Ketosteril is a combined drug that provides the supply of essential amino acids with minimal nitrogen intake.
The components of the drug are transaminated into L-amino acids, splitting urea. It contributes to the utilization of nitrogen-containing metabolic products, protein anabolism, reduction of serum urea, regulation of nitrogen metabolism. The drug reduces the concentration of potassium, magnesium and phosphate ions in the blood.
On this page you will find all the information about Ketosteril: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Ketosteril. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
The preparation of ketone analogues of amino acids used in renal failure.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does ketosteril cost? The average price in pharmacies is 3,000 rubles.
Release form and composition
Ketosteril is available in the form of film-coated yellow tablets (20 each in blisters, 5 blisters in sealed bags, in a cardboard bundle 1 packet).
Active ingredients of the drug (in 1 tablet):
- DL-methyl-oxo-2-calcium valerinate (a-keto-analogue isoleucine) 67 mg, Methyl-4-oxo-2-calcium valerinate (a-keto-analogue leucine) 101 mg, Oxo-2-phenyl-3-calcium propionate (a ketoanalog of phenylalanine) 68 mg, methyl-oxo-2-calcium butyrate (a-keto-analog of valine) 86 mg, DL-hydroxy-2-calcium methyl butyrate (a-hydroxy-analog of methionine) 59 mg, L-lysine monoacetate 105 mg, L- threonine 53 mg, L-tryptophan 23 mg, L-histidine 38 mg, L-tyrosine 30 mg.
The total nitrogen content is 36 mg. The calcium content is 50 mg (1.25 mmol).
Auxiliary components: soluble povidone, povidone, macrogol 6000, colloidal silicon dioxide, talc, corn starch, magnesium stearate.
Shell composition: copolymer of dimethylaminoethyl methacrylate, butyl methacrylate and methyl methacrylate (Eudragit E12.5), titanium dioxide, triacetin, macrogol 6000, talc, quinoline yellow dye (E104).
Combined amino acid drug that provides the body with essential amino acids, while not burdening the body with nitrogen. Ketone analogs of amino acids, which naturally undergo transamination to L-amino acids, are introduced into the preparation.
The drug has a utilizing effect on nitrogen-containing metabolic products, promotes protein anabolism against the background of a decrease in serum urea concentrations. When taking the drug Ketosteril, a decrease in plasma concentrations of phosphate, potassium and magnesium is observed. Sometimes taking the drug can help delay the date of dialysis, improving the condition in chronic kidney disease.
Indications for use
The drug is indicated for use in chronic renal failure for the prevention and treatment of disorders triggered by defects in protein metabolism, as well as in severe protein and energy deficiency.
- Disruption of amino acid metabolism;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Ketosteril contains phenylalanine, so caution should be exercised when prescribing it to patients with hereditary phenylketonuria.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
There is not enough experience with Ketosteril in patients with lactation and pregnancy.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Ketosteril is administered orally, as a rule, 3 times a day with meals. Tablets should be swallowed without chewing. It is used during the entire period when the glomerular filtration rate is less than 25 ml / min.
- Adults and children aged 3 years and older are prescribed 1 tablet / 5 kg of body weight / day or 100 mg / kg of body weight / day. For adults weighing 70 kg, the dose is usually 4-8 tab. 3 times / day
In the predialysis period, a protein content of no more than 40 g / day is recommended, depending on the degree of chronic renal failure.
In patients on dialysis, protein intake should be in accordance with accepted guidelines.
The recommended protein content in food for children 3-10 years –
Basically, the drug is well tolerated, in some cases, may develop hypercalcemia.
In case of hypersensitivity to any component there is a possibility of allergic reactions.
No information on overdose.
- Required to ensure sufficient caloric intake.
- It is necessary to regularly monitor the calcium content and monitor the decrease in phosphate levels in the serum.
- Ketosteril should be taken with meals to improve its absorption and conversion to the corresponding amino acids.
- In patients with hypersensitivity to the components of the drug in some cases, allergic reactions may occur.
- For hypercalcemia, it is recommended to reduce the dose of vitamin D taken. If hypercalcemia persists, the dose of Ketosteril and other sources of calcium should be reduced.
When using Ketosteril in combination with drugs containing calcium, an increase in serum calcium levels is possible.
In accordance with the reduction of uremic symptoms under the influence of the drug, the dose of simultaneously used aluminum hydroxide should be proportionally reduced.
In order not to interfere with absorption in the intestine, it is not recommended to take the drug at the same time with drugs that form poorly soluble compounds with calcium (for example, quinolines, tetracyclines, drugs containing fluorine, iron and estramustine). An interval of at least 2 hours should be observed between taking these drugs and Ketosteril.
We picked up some reviews from people about Ketosteril:
- Oksana. An excellent preparation that contains in its composition an optimal ratio of amino acids, indispensable for both healthy people and patients with chronic renal failure. More than half of them are represented in the form of amino-group-free keto-dialogs, which are converted in the body into the corresponding amino acids, facilitating the utilization of urea. Ketosteril makes it possible to provide, in conditions of protein deficiency, the need of patients with ESRD in essential amino acids with minimal nitrogen administration. Therefore, patients with chronic renal failure, sometimes can not limit themselves to food, with proper use of ketosterila. I recommend patients with chronic renal failure!
Almost all patients who received it, noted a gradual improvement in general condition, confirmed by laboratory tests.
There are almost no negative reviews about Ketosteril, but some patients noted that their condition was going too slowly, which was most likely related to the severity of the disease.
Currently, there are no analogues of Ketosteril, due to the unique composition of the drug, as well as its ability to reduce the content of toxic products in the blood formed during the metabolism of proteins.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Shelf life – 3 years.