Can there be monthly after pregnancy?
According to female physiology, the period and the expectation of a child are absolutely incompatible concepts. The menstrual cycle can be divided into three important periods: before the onset of ovulation (follicular), directly ovulation and the time after it and before the start of menstruation (lutein). In the first half of the cycle, the endometrium grows on the walls of the uterus. If the ovule does not fertilize when ovulation occurs, the endometrium begins to exfoliate and, together with blood, comes out at the end of the cycle. This cycle is repeated every month.
If fertilization occurs during ovulation, the fertilized egg descends through the fallopian tube into the uterus, where it is implanted into its cavity. From this point on, the level of the hormone progesterone increases in the female body. It does not allow the layer of the endometrium to be rejected, but, on the contrary, strengthens it for additional protection of the unborn child. Therefore, periods during pregnancy are absent.
Causes of bleeding in early pregnancy
In the early stages of discharge from the vagina with an admixture of blood may be similar to menstruation. A pregnant woman may have the idea that it is most likely monthly during pregnancy. However, these secretions are called bleeding. Such a phenomenon occurs quite often and can not be called safe.
Discharge from the blood during pregnancy due to the following reasons:
- the threat of termination of pregnancy;
- missed abortion;
- ectopic pregnancy.
With the threat of miscarriage, a woman has a dark scanty discharge. They are accompanied, as a rule, pulling pain in the lower abdomen. This phenomenon may occur due to immune disorders in the female body, due to which the embryo is perceived as a foreign body. Mother’s body tries to get rid of it.
Freezing pregnancy may not manifest itself for a long time. But a minor dark discharge, a softening of the mammary glands and a sharp pain in the stomach can reveal the problem. This phenomenon occurs due to congenital abnormalities in the development of the embryo, increased uterine tone or genetic pathologies.
When ectopic pregnancy also occurs pain, localized at the site of implantation of the ovum. The pain increases with changing body position and physical activity. At the same time there is a small dark bleeding. Strong and prolonged discharge with an admixture of blood may indicate the most favorable outcome of ectopic pregnancy – spontaneous exfoliation of the ovum.
Ectopic and frozen pregnancies require urgent surgical intervention.
Any of the above is very dangerous for women’s health. If the condition of the pregnant woman deteriorates, you should immediately seek medical help. In addition to severe pain, a woman may notice a rise in body temperature, headaches and dizziness, nausea and vomiting, weakness, and an increase in heart rate.
When monthly during pregnancy are not dangerous?
As a rule, any bleeding in early pregnancy is a pathology, but there are still cases where you do not need to beat the alarm. Sometimes at a short period of pregnancy can go monthly in the early stages for the following reasons that do not pose a threat to mother and baby:
- implantation of the ovum;
- feature of the structure of the uterus;
- fertilization just before menstruation;
- hormonal disorders;
- the release of two eggs in one cycle, one of which was fertilized;
- increased blood flow to the pelvic organs .;
- endometriosis and benign tumors of the endometrium and myometrium.
Sometimes a small bleeding occurs at the time of implantation of the ovum. But it is a scant bloody discharge that a woman can take as a period during pregnancy. They are caused by damage to the uterus vessels when the embryo is attached. But most often this moment is not accompanied by the release of blood, so most women do not notice it.
In a two-horned uterus, the ovum is implanted in one part of it, and the second continues to menstruate for a while. In a two-horned uterus, the ovum is implanted in one part of it, and the second continues to menstruate for a while. This is exactly the option when the conception occurred and at the same time can go monthly during pregnancy. Of course, these periods during pregnancy are not the norm, but in practice a very small number of women are found with a similar pathology.
Doctors do not exclude the possibility of becoming pregnant even during menstruation. In fact, this is also before the onset of menstruation, when late ovulation occurs. In this case, menstruation will begin as planned. A fertilized egg is implanted in the uterine wall in rare cases for two weeks. In this case, the hormonal background does not have time to rebuild, and the planned menstruation begins.
Because of this, sometimes a woman simply incorrectly determines the duration of pregnancy. For example, if unprotected sexual intercourse was in the past cycle, a planned menstruation took place, there was no more intimacy, and after a while the woman finds out that she is pregnant. She thinks that her periods were after pregnancy. But in fact, the beginning of pregnancy is not the moment of conception, but the time of implantation of the ovum. In this case, a logical explanation of the past menstruation is visible – late ovulation, when fertilization occurred in a cycle with an unprotected act, but the egg has not yet been implanted in the uterus.
Disruption of hormonal levels may be due to a lack of progesterone or an excess of androgens in the female body. In this case, long brown secretions that do not pose a hazard may appear. The problem is solved by taking hormonal drugs. A woman for several months may not know what is waiting for a child. Such a phenomenon is dangerous because it leads a habitual way of life: it takes medications incompatible with pregnancy, is under stress, heavy loads, does not get rid of bad habits.
It also happens that in both ovaries at the same time matures on the egg. Only one of them is fertilized, and the second comes out of the body along with menstruation.
During pregnancy, blood flow to the pelvic organs increases, so a woman can observe minor bleeding after intercourse or examination by a gynecologist. This happens because of damage to the uterine lining and, as a rule, does not pose any threat to the child.
During pregnancy, diseases such as endometriosis, myoma, cyst, fibromyoma, or polyp can also trigger discharge that is similar to menstruation during pregnancy.
How to distinguish spotting from the usual monthly
From the physiological side, the rejection of the uterine lining, into which the fertilized egg is implanted, threatens the life of the embryo during pregnancy. Therefore, doctors any bleeding in nature during pregnancy is called bleeding.
Many bleedings do not carry a threat to the life of the mother and the future baby, but it is important for the woman to listen to her feelings. If menstruation at an early period is due to a hormonal shift, while the expectant mother feels well and has no pain, then nothing bad will likely happen.
With particular attention should be paid to heavy bleeding, too dark color or watery discharge. Especially if these phenomena are accompanied by acute pain. It is these symptoms that indicate a threatened miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy, or an inflammatory process.
When a woman does not yet know about her interesting position, the following phenomena should alert her:
- change in the duration of menstruation;
- unusually scanty or, conversely, copious periods;
- no signs of premenstrual syndrome, swelling of the mammary glands does not pass after the end of menstruation;
- the release of blood in the middle of the cycle.
If these phenomena are accompanied by acute pain and poor health, then you should not postpone the visit to a doctor. If you suspect a pregnancy, you must do a test or a blood test for hCG. Pregnancy is diagnosed on the smallest terms and with the help of ultrasound.
What are dangerous monthly during pregnancy
- If bleeding of any kind occurs during pregnancy, a woman needs to soberly assess the situation. As a rule, bleeding, commensurate in duration and intensity with menstruation, causes the loss of a child. Refer to such adverse events and bleeding, accompanied by severe cramping pain.
- Spotting scanty character, which are sometimes regular, as a rule, do not threaten the life of the unborn child, but in any case, the woman needs a gynecologist’s consultation. There are, of course, isolated cases where a woman’s menstruation occurs throughout the entire period, and pregnancy ends with the birth of a healthy baby.
- Such phenomena are exceptions to the rules. There is a similar due to the preservation of the body every month hormonal background, prior to the onset of pregnancy. Moreover, this condition is critical for carrying a baby.
- In the earliest gestational period, single menstruation is acceptable for the reasons given earlier. But even so, a woman should appreciate her state of health and nature of discharge. If you feel unwell, you should seek emergency medical care. Acute pain and bright red discharge of an intense nature are the reason for immediate hospitalization. With the threat of miscarriage, women are prescribed hormonal drugs, treatment of diseases and long-term therapy for the preservation of the fetus.
If the pregnancy test and the level of hCG in the blood already show pregnancy, then bleeding of any nature should be considered as a deviation and become a reason for seeking medical help.
What is important to know about monthly during pregnancy
The expectant mother should know the following important points related to bleeding during pregnancy:
- In the earliest stages of an interesting situation, a woman often faces bleeding, which is the norm, but usually differs from menstruation. If the discharge with an admixture of blood has appeared for a period of more than 12 weeks, you should immediately consult a doctor.
- Bleeding during pregnancy, comparable to menstruation during pregnancy, is usually a pathology that threatens the life of the mother and baby.
- With the smallest amount of blood, it is best to consult with a gynecologist and find out its cause.
- Excessive and prolonged bleeding, especially with the presence of abdominal pain, usually speaks of spontaneous abortion.
- Prolonged menstrual bleeding due to the woman’s well-being and normal fetal development are rarely associated with the unwillingness of the future mother’s body to change the hormonal regime.
- After taking birth control pills, the female body needs time to adjust to the natural hormones. During this period, even with the onset of pregnancy, there may be a false menstruation occurring on time, corresponding to the beginning of menstruation.
A pregnant woman should regularly visit her doctor, take all tests and listen carefully to her body. An optimistic attitude will benefit both the expectant mother and the baby.