Anti-cough medicine for children should correspond to the type of cough (wet or dry), effectively remove sputum and most importantly – be suitable for admission by age. Many products have age restrictions and are not allowed for children from 1 year old. The most popular form of cough medicine for children is syrup. And also there are drugs in the form of tablets, drops and ointments. In the treatment of cough can help and folk remedies.
Preparations for the treatment of cough in children are available in several dosage forms:
- 1. Tablets – contain a greater concentration of the active substance than in syrups and drops. Therefore recommended for children from six years.
- 2. Syrups – have a sweet taste, children take it with pleasure. The safest form for a small child.
- 3. Drops – an alternative to pills and syrups. The most commonly used drops are vegetable based.
- 4. Ointments – warm up, helping the body to fight colds.
All children’s medicines for this disease can be divided into 2 groups:
- with expectorant action.
- contributing to the suppression of the cough reflex.
Preparations from the first group are more preferable for use, t.
Drugs from the second group are rarely prescribed to children, since they do not fight the causes of the disease, but only drown it. The principle of action of such agents in influencing the center in the brain responsible for the cough reflex. Thus, the blocking of signals from the bronchi is carried out – cough does not occur. As part of these drugs often contains codeine. The use of drugs with this component for children is contraindicated. Since in this case the disease itself is not treated, and the sputum remains in the bronchi, this is a direct path to bronchitis or pneumonia.
The exception is a situation where a child has long been tormented by protracted frequent cough attacks. But to use drugs that suppress the cough reflex, it is necessary only on the recommendation of a pediatrician.
When choosing a drug, it is first necessary to determine which type of cough a child has: dry or wet. Each of them has its own reasons and methods of treatment.
When dry cough, there is stiffness of breath, swelling of the pharynx and respiratory tract. Phlegm does not move because of its viscosity and ductility.
Wet is characterized by a good discharge of bronchial secretions, most often this is facilitated by the use of expectorant drugs and abundant warm drink.
For children from a year and more preferably use syrups, since the active ingredients in them are contained in a gentle concentration.
Taking any drug for sputum removal should be accompanied by abundant warm drink.
There is a large list of children’s syrups to help dilute sputum and remove it from the bronchi:
- 1. Fluditec. The main active substance is carbocysteine, it has an expectorant effect. This medicine is effective in treating bronchitis, pneumonia and tracheitis. Fluditec is produced in the form of syrup. It must be taken 2 times a day for 5 ml. Has a short course of admission – 3 days. Of the minuses worth noting the high price, on average, a bottle of 125 ml costs about 270-350 rubles.
- 2. Bromhexine. The main substance is bromhexine hydrochloride. The drug contributes to the dilution and rapid discharge of sputum. Bromhexine is prescribed for the treatment of tuberculosis, tracheitis and cystic fibrosis. It comes in the form of syrup and tablets. The dosage depends on age: children up to two years old should be given medication 2.5 ml 3 times a day, from two to six years 5 ml 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 6 days.
- 3. Sinekod. The medicine fights suffocative attacks and reduces inflammation in the bronchi. This drug does not contain in its composition of plant components. The active ingredient is butamirate. The tool is used to treat tracheitis, whooping cough and bronchitis. The price of it is many times higher than other drugs with a similar principle of action. On average, 200 ml of syrup will have to pay about 450 rubles. Analogues of Sinekod, which are cheaper, are: Bronholitin, Codelac NEO and Bronholin sage. Sinekod produced in several forms: tablets, syrup or drops. For children from one year old it is preferable to use drops. Apply the drug should be no more than three times a day. The course of treatment is a week.
- 4. Glycodine. The drug is prescribed for the treatment of diseases of the bronchi and lungs, occurring in the acute form. Glycodin helps sputum discharge. The main active ingredients are levomenthol, dextromethorphan and terpinehydrate. Can not be used for bronchial asthma. Available in syrup. It is necessary to take it three times a day for seven days. Of the minuses, it is worth noting the nervous system of the child after consuming the drug.
The most popular drugs to facilitate the discharge of sputum with a wet cough:
- 1. Dr. Theiss. As a part of this syrup only vegetable components: plantain juice, mint, beet. The drug helps to reduce the viscosity of sputum and quickly get rid of it. Take it four times a day for 2.5 ml. Syrup should drink plenty of warm water.
- 2. Surpassed. The main component of this medicine is ivy extract. Prospan has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic effects. Using this medication helps to excrete viscous sputum. The only drawback of Prospan are possible allergic reactions to the main active ingredient – ivy. Allergies can manifest as urticaria. Prospan is applied 3 times a day, 5 ml.
- 3. Ambrobene. The drug is approved for use in children from infancy. The main active component is Ambroxol. It does not contain thickeners and preservatives – this is a very big plus. The tool has expectorant and mucolytic action. The medicine is made in the form of a syrup, it can be taken orally or inhaled.
Drops – another type of drugs whose effect is aimed at the removal of sputum. Suitable for children:
- 1. Ammon-anisic drops. Active ingredients: anise oil (has antimicrobial effect, stimulates the secretion of mucus in the respiratory tract), ammonia (reduces the viscosity of sputum). The drug is used to treat wet cough. They remove the accumulation of mucus and prevent the development of complications. Treatment with such drops positively affects not only the respiratory system, but also the digestive system – anise stimulates the appetite. This effect can be called positive, as often the sick child refuses to eat. For children aged 1 -2 years, you must use 2 drops 3-4 times a day.
