Every modern woman tries to follow not only the beauty of her face, but also her body, to keep it in shape and tone. Even the simplest aerobics will help strengthen blood vessels, improve blood circulation and the general condition of the body. But, with the onset of pregnancy, women have to limit themselves in many respects, refusing, including, from serious physical exertion. Pilates for pregnant women – a great alternative to conventional aerobics or fitness. Can pregnant women do pilates? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of sports for this particular condition? Our article will be devoted to this.
Pilates for pregnant women
The method of training in a pitala for pregnant women differs significantly from the usual pattern of classes. Such exercises are designed specifically for future mothers and are carried out without sudden movements, jumps and increased stress on the body.
Pilates for pregnant women is not just a system of exercises, but also a way to achieve harmony of body and soul.
This type of fitness helps pregnant women to keep fit, strengthen and tone the weakened muscles of the pelvis and abdominals, learn proper breathing, self-management, and also receive a lot of positive emotions. Pilates during pregnancy has a beneficial effect on the respiratory system, improves the flexibility of the joints and the spine.
The benefits of pilates during pregnancy:
- Relaxation of the spinal muscles and reduction of pain in this area.
- Smooth and slow exercises contribute to optimal preparation of the muscles of the pelvis and abdomen for the upcoming labor.
- It improves blood circulation in the lower limbs, which prevents the development of varicose veins.
- Accelerated metabolic processes in the intestine.
- Remains correct posture.
- Group classes have a beneficial effect on the emotional and psychological state of pregnant women. Regular pilates training prevents the development of depression, nerves and stress.
- Respiratory gymnastics is one of the most important pilates techniques, and learning how to breathe properly before giving birth is very important for pregnant women.
- During pregnancy, women shift their center of gravity. Pilates exercises help to normalize coordination.
- In the last three months of pregnancy exercises contribute to the correct location of the fetus.
In addition to the benefits of modern gymnastics for future mothers, like any other types of sports exercises, has some contraindications. Pilates during pregnancy are not allowed to women:
- having diseases of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems;
- if there is a threat of miscarriage;
- at a low location of the placenta;
- in severe pregnancy, which is accompanied by toxicosis, swelling and too sudden weight gain;
- if there are acquired during the period of pregnancy or genetically incorporated problems with the spine and joints.
Before the start of pilates classes, the future mother simply needs to consult with her doctor, especially if she had not previously exercised. An experienced coach will select the individual load and will carefully monitor its growth. As a result of this approach, classes will greatly benefit the expectant mother.
Features of the class
1 trimester of pregnancy, just the period when you can begin to master the technique of exercise. During classes, a pregnant woman should fully analyze the sensations with each movement. However, there should be no discomfort after exercise or pain in the muscles. Any discomfort after class suggests that the workout must be stopped.
All movements using power loads, holding the breath and jumping are completely eliminated.
It is strictly forbidden to lie down on your stomach during class, even in early pregnancy.
With extreme caution you need to approach the movements of the load of the muscle tissue of the abdomen and joints, as well as movements to maintain balance.
Pilates for pregnant women are smooth, slow and moderate movements without intensive loads.
The training schedule for each woman is calculated individually. In general, three classes per week is enough to eliminate the risk of stress on the body and at the same time get the maximum benefit from these excellent physical therapy activities.
For pregnant women who have previously played sports, the method of exercise in the first trimester is slightly different than that of expectant mothers who do not have sports training at all. A gradual reduction in load is carried out in the second trimester.
For safety, pilates classes are recommended to be conducted under the supervision of a trainer in the gym, since in the first trimester the pregnancy is unstable and the slightest increase in load can cause miscarriage.
Exercises for 1 trimester
At the initial stage of training a woman should monitor her condition and well-being by performing the following exercises:
- Gymnastics to develop proper breathing. Stand on the foot, put the lower limbs shoulder-width apart, arms lowered. Perform rhythmic inhale-exhale separately – first chest, then the abdominal area. During inhalation, you need to stretch out to its full height.
- Warm up for the cervical. Make alternate tilts of the head: first left, then right, forward and backward. After that, you need to make rotating movements of the head without throwing. When performing this exercise, the shoulders should remain motionless.
- Extend your arms to the sides along with shoulders, taking a deep breath. On the exhale, return to the original position. This exercise is for the lungs.
- Lean on your knees and palms. When inhaling, raise your left arm and hold it at body level, straighten your left leg, pulling back. Do the same thing with your right hand and foot.
- Exercise “cat”. Take a deep breath, slightly bending the back, on the exhale, round the back, raising the spine to the top of the mountain, return to the starting position.
- Crouch on a mat for yoga or fitness. Dissolve the lower limbs and arms on the sides, keeping an even posture. Make smooth corners of the case, first left, then right.
- For relaxation, the following action is necessary: from resting on your knees and palms, you should sit on the heels, lowering the body to the bottom. At the same time, the spinal muscles should be as relaxed as possible, and the arms should be extended forward. Knees should be diluted as much as possible to eliminate the risk of pressure on the stomach.
A more detailed set of exercises in the video tutorial.
Exercises for 2 trimesters
At this stage of pregnancy, the same technique is used as in the first trimester. Specific exercises are added to the original scheme that help the future baby take the correct position before the birth.
To correct a pelvic presentation, you must:
- stand posture, kneeling and elbows, for fifteen minutes;
- lie down on each side for ten minutes, gently turning from one side to the other through the stomach.
To correct transverse presentation, a different exercise pattern is required:
- it is necessary to lie on the opposite side of the baby’s head and bend, repeating the position of the embryo, while the knees do not need to be brought close to the chest;
- taking a deep breath, roll over the back and lie on the other side, with the leg on which you need to straighten.
It is worth remembering that a unique set of Pilates exercises for pregnant women does not contribute to dropping extra pounds and losing weight. This technique is aimed at improving the general condition of women during pregnancy, stimulating the metabolic processes in her body and preparing for labor.
In the third trimester from active work should be kept. If you have extensive experience training before pregnancy, use the following complex.
Pilates classes during pregnancy require compliance with some very important recommendations:
- classes can begin no earlier than one hour after meals;
- all exercises must be performed slowly, smoothly and without sudden movements;
- exercise with the initial position on the back should be completely excluded from the general program of classes;
- in order to eliminate the risk of hypothermia, training is recommended to be performed on a gymnastic mat or mat;
- as much as possible to eliminate the load on the joints during classes;
- slow pleasant music during workouts promotes good mood and calm;
- in order to eliminate the risk of a high load on the body, it is necessary to perform relax actions between exercises.