Breastfeeding is a natural process. But even you need to prepare for it and learn a little theory. Proper breastfeeding grip is the foundation. If the baby correctly captures the nipple, the feeding process will be ineffective, and mommy will experience pain.
Why the right nipple grip is important
Proper attachment to the breast provides:
- Complete emptying of the breast. This is the prevention of mastitis and stagnation.
- Baby eats a lot of milk – it guarantees good weight gain and normal development.
- There are no problems with lack of lactation, since milk is eaten completely and then again produced in the right amount – the principle of “demand-demand” works flawlessly.
- Mom does not experience pain and discomfort during the feeding process.
- There will be no cracks on the nipples.
If the child is not properly attached, problems with lactation cannot be avoided, since the baby will eat less and milk will be produced according to demand. In addition, chest pains and nipple cracks will become constant companions of the nursing mother.
Nipple capturing rules
How to give a breast to the newborn? To ensure the right nipple grip, you need to give the baby a breast properly. It is especially important to do this at the very beginning, when mother and baby are just getting used to the new process. Then the correct feeding will be obtained automatically. Three main rules for capturing the nipple:
Asymmetrical nipple grip
It is necessary to achieve such a capture, so that the nipple rests against the baby in the sky. In this position, sucking will be more efficient and strong. For this you need to give the breast in such a way that the nipple “looked” up, and not directly into the mouth of the baby. At the same time, it is necessary to ensure that the bottom of the areola is completely in the child’s mouth, and is slightly peeking from above.
The language of the child is on the gum
When the tongue of the crumbs is located on the gums, the nipple compression is not so strong, and mommy does not experience pain while feeding. It is very important! Breastfeeding should not hurt! In addition, the wave-like movements of the tongue during sucking help squeeze the milk out of the nipple more effectively. In this position, the tongue inside the mouth moves freely, it is not trapped in the gums, and milk goes easily without difficulty. It is very difficult to track this particular moment in feeding. On the correctness of the position of the language says that he can sometimes stick out.
Important point: Sometimes the child simply physically cannot stick out the tongue so that it reaches the gums. This indicates a short bridle. In this state of affairs, it will never be possible to achieve proper nipple gripping. The baby will eat little milk, as sucking is ineffective, and mommy will suffer from pain with each feeding.
How to know that a child has a short bridle? Make it easy. While the baby is awake, you need to gently push it on the lower lip with your finger. Baby will open his mouth and stick out his tongue.
If the bridle of the child is short, then it is necessary to solve this problem. One solution is a small operation – cropping. Today it is done with a laser. In any case, you need to consult about this with a pediatrician and get the appropriate recommendations.
The mouth of the baby is wide open, the chin is pressed to the chest.
With the right grip on the breast, the mouth of the newborn is always wide open. At the same time, the crumbs are turned outwards. Only in this way the baby can capture not only the nipple, but also the areola, so that the sucking process takes place more efficiently, and the milk flows easier. To baby opened his mouth wider, you need to give the breast is not at a right angle to the mouth of the child, and keep the nipple approximately at the level of his nose. So, the baby will open its mouth much wider, and the grip will be correct.
If these three rules are followed, then you can be sure that feeding is effective.
Sometimes it is very important is the phenomenon of self-application. It lies in the fact that newborns have reflexes, with the help of which they will take the breast themselves and make it perfectly correct. You can experiment and let the crumbs themselves grab the nipple as he sees fit. The main thing is to show patience and tenderness during the process.
Correction of the wrong nipple grip
If the baby is already stuck to the breast, and mommy noticed that the nipple grip is wrong, then you can correct it. To do this, gently pull the chest out of the mouth of the crumbs.
You can not pull the nipple out with force: it hurts and contributes to cracks. The easiest way is to gently stick the little finger in the corner of the infant’s mouth. This will remove the vacuum, and the baby will release the nipple out. After that, you can give the breast again, following the rules of feeding.
If the crumbs of sponges are wrapped, they can be carefully turned out without taking it from the breast. This action will immediately ease the task of sucking the baby.
Sometimes it’s just enough to press the child harder to your body or gently lower it just below. The baby’s head will tilt back stronger, his mouth will open wider and the grip will be right.
What else to look for when breastfeeding newborns
There are a number of signs that breastfeeding is adjusted correctly:
- During sucking simultaneously with the movement of the lower jaw should be a wave-like movement of the tongue.
- At the very beginning of feeding babies suck quickly, seeking tide. When the milk starts to flow, sucking becomes slow and deep.
- Short pauses during feeding indicate that milk flows well and freely.
- Baby’s cheeks should be rounded, not pulled inward.
- If the baby is full and there is enough milk, then the nipple from the mouth will be rounded, not flattened.
Often moms give babies bottles and soothers from the very first days. It is not right! Sucking these baby gadgets is fundamentally different from proper breast sucking. Such actions can confuse the baby, it will be very difficult to achieve effective and proper nipple grip.
Nuances of the correct location of the child when feeding
It is very important to position the child well in relation to the mother, so that his position is not only comfortable, but also conducive to the correct seizure of the breast. The following nuances contribute to this:
- The body of the child is maximally pressed against the body of the mother, and the face is turned straight to the chest.
- The nipple is located at the level of the nose of the baby.
- To the mouth opened wider, you can nipple touch the upper lip.
- The head of the baby should not be clamped. It is better if it is thrown back slightly, in such a position the mouth opens wider.
- The nipple should be positioned so that the baby does not have to reach for it, twisting its neck.
- You can not squeeze the chest with his fingers near the areola. This action will not help the flow of milk, but will only complicate the task of the baby to suck properly.
- If the breast is too large, it is necessary to hold it with the whole palm, placing it away from the nipple so that the baby’s nose is not clamped and it can breathe freely.
In no case can you use force on a child, force a chest into his mouth forcibly, show your irritation and discontent – this will negate all efforts to master GV.
How to choose a pose for feeding the baby
Mom’s position is also very important. You need to take a comfortable position, as feeding can last up to 40 minutes and longer if the baby is weak and premature. At the very beginning, to avoid the wrong position of the crumbs and poor breast capture, you need to feed the baby sitting or lying on its side – these are the most physiological methods.
For convenience, you can take advantage of modern appliances, such as a pillow for feeding. With its help, you can free your hands and ease the load on your back.
When the correct capture and effective feeding is mastered well, you can experiment and try different feeding postures in which mother and baby will be as comfortable as possible.
In fact, there is nothing difficult in the proper nipple gripping; often children independently do everything as it should. Mom will be able to master this skill in the first days after giving birth in the maternity hospital when she starts feeding her baby. And in the future it will be necessary only to fix the correct HB and enjoy motherhood.