The inner feelings of future moms on the fifth week may be different: in some, the body works, as before – before pregnancy, while others begin a period of early toxicosis, which causes considerable discomfort. It often happens that pulling the lower abdomen at the 5th week of pregnancy – this symptom is not always considered unfavorable, but it will still be correct to consult a specialist as soon as possible.
Situations when the lower abdomen pulls out at week 5 happen in almost every other woman who is in an “interesting position” and in the overwhelming number of cases the reasons for discomfort turn out to be physiological, when there is a gradual increase in the uterine organ with stretching of muscles and ligaments. With physiological sensations during pregnancy, the woman will face more than once, as the uterus will continue to develop and grow, putting pressure on the adjacent organs: the bladder, liver, digestive system. In later periods, such feelings will be associated with the preparation of musculoskeletal structures for labor: the bones of the pelvis diverge so that the child’s exit to the outside world is more comfortable for him.
And only in 2–25% of pregnant women (according to various sources), discomfort in the lower half of the abdomen can be associated with pathology, which we will discuss below.
Causes of lower abdominal pain in the 5th week of pregnancy
Such a symptom, as nagging pain in the lower abdomen in the fifth week, is physiological or pathological.
One can speak about the physiological causes of this symptom when discomfort in the lower abdomen is associated with an increase in the uterus in the volume: during the enlargement of the organ, not only the myometrium, but also the retention groups of muscles and ligaments stretch. This is manifested by nagging painful and uncomfortable sensations in the pelvic region.
However, for many future mothers, the cause of the pulling sensations can be hidden behind the pathology – most often it is the hypertonus of the uterine organ with an increased risk of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). In this state, the pain is very similar to that in the first days of the menstrual cycle. Especially it is necessary to be on the alert, if the discomfort is accompanied by “smearing” from the genital tract (usually these are smears of red-brown color). We should not exclude the possibility of the development of full bleeding: in such a situation it is necessary to immediately call an “emergency”, as there is a big risk of losing the baby.
Considering the causes of abdominal discomfort in the fifth week, it is necessary to take into account those situations that are not connected with the organs of reproduction. For example, sometimes aching pain may indicate a malfunction in the intestine, or a disorder of digestive function.
Most often, the pulling sensations in the lower abdomen at week 5 may appear in the following situations:
- with multiple babies;
- with endocrine disruptions (for example, diabetes);
- with cysts of the appendages;
- if there are inflammatory diseases of the reproductive organs;
- after injuries of the abdomen, after unsuccessful falls;
- with a pronounced imbalance of hormones;
- in women with endometriosis or adhesions in the pelvis.
Especially attentive to their feelings should be women who have already had episodes of miscarriage, as well as abortion, or ectopic pregnancy.
- Previously conducted artificial abortions or curettage of the uterus.
- Contact sexually transmitted infections, hormonal disruptions, diseases of the hematopoietic system and the cardiovascular apparatus.
- Strong stress, depression, neurosis.
- Great physical exertion, carrying weights, injuries, falls, tremors.
- The presence of unhealthy habits (drinking, smoking, taking medication).
- Rhesus (-) blood.
- Endometriosis, adhesions.
- Multiple pregnancy.
Since there may be several reasons for the appearance of pulling sensations in the lower abdomen at week 5, it is important to contact the gynecology department in time to save the child.
- Increased uterine tone – a sharp reduction in its muscle layer, which can cause miscarriage. It is very dangerous if the pulling sensations are accompanied by pain or pass into them, if there are additionally detected secretions from the genital tract. With the above symptoms, contact with doctors should be immediate.
- The pulling sensations in the lower abdominal segment at about 5 weeks, which are accompanied by a small discharge of blood from the genital slit, as well as digestive disorders (nausea – to vomiting, dyspepsia) may be due to an approaching miscarriage or frozen fetal development. In such a case, a visit to the doctor should also not be delayed.
- Inflammations of the reproductive organs, congenital malformations of the genital sphere, infectious diseases that are transmitted through sexual contact – such factors can also cause pulling discomfort in the lower abdomen. To clarify the cause of discomfort, you must pass the appropriate diagnosis. This must be done – many diseases can further prevent the normal development of pregnancy, or cause various problems during childbirth.
- When ectopic pregnancy situation when pulling the lower abdomen – not uncommon. After all, the fertilized egg, fixed and developing outside the uterine cavity, causes stretching of the muscles and ligaments of other organs – appendages, tubes, and organs of the small pelvis. The described condition is considered truly dangerous and requires immediate surgical intervention.
Despite the long list of possible negative factors for the appearance of unpleasant pulling symptoms in the lower abdomen, one should not go into panic. You just need to immediately contact the medical institution: a specialist will conduct the necessary examination and accurately indicate the cause of this phenomenon. It is quite possible that there is absolutely no cause for concern.
Symptoms of abdominal pain in the 5th week of pregnancy
Physiological pulling sensations in the lower segment of the abdomen, if they are not caused by any pathology, often manifest themselves, without being accompanied by other symptoms. Only some pregnant women may have a slight back pain, fatigue, drowsiness.
Often, just at the fifth week of pregnancy, early toxicosis begins, which can also occur with pulling sensations in the lower abdomen, as well as with other characteristic signs:
- nausea, morning vomiting;
- increased salivation;
- change in body weight;
- loss of appetite;
- lower blood pressure;
- increased heart rate;
If the pulling sensations in the lower abdomen are a symptom of pathology, then at the same time you can notice other characteristic first signs:
- bleeding from the genitals;
- menstrual bleeding;
- abdominal pain (as with menstruation);
- back pain;
- dizziness, weakness in the legs.
If a pregnant woman finds similar symptoms in herself, then she needs to contact a gynecologist as a matter of urgency. The same applies to cases of severe toxemia: for example, abundant and frequent vomiting is also considered a significant reason for an urgent visit to the doctor.
Complications and consequences
If you believe the statistics, then most pregnant women pull the lower abdomen at 5 weeks – and this is explained by ordinary physiology: such symptoms do not pose a threat, neither to the fetus, nor to the woman herself.
But it must be remembered that this is not always the case: discomfort can also be associated with pathological changes in the body. The consequences of such changes can be:
- spontaneous abortion;
- stopping the development of the ovum (fading of pregnancy);
- ectopic pregnancy
The first two consequences are most often diagnosed during this period – in the fifth or sixth week of pregnancy; therefore, this time many experts call critical.
As for ectopic pregnancy, then it will not be possible to correct this condition. However, a timely visit to the doctor will help to avoid much more serious complications, such as peritonitis – inflammation of the abdominal cavity.
Diagnosis of abdominal pain in the 5th week of pregnancy
In order to determine the reason why the lower abdomen is pulling at 5 weeks, complaints of a pregnant woman alone will not be enough for the doctor. For an adequate assessment of the situation, first of all, you need to pass tests:
- general and biochemical blood test;
- general urine analysis.
Depending on the pathology, a change in the level of hemoglobin, leukocytes, as well as elevated hematocrit may be detected in the blood.
In the presence of metabolic disorders, there may be a change in the content of calcium and sodium in the blood, an increase in the level of urea, creatinine, AST and ALT.
In the urinary fluid, pathology reveals protein, ketone bodies and acetone.
Instrumental diagnostics are often limited to two types of studies that are considered the most informative and reveal a complete picture of the situation:
- ultrasound – usually carried out after 14 weeks of pregnancy, but according to the testimony of doctors do it before. For example, from the fifth to the sixth week, it is possible to predict the course of pregnancy, assess the fetal heartbeat and the location of the chorion. Ultrasound helps to timely see the ectopic location of pregnancy, diagnose missed abortion, and also assess the tone of the uterus;
- laparoscopy – during pregnancy, it is performed only for therapeutic and diagnostic purposes (for example, for appendicitis, ovarian torsion, cyst, malignant tumor, as well as for ectopic pregnancy).
What should be examined?
Pulling sensations turn into pains that are localized in the navel, gradually moving to the right iliac region.
Pulling sensations can turn into pains extending into the rectum and external genitals. Often there are false urges to defecate. Rear vaginal fornix painful.
The pulling sensations are accompanied by bleeding from the genital slit. The tone of the uterus increased.
Pulling sensations quickly give way to sharp pains from the affected ovary.
Acute inflammation of the appendages
Pulling and soreness accompanied by fever. The appendages are painful on palpation.
Who to contact?
Treatment of lower abdominal pain in the 5th week of pregnancy
In the case of pulling sensations in the lower abdomen in the fifth week, treatment can be prescribed only if the cause of this condition requires it – for example, in case of a threatened miscarriage, or in early toxicosis.
