Nazivin is a vasoconstrictor drug, produced in the form of drops or spray, able to quickly and effectively relieve swelling and nasal congestion. The main active ingredient is oxymetazoline. Usually Nazivin prescribed for any rhinitis, including allergic.
Features of the drug
The drug has several varieties, for example, there is a children’s Nazivin, as well as Nazivin Sensitive. The composition of the latter was glycerol, which helps to avoid drying out of the nasal mucosa and other unpleasant sensations when using drops.
For children, the most convenient form of the spray, as it allows to avoid overdose.
Nazivin is valid for up to 12 hours, after which you can repeat the injection, but overdose should be avoided so as not to increase the edema and cause an allergic reaction. Long-term effect of the drug can be used only 2 times a day: morning and evening.
It is not recommended to use the drug in the atrophic form of rhinitis.
In this disease, the nasal mucosa becomes thinner, it becomes more dense, crusts form in the nose, and nose bleeding becomes more frequent. Such rhinitis requires a special approach, the effect of vasoconstrictor drops can be harmful.
Angle-closure glaucoma is also a contraindication. Glaucoma is an eye disease in which fluid circulation is disturbed, intraocular pressure increases, and as a result, blindness may occur. With a closed-angle form, the drainage system is disturbed, that is, the fluid accumulates and has no outflow. At the same time, the effect of vasoconstrictor drops may aggravate the situation, disrupting even more fluid outflow.
Side effects include dry nose, sneezing, hyperemia, nausea, headache, insomnia, fatigue. However, subject to the dosage prescribed in the instructions, side effects are minimized. It is believed that Nazivin does not have a systemic effect and causes hyperemia very rarely (increased edema due to blood-filled vessels).
Can Nazivin be used during pregnancy?
Nazivin during pregnancy is used, but only on prescription. Some doctors hold that point of view, but Nazivin is absolutely contraindicated for pregnant and lactating mothers because of oxymetazoline, which narrows the blood vessels, which can also affect the placenta. There is another opinion.
As you know, pregnant women suffer from rhinitis very often. It can be a cold or rhinitis of pregnant women, the only important thing is that the expectant mother suffers from the fact that she has difficulty breathing. She cannot normally eat, sleep, and feels unwell when she has a stuffy nose. This is undoubted stress to the body. Leaving a woman in this state because of the possible side effects of drops, not all doctors consider it necessary. The child suffers no less than the mother from the lack of oxygen, which can not be dangerous. For this reason, by comparing the pros and cons, the doctor may recommend Nazivin to the woman.
To reduce the negative effect of oxymetazoline, the drops may have a reduced concentration of the drug, for example, Children’s Nazivin.
Gynecologists try not to write Nazivin:
- In the first trimester of pregnancy, when the placenta has not yet formed, and the risk of side effects is somewhat higher. A woman may be advised to use traditional medicine (only safe, non-allergenic and recommended by a doctor) or lighter medications. However, if nothing helps, the pregnant woman still cannot breathe normally, is allowed to use Nazivin, but not for long and in a strictly prescribed dosage.
- In the second and third trimester, the rules are not so strict, but the dosage is still strictly prohibited to break. Nazivin is prescribed by a doctor if necessary, if a woman has not previously experienced any allergic reactions or addiction.
When taking Nazivina pregnant should carefully monitor their condition, to note all the changes and the possible manifestation of side effects. In case of complications, the doctor may prescribe another drug.
Instructions for use during pregnancy
Dosage of the drug during pregnancy
If, nevertheless, not to do without drops, it is important to use the drug correctly, without violating the instructions of the doctor.
The first thing you need to know – no vasoconstrictor drops can not be used for a long time. This applies to all but pregnant women in particular.
Features of the treatment of nasal congestion with Nazivin:
- Usually Nazivin is prescribed for 3, at best, 5 days.
- You can bury 1-2 drops in each nasal passage 2-3 times a day.
- It is better to choose Nazivin for children under one year old with the lowest concentration of oxymetazoline.
- It is advisable not to bury the drug more often than every 8 hours.
Do not forget that the treatment of acute respiratory viral infections is not limited to drops. To get rid of rhinitis, you need to cure the cause. If the doctor prescribed antiviral drugs or something else, you need to take them.
A pregnant woman should carefully observe the dosage, but even if all the rules are followed, you must follow the signs of overdose. These include:
- Severe swelling
- Constricted pupils
- Respiratory disorder
- Various central nervous system disorders
- High blood pressure
At the first sign of an overdose, a woman should stop taking the drops and immediately call a doctor or call an ambulance.
More information about the cold during pregnancy can be found in the video.
Do not take drops longer than the allotted time. Even if it seems to a pregnant woman that she drips them every other day or once a week, which is not often at all, the nasal mucosa becomes thinner from constantly using vasoconstrictor drugs, the walls of the vessels become thin and fragile, which leads to frequent nosebleeds.
It is not recommended to use Nazivin simultaneously with other drugs that narrow vessels. This increases the risk of side effects.
It is best to use drops and sprays only when the nose is really not breathing and it is difficult for a woman to sleep. With a little stuck on the use of Nazivin recommended to refrain. If the pregnant woman knows that at night her nose periodically swells, you do not need to drip the drug in advance. As soon as the disease subsides, relief of symptoms will begin, it is advisable not to drop the drops at all. The earlier a pregnant woman stops using vasoconstrictor drugs, the better.
What can replace Nazivin with a cold during pregnancy?
There are several options for safe and effective replacement:
- If a runny nose in a pregnant woman appears sporadically or increases from time to time, it is best to use drops of a not so long action. For example, a child Nazol or Tizin Xylo. They operate in adults about 4-5 hours.
- You can try to just flush the nose instead of vasoconstrictor drugs. To do this, go ordinary water with salt or special drops like Aquamaris. Instantly, they will not remove the swelling, but they will ease the symptoms, stop the discharge of mucus from the nose, and also speed up recovery.
- You can replace Nazivin with drops of herbs, for example, Pinosol. It includes eucalyptus. These drops do not dry the mucous, but can cause allergies and increase swelling. Therefore it is necessary to apply them with caution.
- To remove the swelling without drops will help some rules. For example, you need to refuse blowing your nose. It is enough to wipe your nose gently with a handkerchief or blow your nose slightly. With a strong blowing of the nose, the vessels experience a lot of pressure, the mucous membrane begins to swell even more.
- Pregnant women are sometimes recommended to take Grippferon drops. They do not have a vasoconstrictor effect, but help to destroy the virus and speed up recovery.
- Well help to cope with a runny nose and edema inhalation with essential oils of menthol and tea tree.
- Inhalation with saline and chamomile decoction will help moisturize the mucous membrane, reduce inflammation.
How effective these tools are and whether Nazivin can be replaced by them can only be understood by looking at each case in more detail. The reaction of the body to a particular medicine may be different. It is very important to consult a doctor.