Pulls the lower abdomen during pregnancy
Every pregnant woman periodically have some pain and discomfort. Sometimes pulling the lower abdomen. Future moms start to get nervous and make negative predictions, but it is worthwhile only to consult with a doctor when such pains occur and not to panic. So, let’s try to find out the causes of lower abdominal pain at different stages of pregnancy.
Pulling pain in the first trimester of pregnancy
Sometimes pulling pain in the lower abdomen at the beginning of pregnancy is not a cause for panic at all. In the earliest terms, such pains can mean implantation of a fertilized egg into the endometrium of the uterus (attachment of the fetus to the uterus). She is at this time stretched a little, taking an embryo in her bosom, therefore such pains arise. Some women say that sensations are more like discomfort than pain. By the way, if the reason for implantation, then such pain should not be regular. After all, the fertilized egg was attached, and the pain should disappear. When the pain is progressive or regular, does not stop for several days, this is a serious reason for seeking medical attention.
Pain in ectopic pregnancy
Often the above pain is a symptom of ectopic pregnancy. The embryo is implanted not into the uterus, but into the fallopian tube, where it begins to grow. Therefore, in the 5-6 week period there is a real threat of a pipe rupture. There are pains in the lower abdomen, they can increase. There is a headache, dizziness. Lower abdominal pain in this case is regular, and the occurring phenomenon can cause very heavy bleeding. It is important to immediately go to a health facility to save a woman’s life and quickly stop the bleeding.
Read also Pain in early pregnancy
Pain as a symptom of threatened pregnancy
Sometimes pulling pain in the lower abdomen occurs when threatened with miscarriage. Then they will be accompanied by other symptoms. This is a strong pain with reddish-brown discharge. They may be brown in color. With such additional symptoms, a visit to the doctor should be immediate. Most likely, a course of preserving therapy will follow. Do not refuse hospitalization! After all, the doctor must regularly monitor you, the state of the child.
Sometimes such pains occur due to hypertonicity of the uterus. They can not be ignored in any way, as they can also cause miscarriage. With proper treatment, most similar situations have a happy outcome.
If nagging pains and discharge begin in the late stages of pregnancy, then they can also be accompanied by contractions. This is precisely the threat of abortion. In this case, you need immediate medical intervention.
Late lower abdominal pain
When the baby grows and develops in the mother’s lap, the uterus stretches. The anterior abdominal wall is stretched, the pelvis expands. At the same time, the pains are periodical and last for about a week. By the way, doctors recommend at this time to attend special sports activities for expectant mothers. There, women are taught to strengthen the muscles that stretch due to the growth of the abdomen. At such classes, the muscles involved in childbirth are also trained.
Pulling pain in late pregnancy can be normal when it comes to the onset of labor. This may be training bouts. They pass quickly. Thus, the uterus begins to “warm up” and “train” before delivery. When such pains increase, when they are accompanied by dirty red discharge, you immediately need to go to the medical facility. After all, the state of a woman can turn into a critical one in a few minutes.
In later periods, the expectant mother should be ready for lower abdominal pain. Normally, they are harbingers of the imminent onset of labor. If the pregnancy is full-term, gather in the maternity hospital, when contractions become more frequent, and at the same time be calm and confident.
Pulls the lower abdomen during pregnancy
Pulling pain in the lower abdomen can occur in early pregnancy and in recent weeks. 99% of these unpleasant feelings are not dangerous for either the expectant mother or the baby in the womb. At the same time it is better to say about your problem to the gynecologist in the LCD, so that the specialist can provide timely assistance in case of need.
In many ways, the causes of unpleasant sensations in the abdomen depend on the period of pregnancy.
- Sometimes it happens that the nagging pain in the lower abdomen is the first sign of pregnancy. In this case, a woman may assume that this is another PMS (premenstrual syndrome). In most cases, this pain also includes a feeling of fatigue, nausea, headaches and discomfort in the chest glands, white mucous discharge from the genital tract. All because of the global restructuring of the body and changes in the hormonal background of the future mother.
- Around the end of the first trimester, the uterus begins to stretch, because the fetus and membranes are becoming more and more every day. Sprains that support the uterus can also lead to unpleasant pulling sensations in the lower abdomen along the entire perimeter, as well as right or left. The growing uterus also begins to put pressure on all the internal organs surrounding it, which leads to a feeling of heaviness and dull pain. Many women also note that most often this problem worries those women who had painful periods before conception. In this case, gynecologists do not confirm this assumption, indicating that these are just conjectures and accidents.
- In addition to the two previous reasons, the third joins in many cases. These are problems with the gastrointestinal tract. The hormone progesterone relaxes the uterus, and with it other smooth muscle organs (and the intestines too). Food is not digested on time and stagnation occurs, which leads to bloating, flatulence and pulling pain. As a rule, after bowel emptying, the problem ceases to excite a woman, but only for a while.
