Children often suffer from colds, accompanied by a runny nose, which will help to fight the drug “Sialor (Protargol) for children.”
The composition of Sialor (Protargola)
The drug contains such active ingredients as: silver proteinate (protargol) and polyvinyl-N-pyrrolidone.
Sialor is an antiseptic drug that has astringent, anti-inflammatory and disinfectant effects. The main difference between a drug and antibiotics is the absence of symptoms of dysbacteriosis as a result of its use.
After the drops fall on the inflamed mucous membrane, they form a kind of protection-film. That it contributes to the effective elimination of the inflammatory process, the restoration of damaged tissue, as well as vasoconstriction.
Silver ions, having a positive effect on the human body, simultaneously fight bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Silver ions inhibit the reproduction and further spread of pathogens.
Mechanism of action
Instructions for use states that silver proteinin, which is part of the droplets for children “Sialor (Protargol)” has an extremely positive effect on the body:
- disinfects the nasal cavity and cleans up from pathogenic microbes;
- protects the beneficial microflora: silver proteinate does not destroy the body’s own non-pathogenic flora, and does not adversely affect the metabolic processes;
- removes the inflammatory process, significantly reduces the swelling and irritation of the nasal mucosa.
When is Sialor used (Protargol)
Direct indications for the use of nose drops for children are the following conditions and diseases:
- all sorts of nose problems;
- vasomotor rhinitis;
- drops are also used as a prophylactic agent for colds.
Like all drugs, Sialor has its own contraindications. Let us consider in more detail in which cases the use of drops is absolutely not recommended for both children and adults:
- atrophic rhinitis;
- angle-closure glaucoma;
- increased heart rate per minute;
- high blood pressure (hypertension);
- atherosclerosis, which has a pronounced nature of the flow;
- individual immunity of any of the components that make up the droplets;
- gestation period of pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- surgical intervention in the lining of the brain.
Undesirable side effects due to the use of drops can be observed only if the doses recommended by the treating doctor are exceeded. Then the following symptoms appear:
- irritation of the nasal mucosa occurs;
- dryness increases;
- there is a burning sensation in the nasal region, numbness, itching;
- develop headache of varying intensity, redness of the eyes;
- rarely a drug can trigger allergic reactions, even anaphylactic shock.
The best way to prevent adverse events is to strictly adhere to all medical recommendations regarding dosage.
How to breed and use Sialor
Children’s drops for children “Sialor” are sold in cardboard packages, which contain:
- 1 tablet, which is in a blister;
- 10 ml of purified water is a solvent for tablets;
- a dark glass bottle with a convenient pipette cap;
- The instruction in which are given recommendations about application.
Parents should be aware that pharmacies also sell bottles with a spray nozzle. This option is not suitable for children who have not reached the age of 16, as this drug is used exclusively for adult patients.
Consider how to properly prepare and apply nasal drops. Preparation of the tool does not take much time and is not a difficult process.
- Before preparing the drops, check the expiration date of the drug.
- Prepare the ingredients of the future medicine by opening the packaging.
- Open the container with purified water-solvent and pour it into a vial.
- The tablet is also placed in the vial. It should be remembered that it is necessary to open the blister immediately before the process of preparation of the medication is started. This moment is very important, because in the open air silver proteinate is rapidly oxidized, losing its beneficial healing properties.
- Close the vial and shake until the tablet is completely dissolved. It takes about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Prepared drug has a dark brown color, and also has a specific smell. After each use, the bottle with drops should be tightly closed and stored in a cold place (a refrigerator is ideal). Shelf life drops – 30 days. Short shelf life and storage conditions are due to the fact that the drug is relatively unstable to air, high ambient temperature and sunlight. Under the influence of these external factors, the chemical bonds in the silver proteinate molecule are destroyed, and the medicine loses its healing properties.
- Many parents are interested at what age children can use Sialor drops. Babies are allowed to use this drug from the first days of life. But without fail before the first use it is necessary to test the means for individual tolerance. Make it easy: just put a drop of the prepared solution on the elbow bend. If the skin in the area of application turns red or becomes covered with a rash, then the child should not use medicines that contain silver. After such a reaction of the skin, you need to wash the baby’s handle under running water. If necessary, consult a pediatrician.
- If the reaction of the skin is not, then you can use the drug for the treatment of crumbs. Before instillation should clean the nasal passages, and then use the prepared drug.
When treating with the drug Sialor (Protargol), the dosage recommended by the doctor should be strictly observed. As a rule, the doses for treatment are as follows:
- for children – from 3 to 5 drops in each nasal passage 2 times a day (as for newborns and infants, you should consult with the doctor);
- for adult patients – 5 drops in each nasal passage in the morning and evening hours;
- if the pathology of the urogenital system is diagnosed, 2% drops should be applied;
- The course of treatment lasts no more than 7-14 days.
Analogs of Sialor
Sialor and Protargol are the only nose drops with antiseptic properties, based on silver proteinate. A similar mechanism of action has a few more medical drugs-analogues, which should be used only as prescribed by the attending doctor:
- Collargol (composed of colloidal silver);
- Miramistin (composed of benzyldimethyl);
If there is a long course of therapy with drops for the nose, which exceeds the recommended period, then the development of mucosal edema, nasal congestion and other side effects may occur. That is why it is extremely important not to increase independently the course of treatment without the consent of the doctor.
In continuation of this topic, we suggest reading the following articles: