A runny nose is a protective reaction of the body. This symptom appears to remove foreign bodies, dust, allergens, bacteria. To get rid of the cold, you should establish the cause of its occurrence.
Runny nose in infants: causes
Features of the development of a cold in an infant
The appearance of rhinitis in infants may be due to physiological features or indicate the development of the disease.
The physiological reasons for the appearance of mucous discharge from the nose in children under one year of age include:
- Moisturizing the mucous due to the active work of the salivary glands
- Removal from the nasal passages of milk that fell during regurgitation
In these cases, the discharge from the nose should be transparent, odorless. Moreover, their number should be moderate. The physiological rhinitis runs independently and causes discomfort for the baby. Such a runny nose usually appears in the first months of life.
A runny nose may also be associated with adverse environmental factors. When the air is too dry, secretion is enhanced to avoid drying out of the mucous membrane, which causes swelling and nasal discharge. It is possible to get rid of mucous secretions by increasing the humidity in the room where the child is and the temperature changes.
Allergic rhinitis in children under one year is extremely rare.
May appear due to individual intolerance to any substances that act as allergens. In most cases, the appearance of a head cold and the addition of other symptoms to it indicate the development of an acute respiratory infection.
Discharge from the nose and sneezing – the main signs of a cold in infants
To notice the appearance of the cold in the baby is not difficult. Symptoms are almost the same as adults.
The baby has signs such as:
The baby sniffs and sniffs, because of a breathing disorder, it can refuse the chest and the pacifier. If a runny nose is associated with teething, swelling of the gums can be noticed. The temperature does not rise above 37.5 degrees. In this case, the baby has a good appetite, there is no ailment. The development of a bacterial rhinitis is indicated by thick and abundant snot of green or dark yellow color.
Temperature increase usually occurs at the beginning of the development of the inflammatory process. In this case, the general condition of the baby is normal. If a runny nose appears as a result of drying out mucous membranes, dry crusts in the nose appear. When sneezing, they are blown out of the nose. During the first 2-3 days of the disease with mucous and clear discharge treatment is carried out by home methods. However, if the inflammatory process begins to progress and a positive result is not observed, then you should consult a doctor.
It is also necessary to visit the pediatrician, if the body temperature rises above 38-39 degrees, the nasal discharge is yellow or dark green, and there is blood in the mucus.
These symptoms indicate the development of a bacterial disease. Usually such a runny nose begins acutely and ends quickly. Medical treatment for such symptoms is necessary, since the disease can become a serious complication.
Only a doctor can prescribe a safe treatment for a cold.
When a runny nose occurs, the nasal passages should be cleaned of accumulated mucus. To do this, use an aspirator or a syringe with a soft spout.
Preparations from the common cold for babies:
- With a significant swelling of the nasal mucosa, the doctor may prescribe vasoconstrictor drops: Nazol for small, Nazivin Bebi, etc. The dosage should be correctly measured using a pipette and use more than 3 days is prohibited. To bury the nose should be once with an interval of 6 hours. These are safe preparations, since the active substance has a low concentration and the effectiveness of the drug does not decrease.
- Used with a cold drops with antiseptic action: Protargol, Albucid. These drugs are used to treat bacterial rhinitis. Rhinitis at the initial stage is usually caused by viruses, and then a bacterial infection can attach to the disease.
- Of the antiviral agents and immunomodulators, Grippferon, Genferon-light, Viferon and Derinat are prescribed.
All medications are used only on prescription.
Effective folk methods for the treatment of rhinitis in infants
In case of a cold in infants, non-traditional methods of treatment can be applied, having previously consulted a doctor.
The best folk recipes:
- If a runny nose has appeared against the background of a cold, then the juice of boiled or fresh beets helps to eliminate this symptom. You can add honey to it if your baby is not allergic to this product. Beet or carrot juice should be diluted with warm boiled water in equal proportions. To bury the nose of the baby 1-2 drops every 2-3 hours. In addition, you can make turunda, soak in juice and put in each nostril for 10 minutes.
- It is useful to bury the nose with a decoction of chamomile. This plant has anti-inflammatory effects. Take a teaspoon of chamomile flowers and pour 260 ml of boiling water. Insist some time and cool to a temperature of 36 degrees. In both nostrils should drip 3-4 drops of broth 3-5 times a day.
