Children really grow up very quickly. Just yesterday, when you brought a newborn baby from the maternity hospital, you didn’t even think that today a little one year old man will run around your apartment. Of course, you’re worried about whether your child is developing properly, whether it’s acquiring the necessary skills in time.
By monitoring the development of a child for months to a year and verifying it with the recommendations of pediatricians, neurologists and psychologists, you do not miss anything and can detect and correct possible deviations in time.
To keep in mind the moments of growing up, get a special notebook in which you will describe the child’s development by months to 1 year.
A table indicating the time of appearance of a particular skill will be interesting not only for you, but also for your grown-up child in the future.
The first month
The first month of a newborn’s life is also called the adaptation period. The child learns to live outside the usual environment – a warm maternal tummy. At this time, crumb:
- sleeps a lot – up to 20 hours a day,
- eats a lot (read more on this in the article breastfeeding>>>).
The task of the next of kin is to place the child in comfortable conditions: do not overheat and do not overcool. About this in the article the temperature in the room for a newborn>>>, time to change diapers and feed.
Of course, it is important to give your love to the crumbs: to wear on handles, to talk, to sing songs.
By the age of one month, the child is already paying attention to the bright toys and can follow them with his eyes and turning his head. The article provides information on when a newborn begins to see>>> The first color that newborns see is red.
On a note! Such an exercise would be very useful: take a bright, better red, toy, and drive 30 cm from the child’s face from left to right, from bottom to top. Monthly baby can already monitor the movements of the toy.
In a month, the child is already turning the head on the sound. Find out when a newborn starts to hear>>> You can check it by rattling the rattle to the left and right of the baby.
In the first month of life, the child retains some innate reflexes of the newborn, which will completely disappear by the fourth month of life:
- sucking reflex (can suck objects in the mouth);
- swimming (if you drop the baby in the water with your belly down, the child will make movements resembling swimming);
- grasping (if you touch the palm, the child will squeeze the cam);
- search reflex (if you touch the cheek, looking for the mother’s breast);
- reflex steps – if you put the child on his legs (while holding), he can “walk”.
If you put the child on his stomach, he will try to slightly raise the head; trains his neck, back and shoulders.
Physically developed children to the age of one month are already beginning to hold the head.
And also in my video tutorial:
The second month of child development is sometimes referred to as the “month of recovery”. Your baby is now less asleep, can stay up to 50 minutes.
A child’s eyesight and hearing are improved, the crumb is able to examine objects from a distance of 30 centimeters to half a meter. About 15 minutes, the baby can spend in his crib, looking at the mobile or other toys.
- At the age of two months, children are already lifting the head and for some time holding it upright.
- Some babies already know how to roll from barrel to back. Learn more about when a child starts rolling over.>>>
- A child studies his hands – he can bring his fists to his mouth and suck on them;
- The infant reflexes are still preserved, but are beginning to fade;
- The emotional sphere is also developing. In two months, the so-called “revitalization complex” is being formed. This skill takes pride of place in the child’s development table; this is one of the most important milestones up to a year, confirming the normal functioning of the nervous system;
- The kid can already recognize his parents, he rejoices. When you are leaning over the bed, the crumb begins to quickly pull the arms and legs;
- In the second month of life, your child is likely to give you his first conscious smile. If this does not happen, do not worry; it means that this joyful event will happen a little later. Find out when a child starts to smile>>>
- At two months, the child knows how to roar – makes singing vowels, sometimes it can even pronounce “aha”, “aha”, “abu”. Children like their own “speech”, they listen to it with pleasure. The article provides information on when the crumb begins to fuck.>>>
Communicate with your child more often, sing to him, you will see that a crumb will sing along with you!
Read more about this age also in the article that a child in 2 months should be able to>>>, and, of course, look in my video tutorial:
During the month the physical, mental, emotional skills of your baby continue to improve.
- The child can keep his head better and better;
- Being on the stomach, the baby rises to the forearms and can look around at everything;
- By the third month of life, the fists are being straightened, the crumb already knows how to take a rattle, reaches for the objects of interest to him;
- Kids continue to study their pens; by the end of the month, the most active of them already seize themselves by the knees (the first stage in the study of their own legs);
- Everything that gets into the hands of a child turns out to be in his mouth;
Interesting! The fact is that the mucous membrane of the mouth and the tongue are much more sensitive than the fingers. Children study the surrounding objects with the help of the mouth.
The third month of child development is characterized by an expansion of the emotional spectrum.
- Some kids already know how to laugh, others just start to smile;
- The child closely follows the expression of the faces of loved ones and can already “read” their mood and imitate their facial expressions;
- The development of the infant’s speech continues. A crumb can long and with pleasure be heard, more and more often pronouncing not only melodious vowels, but also syllables.
The fourth month of child development is characterized by rapid changes in both physiological and psychological terms:
- The baby is already confident in holding the head: when he is held in a “column” and when he is lying on his stomach; can turn it, watching objects or reacting to sound;
- Scarce can climb on his elbows, lying on his stomach. Some kids are already leaning on straightened handles;
- From three to four months, your child learns to roll over independently – from the abdomen to the back, and from the back to the tummy. The most active kids already know how to roll around the room, or even crawl on their bellies! Interesting information about when a baby starts crawling>>>
Important! Remember that it is no longer safe to leave a child in an adult bed. It is better to move him to the floor, from there he can not fall and will get more room for their workouts.
- 4 months – the age of conscious manipulation of objects. The baby can take the rattle and play with it;
- The child is well able to distinguish their loved ones;
- At this age, there is a strong fear of being left without a mother, so the baby often does not for a second let her go on her own. Pay more attention to him and wait, this period will soon pass;
- At four months, the crumb already has favorite toys, may be interested in the reflection in the mirror, listens attentively to various sounds: rattling sound, bell ringing, voices, music;
- Speech development of the child is laid in the first year of life. At the age of 4 months, gouging gives way to babbling: distinct syllables “ba”, “ma”, “gu” appear.
AT fifth month his child hones physical skills:
- can surely roll over in different directions;
- lying on his stomach, rises on elbows or palms;
- takes the position of “preparing for the seat”: reclining on the thigh, leaning on one of the handles;
- trying to reach the subject of interest;
- can stand if supported for armpits;
- grabs himself by the feet, pulls them into his mouth, licks.
In the fifth month of child development, an important social skill appears in him: he begins to separate his own from others. The kid is happy to sit on the hands of parents, but may frown or even cry if he is approached or another person tries to take it.
At 5 months, the child can play with various objects: take them in pens, throw, knock, lick, etc. In the fifth month of a baby’s life, a picture book may be interested. Kids love to look at faces, especially with different expressions. Interested in color magazines.
Tell what is depicted on the pages, read simple poems. So you will not only take your child for a long time, but also contribute to the development of the baby’s speech.
At this age, it is already possible to teach a child the simple words: “mom”, “dad”, “woman”. Some babies at the age of five months are already repeating them.
At the age of 5 months, children express their joy with a smile, they know how to laugh, be angry and sad; continue to master the whole range of emotions. If he lacks the attention of adults, the child may become capricious.
The sixth month of child development is another time to change the usual way of life:
- It is at this time that children begin to crawl in a crushing manner, and mothers have to remove a lot of objects from their reach;
- At six months, the child can already be briefly put in a reclining position. Children themselves do not know how to sit down yet. Learn from the article, and when does the baby start sitting?>>>
- Half-year old babies, lying on their tummy, are trying to get on their knees – this is an important stage of preparation for both sitting and crawling. If the child succeeds, after a while he begins to sway in this position. Such movements are completely normal and indicate the development of the baby;
- The child confidently holds various objects, can take them with any pen, shift them from hand to hand;
- 6 months – the age of studying the surrounding space. A child sends everything in his mouth that he can reach, can break toys;
- In six months, the first everyday skills are formed: with the start of feeding, children will learn what a spoon is; learn to drink from a cup that holds an adult. Detailed information on the introduction of complementary foods and child nutrition>>>
- Development gets the child’s intelligence. At 6 months, children begin to understand the consequences of their actions: if you roll a dice, it will fall, if you press a button, you will hear a squeak;
- The formation of speech continues. At the age of six months, children confidently pronounce syllables, master the first consonants: “s”, “s”, “f”.
A seven-month-old baby is becoming more active:
- Kids confidently crawling in their bellies, someone already knows how to move on all fours.
If your child crawls backwards, there is nothing to worry about; Soon the child will figure out how to control his own body.
- At seven months, babies can sit with their backs straight for a while. Especially active are able to stand at the support, try to get up independently. Read to find out when a child starts walking.>>>
- There is a development of fine motor skills: the child can hold the object in each hand, knock them together, randomly take, lay, throw toys.
Important! Make sure that all the small parts of the toys are securely fastened, since the seven-month-old kids are all pulling in the mouth.
- The seventh month of child’s development is a time when it is necessary to stimulate the cognitive interest of the child. Tell him about the objects that surround him, show and name the main parts of his body.
- At seven months, children can already show items at the request of their parents (“Where are the eyes?”, “Where are the watches?”).
- Improved household skills. Now, during feeding, the baby removes food from a spoon, continues to master drinking from a mug. Some children themselves already drink from a non-sprinkled cup or a tube.
The seven-month-old babies begin to imitate adults, it is this that facilitates the introduction of complementary foods.
- At this age, the child imitates the sounds that animals make; he is able to say “av-av”, “me-me”. Says many syllables.
On a note! To activate the speech center, develop fine motor skills of the baby. For this purpose, toys with large wooden beads of various colors and shapes, strung on a rope, are suitable.
The eighth month of child development is marked by persistent attempts to stand up.
- The baby crawls to any support and tries to give the body a vertical position. So far this maneuver is not being succeeded by all children. If you put the child next to the support, he will stand;
- The most active kids already know how to walk along the support, and also touch their feet when an adult holds them by both hands or armpits;
- An eight-month-old child can crawl on all fours, studies the room where he lives, knows the layout of the rooms, moves around the apartment himself;
- The child is able to sit, sits down himself from the position “standing on all fours”;
- The games of the little man are becoming more meaningful. The crumb is able to put toys in a box or any capacity. Some children can already wear rings on the base of the pyramid and shoot them, trying to put cups one into the other.
At this time, your child may want to spoon himself. This desire needs to be encouraged, then later you will not have to inculcate this skill to your child.
- The child has already mastered simple games: “Koo-ku” (hiding behind her hands, hiding her mother’s face on her chest or, for example, in a blanket on the bed), “Ladies” (clapping her hands), showing “flashlights”. He enjoys listening to music, can “sing along” and even dance, especially if he has seen his parents do it;
- The child understands simple requests: bring a toy, show the chandelier. Many kids already know how to show some parts of their body;
- Constantly improved speech. The crumb tries to repeat words after adults, new syllables are obtained. Perhaps right now the baby will utter its first meaningful word.
- A nine-month-old baby continues his attempts to rise on legs;
- He stands up more confidently and stands at the support, moves along the sofas, the beds, along the playpen;
- During the crawling can turn around and crawl in the opposite direction. Able to sit down from the “lying” position and stand up from the “sitting” position;
Important! At this time, the child is trying to climb on a chair, sofa, independently get off from there. Parents should be alert all the time to warn of dangerous falls.
- Scarce tries to reach out to everything that he sees. If not, can express their dissatisfaction with a cry. It was at nine months that the child actively manifests his character. May begin to resist dressing and hygienic procedures, even if before that he endured everything without complaint. The child is afraid of losing his mother and does not even want to briefly let her out of sight.
In the ninth month of child development, new skills emerge:
- A crumb learns to crumple and tear paper, leaf through books;
- You can give the child clay, just make sure that he does not eat it. Kneading of plasticine will strengthen brushes, will develop fine motor skills. In addition, children like this activity very much;
- Vocabulary crumbs constantly replenished. Children quickly memorize the names of all the items that adults show them; they also know the meanings of the words “give,” “bring,” “put,” “eat,” “cannot”, etc.
In the tenth month of child development, his skills continue to improve. The little man can already stand up and stand without support, trying to walk. Able to sit up from a standing position. Nimbly crawls across the apartment.
At this age, children’s games are improved:
- Thanks to the active development of fine motor skills, the child can already hold from two to three small objects in one hand. At 10 months, the leading hand appears in the crumbs;
- The children understand how to play toys: they know how to roll a typewriter, assemble and disassemble a pyramid (the rings are not yet in order). They know how to play with a doll; they know how to build a tower of two cubes;
- A child may be involved in playing with children if adults show him how to do it;
- Kids love to put cups in each other;
- They know how to roll, throw the ball;
- Open, close the doors of the cabinets, push and pull the drawers. Can put the toy in a closet or drawer;
- Transfer small items into different boxes and containers;
- Begin to combine objects, for example, push the ball with a stick;
- They enjoy playing with food and water;
- They begin to be interested in designers from large parts, but they do not assemble them yet, but disassemble them;
- They know how to turn the pages of cardboard books.
Ten-month children love to imitate adults, copy their facial expressions. Use this interest of the little man, saying new simple words with him. Scarce will repeat them for you.
