidney damage. The most common effects are acute cystitis, urethritis;
- Epidermal staphylococcus found during pregnancy is of great danger. It lives only on the surface of the skin. It does not cause significant problems, while it leads vital activity on the skin, but if it enters the bloodstream, the risk of sepsis and acute inflammation of the inner membranes of the heart increases. Among the complications are purulent infections and the occurrence of purulent wounds, conjunctivitis;
- And the most dangerous is Staphylococcus aureus during pregnancy. This species is a threat to both the expectant mother and the baby in the womb. For women, the risk of developing many diseases increases – pneumonia, meningitis, peritonitis, and severe purulent processes. In addition, it provokes skin diseases – boils, acne, barley. Staphylococcus aureus is a much greater danger to the fetus – there may be a missed abortion and an acute infection of the fetal membranes of the child itself. Activating on the skin of a woman, it can easily penetrate into the mammary glands and lead to the development of such a dangerous disease as purulent mastitis. This microorganism secretes dangerous toxins and can affect an already newborn baby, as a result of which the last one develops large painful blisters on the skin, similar to burns.
How to learn about pathogenic flora
Each type of staph during activation is accompanied by its own unique symptoms. Manifestations of the disease primarily depend on the location of the infection.
Many of the symptoms resemble completely different diseases, so a woman often does not attach importance to them, for example, a long runny nose or sore throat that cannot be treated may indicate activation of opportunistic microorganisms.
Each type of these bacteria manifests itself differently, starting with mild cold symptoms and ending with pronounced signs of damage to the urogenital system. Staphylococcus during pregnancy can be easily detected in bacposev.
The most striking is the symptoms of Staphylococcus aureus. At the same time, the signs directly depend on the place of infection in the body. Very often, various skin lesions appear first. Usually, the disease manifests itself in the form of pyoderma, which is characterized by lesions of the skin around the mouth of the hair.
As a result, there are carbuncles, ulcers on the buttocks, thighs, neck. Skin symptoms include dermatitis, boils, eczema, felon and abscesses. When the infection is localized in the urogenital system, it can be detected in the urine or vaginal smear.
There are also a number of other signs of infection:
- Sore throat, pain that resembles a sore throat;
- Runny nose;
- Long, annoying cough;
- Gastrointestinal disorders, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- Pain during urination, cutting in the lower abdomen.
Diagnosis and treatment of the future mother
It is advisable to eliminate possible risks at the planning stage of pregnancy. This will avoid serious consequences in the future. But in most cases, perinatal diagnosis is already carried out.
This event will determine whether there is or is no threat of bacterial activation:
- Staphylococcus during pregnancy is detected in a smear from the vagina. Then, specialists from the laboratory count the number of bacterial colonies. If their level significantly exceeds the norm, the doctor determines the course of necessary treatment;
- Staphylococcus can be detected in the urine during pregnancy during the delivery of routine tests. As already mentioned, it can get from the bladder by the ascending path into the kidneys, then into the blood, and then lead to sepsis. Therefore, it is very important to pass tests on time;
- Hemolytic appearance is determined using a smear from a nose or mouth. It can cause the development of tonsillitis or purulent tonsillitis. The main danger lies in the inflammatory processes of the respiratory tract, which leads to fetal hypoxia (lack of oxygen) and its infection. It is also possible missed abortion.
Therapy may differ significantly in each case of the disease. The choice of treatment measures affects the localization of the infection, as well as the form of the pathology. Staphylococcus is known for its high resistance to antibiotics, but still they are the main treatment.
The drug is selected after analyzing the sensitivity of the microorganism to antibiotics. Also the role played by pregnancy. In addition to antibacterial use of local agents. Immunomodulators, bacteriophages can be prescribed. When bacteria are detected in a nasal or oral smear, rinsing with an alcoholic solution, such as Chlorophilipt, is necessary.
The same drug can be used for instillation into the nasal passages, but already in oil form. Among physiotherapeutic procedures quartz treatment is widely practiced. To avoid infecting the child in the womb, apply toxoid.
This type of microorganism in any case represents a threat to the successful course of pregnancy. Primarily at risk of a child. The presence of active bacteria significantly complicates the process of delivery and entails the danger of serious consequences for the future baby.
Staphylococcal prophylaxis in the period of childbearing
Surely everyone knows that it is better to prevent the disease than to treat it later. This is especially important for a pregnant woman.
Even the epidermal type, which very rarely leads to complications, in the period of gestation represents a serious threat.
Prevention measures primarily include personal hygiene.
Since conditionally pathogenic organisms become active only when immunity decreases, it is necessary to direct forces to maintain one — eat a balanced diet, be physically active, go to a doctor if any warning signs appear.