In the last weeks
- As in the beginning of the way of waiting for the baby, the first reason that causes dull pulling pain is the stretching of the muscles and ligaments supporting the uterus.
- Braxton-Hicks contractions. In this case, the discomfort appears periodically, they still join aching pain in the lower back.
- Preparing the uterus for childbirth. The abdomen is stoney and aching pain occurs, often before this a mucus plug comes off. This means only one thing: the end of the pregnancy period is very close.
Can I get rid of pain and discomfort?
It all depends on the cause, which causes aching and nagging pain in the lower abdomen.
- If these are the first signs of pregnancy, sprain, preparation of the uterus and the birth canal for childbirth, then you can lie on your left side and this will certainly lead to relief. Try to avoid heavy physical exertion, stress, and be sure to relax even after a normal walk. At the same time, moderate physical activity is simply necessary for a pregnant woman – remember this!
- If the problem with the gastrointestinal tract and you are often concerned about constipation, then in this case it is necessary to establish proper nutrition and maintain an active lifestyle. What does proper nutrition mean? Include in your diet fresh vegetables and fruits, dairy products (homemade yogurt will be especially useful – for example, Narine), try to avoid legumes, onions, black bread (they provoke bloating). What does an active lifestyle mean? Evening walk, light exercise for pregnant women 3-4 times a week, classes in the pool. At this stage, this will be more than enough.
IMPORTANT! Remember that it is imperative that you inform your doctor about your condition.
If there is bloody bleeding in addition to the pain syndrome, go to the hospital as soon as possible.
Any questions? You can ask them on FORUM
- What to do if in the late stages of pregnancy pulls the lower abdomen?
Any woman at the beginning of pregnancy sensitively listens to their feelings and changes in the body. Many of these changes are alarming, because before this there was no taste preferences, increased sensitivity to odors and other unfamiliar feelings? Of particular concern are pulling pains in the groin, lower back or lower abdomen, which appear at 3–4 weeks and quite often accompany pregnancy. When do you need to treat this normally, and when is it better to sound the alarm?
Physiological causes of abdominal pain during pregnancy
Abdominal pain can occur for two main reasons:
- Causes related to the development and condition of the fetus. This may be a state of threat (miscarriage or premature birth) that requires special attention and medical attention.
- Reasons that do not affect the situation and development of the child. These reasons are purely physiological and should not worry future mothers.
Agree, this division is very conditional, and a woman (if she is not a doctor) with pain will rather panic than understand the reasons, but in vain. Understanding this is not difficult if a woman knows her gestational age and is under outpatient medical supervision. In any case, if the pain is not cramping, and there is no discharge from the vagina, it is not necessary to sound the alarm and call the doctor.
Why is it important for a woman to know the gestational age when the lower abdomen pulls?
The fact is that the entire period of childbearing (39-40 weeks) is divided into three trimesters, and the appearance of pain in each of them can be a signal, both of physiological changes and pathology. Let’s start with the norm, since in most cases it is physiology that is “to blame” for the appearance of discomfort and pain.
Causes of pain in the lower abdomen, which do not require medical care, as they can be attributed to the physiological:
- Increase in size, circulating blood volume and weight of the uterus.
- Increased tension of the uterine ligaments, which support the uterus in limbo in the pelvis.
- Increased physical activity, which causes tension in the abdominal muscles and uterine ligaments.
- Poor bowel movement, flatulence and bloating.
- Stressful situations, nervous system disorder.
All these reasons, with the appearance of which pulls the stomach during pregnancy, are understandable and easily removable, because it is easy to limit physical exertion and adjust the work of the intestine. But there are other, more important reasons for which pulls the bottom and pain in the stomach. You need to know about them in order not to harm the future baby and yourself.
Under what pathology can there be nagging pains in the abdomen during pregnancy?
Pain can come from the growing uterus, and be the result of diseases of other organs. All the reasons, which are described below, are the reason for going to a general practitioner or gynecologist, as well as appropriate medical care and treatment. These include:
- Pulls the lower abdomen if there are problems with the gastrointestinal tract (chronic constipation, dysbiosis, helminthic invasion).
- Appendicitis or pancreatitis (acute or chronic).
- Pulls the lower abdomen, if there are chronic inflammatory conditions of the urogenital system (diseases of the lobes, bladder, urethra, vagina, ovaries and uterus).
- Ectopic pregnancy (3-5 weeks).
- Manifestations of miscarriage or premature birth.
- Placental abruption before birth.
How to distinguish causes that do not require intervention from others?
To do this, you need to listen to the nature of the pain, as well as carefully monitor other signs that may indicate the need to see a doctor. So let’s go in order:
- Abdominal pain is not permanent, but temporary, and gradually subsides, if you take a horizontal position and rest.
- The nature of pain pulling or dull, but not sharp and cramping.
- In addition to pain, there are no other symptoms of the stomach and intestines (upset stool, loss of appetite, vomiting, nausea).
- There is no discharge from the vagina (blood, blood, brownish mucus and others).
- The lower abdomen pulls, but after taking 1-2 tablets no-shpy or rectal suppositories with papaverine, the pain subsides and becomes less intense.
- Pain does not grow and do not become unbearable.
- Over time, pain does not join in the anus, in the lumbar region and when urinating (acute cystitis).
- In addition to pain, no urge to empty the bowel, fainting, lower blood pressure and increased heart rate (symptoms of rupture of the tube or ovary during ectopic pregnancy).
If you are already under the supervision of a doctor, it is enough to contact him in a planned manner and establish the cause of the pain. If you have not done this yet, you need to register as soon as possible, pass tests and seek advice, because the above reasons may worsen the condition of the mother and the unborn child.
Pain in early and late pregnancy – what to do?
In early pregnancy (up to 24–26 weeks), the most dangerous obstetric causes are the threat of abortion and the ectopic location of the ovum. It is equally important for a woman to save the child and prevent complications during ectopic pregnancy, therefore the symptoms of each of these dangerous conditions are described below. So, the symptoms of threatening miscarriage include:
- Pulling and constant pain in the lower abdomen and lower back, which are aggravated by movements and physical exertion.
- Spotting or bloody discharge
- General malaise, weakness, dizziness.
Symptoms of ectopic pregnancy include:
- Constant dull or sharp pains in the lower abdomen and in the back, which become sharp and stabbing when the pipe breaks.
- Nausea, weakness, sometimes vomiting, loss of appetite and other signs of pregnancy.
- Weak and rapid pulse, a sharp drop in blood pressure, fainting, pale skin (with a rupture of the pipe).
- Spotting of varying intensity, aggravated by cracking or rupture of the fallopian tube.
All these signs serve as a signal for referral to a specialist and emergency medical care.
What to do if in the late stages of pregnancy pulls the lower abdomen?
If the stomach pulls during pregnancy in the 3rd trimester, it is best not to delay, but to immediately contact a specialist and determine the cause of the pain.
This should be done even with the temporary and short-term nature of the pain, as the reasons may relate to the development of the fetus, as well as to the woman herself. Consider them in more detail:
- Normally, after 30 weeks, the body begins to gradually prepare for future birth. At this time, there is an active production of the hormone progesterone, which has a relaxing effect on smooth muscles. But smooth muscle fibers are not only in the uterus, they consist of the gallbladder, intestinal walls and other organs. A decrease in the activity of the gallbladder causes symptoms of indigestion, therefore, between 30–32 weeks pregnant women often complain of heaviness in the abdomen, belching, heartburn, bloating. To adjust this process, it is enough to revise the diet, in which it is better to introduce foods rich in coarse fiber, raw vegetables and fruits.
- Intensive growth of the fetus in the last weeks of pregnancy causes overdistension of the uterine ligaments. As a result, it pulls the lower abdomen, and sudden pains arise when you cough or sneeze. The further the pregnancy develops, the more intense the feeling that an overstrain is created in the lower abdomen. To eliminate this cause, it is useful for a pregnant woman to start attending classes in which there are special exercises. These include yoga, aqua aerobics, Pilates. This helps not only to remove the pain in the lower abdomen, but also to strengthen the rest of the muscles and it is easier to move the labor.
- If the lower abdomen pulls in between 37 and 38 weeks, it is most likely that these are harbingers of childbirth. At this time, it is important to observe the intensity and frequency of pulling pains, as well as the nature of the discharge. Usually precursors of labor can be for 7–10 days, which is the norm. If the pain does not increase and the discharge is normal, you need to calm down and wait for the onset of labor.
- If during a long period of time the lower abdomen pulls, and the abdomen itself becomes firm to the touch, then we can assume the threat of premature birth. Serious or blood smears that appear may aggravate this condition. Especially dangerous for the fetus are premature birth in the period 32-34 weeks, because at this time the child has not yet formed a pulmonary system. With increasing pain and the appearance of discharge, you need to immediately go to the preservation of pregnancy in the hospital!
- Acute and colicy pains in the abdomen in the later periods can be a signal of the placental abruption that has begun. The most common causes of this condition are injuries, a sharp overstrain during exercise or an increase in blood pressure. A rupture of the vessel inside the uterus can cause not only pain and deterioration of the woman’s condition, but also fetal hypoxia. As a rule, such women begins and external bleeding from the vagina, which is the reason for hospitalization and urgent surgical intervention (cesarean section).
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons for which the lower abdomen is pregnant, especially in the later periods. If a woman listens attentively to the nature of the pain, then she will be able not only to easily establish the cause, but also in the event of complications, consult a specialist in time.