At 10 months, children remember the names of animals well, parody the sounds they make.
A child can respond to an uncomplicated request: show, hide, bring. The children already know the names of the body parts, show eyes, nose. They know how to generalize concepts: for example, they show pens in their own hands, in a doll, in a dad, and in a girl in a picture.
Read more about this age in the article about how a child should be able to be at 10 months.>>>
- At eleven months, your baby is strong enough to start taking the first steps without support. A child can walk a short distance from one adult to another, or from a support to a mother. The crumb actively moves in any room: crawls, sits, rises, walks with a support.
- Self-service skills continue to develop. The little man tries to eat with a spoon, drink from a cup, tries to put on or take off his clothes. You can take a crumb for a long time, if you offer him a box with clothes. The independence of the children should be encouraged, especially children at this age love when they are praised.
- The eleventh month of child development is the time of appearance of the first meaningful dialogues. Scarce perfectly understands the meaning of the words “yes”, “no”, “cannot” (learn from the article how to explain to a child that it is impossible>>>); can nod positively and shake her head negatively.
- In addition, the baby looks and shows his finger on the subject of interest. Thus, the child communicates with adults, the parents and the child begin to better understand each other. The number of pronounced syllables is growing. At this time, two or three clearly pronounced words may appear in the baby’s speech (most often it is “mother”, “father”, “woman” and some onomatopoeia, for example, “aw”).
- Eleven-month-old children begin to learn the skills of polite communication: they easily remember the gestures of “hello” and “bye”, they gladly wave a pen.
On a note! Although this is still a game for them, it is recommended that parents always ask the child to say hello and say goodbye in order to consolidate this positive habit.
At 11 months, babies are very excitable, easily moving from laughter to crying. Wary in an unfamiliar place, scared when a new person appears. These manifestations indicate the normal development of the psyche of the child and should not upset the parents.
The twelfth month of child development is a kind of transitional period from infancy to childhood. Although this limit is quite conditional, psychologically, parents expect from a one-year-old child much more than from an eleven-month-old child.
- In the year the baby most often begins to walk.
Do not worry if your child does not do it yet; Children have the right to crawl for up to one and a half years, and this is not considered a pathology.
- The little man at this age already knows how to squat to pick up a toy; can put one item and take another. The children know very well where everything lies, and they will look for a toy exactly where they left it;
- Kids learn to step over obstacles: first holding the hand of an adult, and then independently;
- Household skills develop: a child eats with a spoon, drinks from a cup, puts on and takes off hats and socks;
- If the baby has been taught the pot, in a year such children can already ask him. Information on how old to teach a child to the pot>>> In one year, the child eats food in pieces, knows how to chew. If chewing teeth have not grown yet, kids chew gums (they are quite hard);
- The one-year-old child understands everything he is told, even if it seems to his parents that this is not so. He is perfectly able to read the mood and gives in to him: having fun and sadness along with his mother. Psychologists do not recommend to sort things out and quarrel with a child. Since the baby still does not know how to cope with his emotions, this can cause him severe trauma.
The crumb not only understands everything that is said to him, but he himself babbles a lot and utters individual words.
Important! The words at this age teachers consider all stable sound combinations, which always denote the same thing.
Vocabulary for a year – from two to ten words; in some babies it may be even more.
- In the twelfth month of life, the child’s play becomes more complicated. The kid allocates some toys, can feed them, rock them, plant them in a pot.
What did the baby learn in the first year of life?
The calendar of child development from birth to the year is filled with many events. By the age of one year old, the baby can turn over, crawl, sit, stand, walk. The child climbs on the bed, sofas, gets off of them.
Children can eat with a spoon, put on and take off a hat and socks, ask for a pot.
The little man has mastered the game: throws and rolls balls, cars, rock dolls. Plays cubes, collects pyramid.
The child is very emotional, knows how to smile and laugh, angry, sad. It recognizes parents, their company prefers the company of other people.
If you still have questions, where to take clear and simple steps, what and how to do with a child up to a year so that he grows calm happy and harmonious, see the course My favorite baby: the main secrets of the development and upbringing of a child up to a year.
Asking about the development of the crumbs, do not forget that each person is individual, even if he is only a few months old. If your child is not able to do something, this is not a cause for concern; he will definitely acquire this skill later.
The most important thing is to surround the baby with care and love, to spend a lot of time with him, to talk with him. Then there will be a return, and very soon the child will begin to please the parents with new and new skills.