If the lower abdomen pulls for physiological reasons, then treatment is not required.
If necessary, apply complex therapy, including medicines and auxiliary therapeutic measures (establishment of a sparing regimen, diet, physiotherapy, psychotherapy, etc.).
Establishing regime and changes in nutrition are important steps to prevent the threat of termination of pregnancy. For a woman in the fifth week of pregnancy, it is very important to have a full healthy sleep and good nutrition, no stress and fear, measured exercise, and often – sexual rest.
In some cases, a pregnant woman on the fifth week is recommended to contact a psychologist – the early stage of pregnancy is often accompanied by excessive emotional stress, feelings, phobias.
However, it also happens that medical treatment is indispensable. Depending on the causes of the lower abdomen, the doctor may recommend taking certain medications.
- Soothing preparations:
- motherwort in tablets (1 tab. 2-3 times per day);
- valerian tablets – extract of valerian, Valerian Forte, Dormiplant, Valdispert (1-2 tablets at night).
- Antispasmodic drugs:
- Medications such as Papaverine or No-shpa (the same Drotaverine) help to relax the myometrium and have a good effect on hypertonia of the uterus. Such drugs can be prescribed in the form of tablets or intramuscular injections, and papaverine is often used rectally in the form of suppositories (1 pc. Per night);
- Magnicum, Magne-B6 tablets also perfectly regulate uterine tone, normalize the work of the nervous system, and also help to get rid of night cramps. Any of these drugs can be taken on 1 tab. 2-4 times a day, as prescribed by the doctor.
- Hormonal agents (they are used only after assessing the level of hormones in the blood):
- Progesterone (Duphaston, Iprozhin, Prajisan, Utrogestan) – these drugs replace the main hormone in the female body, which ensures the preservation of pregnancy. Duphaston take 1 tab. once every eight hours, or according to an individual scheme chosen by a doctor. Utrogestan is taken in the amount of 100-200 mg daily. Both drugs are well tolerated by the body: only in some cases dyspepsia and changes in appetite are possible;
- glucocorticosteroid hormones (for example, Metipred or Dexamethasone) can be prescribed in individual quantities for immunity disorders or hyperandrogenism.
- Drugs to stop bleeding prescribed in the presence of bleeding. Such drugs include Askorutin, vitamin K, Ditsinon – they reduce vascular permeability, improve capillary circulation, affect the processes of blood clotting.
- Vitamins are prescribed not only for the prevention of the threat of miscarriage, but also for the normal development of pregnancy and the fetus. In addition to the above-mentioned Magnicum (or Magne-B6), doctors often prescribe tocopherol (Vit. E), folic acid, other B vitamins, as well as complex drugs for pregnant women – Vitrum prenatal, Elevit pronatal, etc.
Physiotherapy can be prescribed by the doctor as an auxiliary non-drug therapy:
- Electroanalgesia method – soothes and eliminates small pulling soreness in the lower abdomen.
- Magnesium electrophoresis – helps relax the myometrium, normalizes uterine tone.
- Reflex electro-relaxation is a technique of reflex muscle relaxation, which contributes to the rapid removal of hyper tone.
- The method of hyperbaric oxygenation involves the use of oxygen in special chambers. The method improves blood circulation, eliminates tissue hypoxia, helps to remove toxic substances from the body.
- Acupuncture and reflexology are procedures that help not only stabilize uterine tone, but also normalize blood pressure, reduce psycho-emotional stress, and improve sleep.
If the lower abdomen pulls up at 5 weeks of gestation, then in the initial stages, ordinary folk methods can help, which can be divided into two categories: what can not and what should be done in such a situation.
- Not recommended:
- use black tea and coffee, as well as soda;
- eat black chocolate;
- use dishes from cabbage, peas, beans (this can increase the tone of the uterus);
- use products with chemical additives;
- go to the steam room or sauna;
- follow any diet for weight loss;
- take a hot shower or bath;
- soar legs;
- lift heavy objects (more than three kilograms);
- worry, quarrel;
- ride a bike and other means of transport;
- smoke, drink alcohol.
- Need to:
- more rest, walk, sleep;
- listen to classical or other light music;
- eat vegetable food, white meat, drink fresh juices or compotes.
For the normal course of pregnancy, many experts recommend inhaling the aroma of calming and relaxing herbs – for example, mint, thyme, lemon balm, valerian root or hop cones. This will help calm down and tune in to the positive.