- Two leaves of Kalanchoe need to be well washed and rinsed with boiled water. Then squeeze the juice and dilute with warm boiled water in a ratio of 1:10. To drip into the nose should be no more than 4 times a day, 1-2 drops in each nostril. Instead of Kalanchoe you can take aloe. In order to avoid irritation and redness of the mucous membrane, the leaf of the plant should be picked in advance and left to lie down for a while.
It should be remembered that to bury the nose with breast milk is prohibited. It contains antibodies to enhance the immune system of the child, but the bacteria multiply rapidly in milk. When using breast milk for instillation of the nose can harm the baby. It is important to follow all the recommendations of the doctor and begin treatment at the first signs of a cold in order to avoid complications in the future.
Nasal wash: drugs and washing technique
Nasal flushing is an effective and safe method of treating the common cold in infants
When using medication with rhinitis for washing, moisturizing agents based on sea water are used: Aqua Maris, Aqualor, Dolphin, Salin, etc. These natural remedies thin the mucus and improve its release.
Folk recipes for washing the nose:
- Washing the nose at home can be done with a saline solution, which is no different in properties from special preparations for washing. You need to take a teaspoon of regular salt and dilute in a liter of boiled water. Stir well. The taste of the solution should be slightly salty.
- It is useful to do the washing broth chamomile, eucalyptus, sage, calendula. It is recommended to apply medicinal herbal decoctions in 1-1.5 hours after the brine.
A vertical flush is performed if the baby already holds the head:
- Pour the prepared solution into a syringe without a needle or a syringe.
- Next, slowly inject fluid into the nasal sinus.
- You need to hold the child over the basin and make sure that the mouth is open.
- The procedure should be carried out slowly and carefully so as not to frighten the baby.
- The procedure is also carried out with the other nostrils.
Useful video – How to treat a runny nose in infants:
If the child still does not hold the head, then it is necessary:
- Lay it on a flat surface on your back.
- Put a few drops of the solution in the nose, and then use a rubber bulb to suck mucus.
- Remnants can be removed with cotton flagella.
You should know that a lot of drip solution in the nose can not be, because the fluid can get into the Eustachian tube and lead to inflammation of the ears. To make the procedure more effective, it is recommended to use Etericidal after washing. This oily liquid has a bactericidal and moisturizing effect. Irrigation of the nose should be performed not only in case of a runny nose and nasal congestion in infants, but also as a preventive measure to moisturize the mucous membrane.
When running a cold, complications may occur.
When running cold, the inflammatory process will begin to spread further. The chest is more and the fluid can flow into the middle ear or bronchi. The resulting diseases are very difficult to treat.
Untreated rhinitis can cause the development of chronic diseases: sinusitis, rhinitis.
Inflammatory diseases weaken the child’s immunity, and the body becomes vulnerable to pathogenic bacteria and viruses.
A runny nose in the running form can lead to oxygen starvation due to impaired breathing.
As a result, the baby’s tissues and organs are not sufficiently saturated with oxygen. With the development of chronic nasopharyngeal diseases on the background of the common cold, children become dispersed and anxious. Respiratory failure can lead to abnormal lung development.
In order to avoid the appearance of a cold in infants, it is necessary to adhere to the following recommendations:
- Timely contact a pediatrician or otolaryngologist.
- To temper the body. There are 2 ways: air and water. It should be more likely to walk with the child on the street and the time spent in the fresh air should be increased each time.
- Hardening with water should be performed when washing the child gradually reducing the temperature of the water.
- It is very important to observe the temperature. The baby should not sweat or freeze.
- The room where the child is located should be regularly aired. It is also necessary to constantly carry out wet cleaning. If necessary, the room should be installed humidifier or put a container with water.
- During the epidemic of influenza or ARVI, it is necessary to limit contact with people who are ill. The body of the child is very sensitive to various pathogens, so the probability of infection is high.
- Important in the prevention is the elimination of allergens. Various odors, chemicals, animal dander, dust can lead to allergic rhinitis.
- A young mother during lactation is also not recommended to eat foods that can cause an allergic reaction. Breast milk contains substances that enhance the immune system of the infant. It is important to breastfeed as long as possible.
If you follow all the recommendations, you can not only avoid the appearance of a cold and colds, but also improve the immunity of the baby.