- 2. Surpassed. Drops based on ivy extract. Prospan has a mucolytic effect, relieves spasms in the bronchi. This drug is used to treat inflammatory processes of the respiratory tract, characterized by an abundance of hard-to-separate mucus. Children 1-3 years old is given 10 drops 3-5 times a day. To consolidate the result, it is recommended to continue treatment for 2-3 days after the cessation of symptoms of the disease. A significant excess of the specified dose in the instructions can lead to vomiting, nausea and gastrointestinal upset.
- 3. Stoptussin. The main components are guaifenesin and butamirata citrate. It has a combined effect: antitussive and mucolytic effect. Used when dry, exhausting cough. The dosage depends on the weight of the patient: up to 7 kg – 8 cap., 7-12 kg – 9 cap., 12-20 – 14 cap. A measured amount of the drug should be dripped 3-4 times a day. The time interval between doses should be 6 hours. It is rarely possible manifestation of side effects: vomiting, dizziness, urticaria.
- 4. Tussamag. Drops based on thyme, contribute to the discharge of mucus in the bronchi and facilitate breathing. Tussamag is used for the treatment of diseases accompanied by sputum. Drops are contraindicated in violation of cardiac activity and individual intolerance to the components. Children 1-5 years should take 10-25 cap. 2 times a day. The drug can be drunk undiluted, or with a small amount of water.
Pills can be used to combat cough. There are a number of fairly effective tools:
- 1. Bromhexine. The active ingredient is bromhexine hydrochloride. Reduces the viscosity of bronchial secretions, thereby facilitating its excretion. Indications for use: chronic and acute bronchitis, tracheitis, cystic fibrosis, bronchial asthma. Children from 1-2 years old are recommended to take 2 mg 3 times a day. Possible manifestation of side effects: headache, cough, dizziness, bronchospasm. Bromhexine can not be used simultaneously with drugs containing codeine.
- 2. Thermopsol. The active substance is the herb thermopsis, has a pronounced expectorant effect. The composition contains sodium bicarbonate, it helps to reduce the viscosity of sputum. Thermopsol is recommended for use in tracheobronchitis and bronchitis. Tablets should be taken 1 piece 3 times a day, the course is 3-5 days.
- 3. Mukaltin. The main component is the herb Althea medicinal. Thanks to him, Mukaltin has expectorant and anti-inflammatory effects. It is used to treat diseases in which sputum is viscous and difficult to excrete from the body: bronchitis, lung enfesema, and tracheobronchitis. It is forbidden to use for stomach ulcers. Side effects are rarely possible: vomiting, nausea, allergic manifestations. Children from one year old are recommended to use ¼ tablets, diluted with 100 ml of warm water 3-4 times a day, 20 minutes before meals.
To combat cough in the complex therapy, you can use the ointment. They are applied to the baby’s chest, warming and facilitating breathing. These remedies also cure rhinitis well.
- one. "Pulmeks baby". Ointment is allowed for use to children from 6 months. It consists of: eucalyptus and rosemary oil, Peruvian balsam. This tool has a combined anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and expectorant effects. It is used in combination with other drugs for the treatment of such diseases as: chronic and acute bronchitis, tracheitis. Rubbing ointment should be carried out 2 times a day. The drug is applied to the upper and middle part of the chest and back. After the procedure, it is necessary to warm the child. "Pulmeks baby" does not leave greasy marks on clothes. Can not be used to treat children with epileptic syndrome. The side effect of the use can be attributed to the manifestation of allergic rashes on the skin. With an overdose possible headache, nausea, abdominal cramps, cramps.
- 2. Ointment “Barsuchok”. This is a warming ointment-balm. The main component is badger fat, additional substances: purified water, stearin, wax and hot pepper extract. It is used to prevent ARVI and treat acute respiratory diseases accompanied by sore throat and cough. “Barsuchok” contains red pepper, which increases the activity of the other components of the ointment and contributes to their penetration into the skin cells. Apply the product on the back, chest and foot, after which it should be warmly dressed. Contraindication is component intolerance.
- 3. Vishnevsky ointment. The main components: castor oil, birch tar and xenoform. Due to its completely natural composition, the ointment is approved for use by children from birth. For the procedure, a small amount of ointment is applied to gauze and applied to the upper chest and back. This compress is necessary to keep no more than 3 hours.
- 4. Propolis ointment. The active ingredient is propolis – a substance rich in amino acids, oils and vitamins. His bees are collected from flowers. This ointment has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and analgesic effects. Rubbing with this agent warms, thereby facilitating the release of sputum from the body. May cause an allergic reaction in children who have intolerance to bee products.
Treatment with ointments can be carried out only if the child does not have a fever.
If pharmaceutical preparations do not show the expected effect, a folk remedy can be given for treating a cough to a child. Among the most famous recipes are:
- 1. Carrot cocktail. To make it, you should take freshly squeezed carrot juice and sugar syrup in a ratio of 1: 2, the components should be placed in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and mix thoroughly. The resulting product is stored in the refrigerator. This folk remedy should be given to the baby 1 teaspoon 4 times a day.
- 2. Honey-glycerin medication. To make it, you need to mix 1 cup of honey, juice of 2 lemons and a vial of glycerin 5 ml. This tool is recommended to take 7 times a day: before and after each meal and at night. Before each use the drug is recommended to shake.
- 3. Milk and Egg Cocktail. We need to take 1 cup of hot milk and add 1 tbsp of it.
For faster treatment of the disease, parents should not only give medicines to children, but also provide conditions conducive to recovery. Namely: to humidify the air, to maintain a cool temperature in the child’s room and to drink it abundantly and often with warm tea or milk.
If, despite the use of drugs, cough does not pass, this may indicate a more serious diagnosis. To exclude this possibility at the first symptoms of cough in a child, it is necessary to contact a pediatrician.