During pregnancy, including in cases where the lower abdomen pulls, herbs are taken very carefully and only on the recommendation of the doctor. For abdominal discomfort, the following herbal recipes may be relevant:
- Five grams of dandelion rhizomes pour 200 ml of water and boil for five minutes. Drink 50 ml in the morning, before lunch and before bedtime.
- One teaspoon of ground viburnum bark pour 200 ml of water and boil for 5 minutes. Drink 2 tablespoons three times a day.
- Thirty grams of viburnum color fall asleep in a thermos and pour boiling water, leave for 2 hours to infuse. Drink 50 ml before breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Prepare a mixture of 10 g of Hypericum herb and 10 g of calendula, pour 400 ml of boiling water, insist 30 minutes under the lid. The resulting amount of drink is drunk per day, adding honey to taste.
You can get rid of the lower abdomen at week 5 with the help of homeopathic remedies, which are represented by many effective drugs. For example, the discomfort associated with early toxicosis at the fifth week of pregnancy can be eliminated with the help of Sepia, Ipecacuanus, Lacticum Acidum and Kokkulus Indus, as well as Kolhikum.
Any of these homeopathic medicines are taken three times a day before the onset of sustained improvement. If, after the end of the medication, the pulling sensations are resumed, the treatment is allowed to be repeated.
If the lower abdomen pulls up at 5 weeks, and this is associated with the threat of miscarriage, then homeopathic medicines are taken 4 times a day until the normalization of pregnancy. If a woman already had cases of miscarriage, then homeopathy should be taken three times a day, from the very beginning of the pregnancy until about the sixteenth week.
When threatened miscarriage are the most effective such means:
- Aconite – will help with the threat caused by stress;
- Arnica – eliminate hypertonus associated with a fall or injury;
- Belladonna – can be used to eliminate bloody discharge, painful pulling sensations in the abdomen and back;
- Sabina – is prescribed for severe bleeding and acute painful sensations in the lower abdomen;
- Viburnum – is used in case of a threatened spontaneous abortion.
If the lower abdomen pulls in week 5, then the operation is performed only in emergency cases:
- with ectopic pregnancy;
- with cysts and other neoplasms requiring urgent surgical intervention.
Usually, such operations are performed by laparoscopy – a sparing intervention, which involves minimal tissue damage and a quick period of subsequent recovery.
In pregnancy, laparoscopic surgery is performed relatively frequently. However, if possible, they are set aside for the second trimester, when the basic processes of laying the organs of the future child are coming to an end.
If a laparoscopy is prescribed to a pregnant woman, then it is very important during surgery to correctly select the means for anesthesia and accurately calculate its quantity so as not to harm the fetus. The risk of early and premature labor during laparoscopy is reduced to a minimum, so you should not worry about the further normal course of pregnancy.
Warning measures about the appearance of pulling and uncomfortable sensations in the abdomen during pregnancy should be considered during the planning period, or at the moment when a woman becomes aware of her “situation”.
So, the discomfort in the lower abdomen can be prevented if you follow simple medical recommendations:
- you must visit a gynecologist at the first sign of pregnancy – for example, after the test;
- be sure to follow all the advice of the doctor;
- immediately after the onset of pregnancy, it is necessary to give up smoking and drinking alcohol-containing beverages (and even better to do this much earlier);
- whenever possible, stressful situations, scandals, mental and physical hyperloads should be avoided;
- it is desirable to rest more, to fully sleep, walk, breathe fresh air;
- it is necessary to refuse any limiting diets, food “dry ration”, semi-finished products and harmful products;
- it is undesirable to travel long distances, especially – to fly a plane, ride on bad roads;
- You can not take any medications without the permission and appointment of the doctor;
- you should take care of your health: avoid possible accidental falls, avoid large crowds of people (especially during epidemics of influenza and colds).
Some women, mainly due to lack of experience or due to their inherent carelessness, ignore the moment when pulling the lower abdomen at 5 weeks of pregnancy. If you close your eyes to a similar symptom, you can skip the development of incurable complications – up to the loss of a child. Often there is a danger to the health of the woman. Therefore, at the first suspicious symptoms – if the lower abdomen pulls, or there are other negative signs – you should immediately contact the doctor who will answer any questions about your pregnancy. To ensure that the prognosis for the life and health of the unborn child is favorable, it is better to be safe and examined further.