The emergence of a new family member invariably provokes many questions for parents. One of the reasons for the concern of the young mother is the discovery of whitish crusts on a teme in a baby. Pediatricians call this seborrheic dermatitis, a common occurrence in every second newborn child. Usually, the scales on the head of a baby pass on their own, but sometimes their efforts require some efforts from the parents.
Causes of crusts
After the baby is born, a few more months adapt to a drastic change in the environment. All functions of the fragile organism are aimed at adapting to new conditions – including the work of the sebaceous glands. Because of their hyperactivity, sometimes flaking of the scalp occurs. This phenomenon is physiological and does not cause discomfort. Over time, the secretion of skin secretion returns to normal, and the problem disappears without a trace.
Sometimes, besides the natural causes of the appearance of scales in the infant, there are other culprits of peeling:
- Allergy. The skin of the newborn may respond in this way to an unfamiliar product eaten by mom, of course, under the condition of breastfeeding. In children who are on artificial nutrition, the transition to another mixture often provokes the manifestation of allergies.
- Overheat. Continuous presence in a cap or cap can cause excessive sweating of the infant. Constant humidity and high temperature are factors leading to the appearance of seborrheic crusts.
- Excessive hygiene. Too frequent washing of the head violates the protective functions of the skin, contributing to dryness and tightness of the epidermis. The response of the body will be the active work of the sebaceous glands and the subsequent occurrence of scales.
- The reaction to cosmetics. Baby’s skin is sensitive and prone to irritation. Incorrectly chosen care can harm her. For gentle cleansing, it is necessary to select hypoallergenic agents, created specifically for newborns.
Important! Before attempting to remove the scales on the head of a child, the influence of external factors provoking the formation of seborrheic dermatitis should be excluded.
Dry crusts on the skin – is, first of all, an aesthetic problem that does not cause discomfort to the baby. Without outside intervention, they will gradually pass in 6-12 months. However, many moms are interested in the question of how to remove scales, spoiling the appearance of the beloved offspring. There are safe ways, which will be discussed below.
How to get rid of seborrheic flakes
Helping infants cope with peeling, the main thing – do not hurt him. To safely eliminate the problem, you can use home and medical products, depending on the condition of the skin.
The procedure for removing crusts in stages looks like this:
- Softening. To moisturize the growths should be applied to the scalp of the baby’s head with vegetable oil or petroleum jelly. It is better to choose a sterile product for this purpose. Using cotton wool, the agent is neatly distributed over the desired zone, after which it is left for 30 minutes for exposure. For greater efficiency, you should wear a clean knitted cap on the baby.
- Massaging After softening, it is necessary to carefully comb the affected areas with a comb with natural bristles. You should not press with force – the crusts should easily move away from the surface of the skin. It may be necessary to wash the brush several times during the combing process.
- Bathing. Rinse off any oil and crusts with warm water and baby shampoo. It is important to ensure that contaminated water does not get into the eyes – this will cause discomfort for the baby. It is unlikely that it will be possible to completely get rid of the growths in one session, so you do not need to lather or rub the scalp.
- Drying Complete the process as normal bathing, gently blotting moisture with a towel.
It is important to remember that combing scales should not be repeated daily – this will lead to overdrying of the skin, causing the opposite result. The optimal frequency will be a procedure no more than 1 time per week.
It is unacceptable to peel dry growths with nails or a comb – this is fraught with skin trauma and subsequent infection.
It is possible to buy the softening means for elimination of a seborrheic crust in a drugstore together with the instruction for application. Experts advise to use such tools as a last resort, since they can cause an individual reaction of the infant. It would be better to consult with a children’s dermatologist before applying them.
Prevention of scales
With improper care, the crust may reappear even after it is completely eliminated. Compliance with simple measures will prevent the re-formation of growths:
- Maintain a healthy indoor climate. Regular airing and use of a humidifier is a guarantee of the well-being of any person, especially a newborn. Wet cool air prevents drying of the skin and mucous membrane of the baby, strengthening local immunity.
- Hardening Taking air baths has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the whole body.
- Avoid overheating. You should not dress a baby in a hat or cap around the clock – the skin must breathe. In a warm room, the child will be more comfortable without a hat.
- Use of baby cosmetics. By buying baby shampoo should be approached seriously. You should not purchase a tool of unknown brand. Leading manufacturers of infant care lines monitor product safety by offering a wide range of hypoallergenic cosmetics. Such means for cleansing will reduce the occurrence of negative reactions to a minimum.
Detection of scales on the head of the baby is not a reason for panic. To eliminate and prevent them, it is enough to follow the hygiene of the baby, its comfort and nutrition, and soon the problem will disappear forever.