Small children cannot tell their parents what is bothering them and what hurts. However, a caring mother can determine the malaise of a child with a device such as a thermometer. With it, you can determine the exact readings of body temperature, on the basis of which you can judge the state of health of the baby. There are many different reasons why a child may have a fever. Strong heat in a child is a sign that the body produces interferon, which has a suppressive effect on the causes of temperature. At high temperatures, the child should be given medical assistance, which is what the material will be about.
Ways to determine a strong heat in a baby
Initially, it is necessary to note that the body temperature should not be beaten down to 38 degrees in infants, and in older children from 2 years old it is necessary to start lowering when the thermometer reaches 38.5 degrees. This is done not just to torture the child, but with the aim of enabling the immune system to independently deal with the causes of the development of temperature. If we proceed to an artificial decrease in temperature with its values up to 38 degrees, this will only aggravate the situation. After all, if you reduce the temperature, then the pathogenic bacteria will be able to quickly multiply and spread in the body.
It is important to know! When the body temperature is above 40 degrees, death of all pathogenic bacteria in the body is observed.
When measuring the temperature of a child, it is important to know that it is not recommended to take measurements:
- during and after feeding;
- immediately after bathing;
- After sleep;
- after walking.
It is not recommended to take measurements for the simple reason that they will be overestimated. It is enough to wait 30-40 minutes, after which you can take a measurement. The most accurate are the readings of the thermometer, if measurements are carried out during sleep or at rest.
To measure the temperature of the child, there are several different methods, although most know only one way. Measurements can be carried out in the following ways:
- Armpit, which is also called classic.
- In the mouth.
- In the rectum through the anus.
- In the ear canal.
The most accurate results can be obtained by performing the procedure for measuring the temperature in the ear canal. This method of measurement is suitable for children from 1 month. No less significant is the method of measuring the temperature in the baby’s mouth, for which special thermometers in the form of pacifiers are produced.
Why does the temperature rise in children
If a child develops symptoms of fever, the following factors may contribute to this:
- Infectious diseases. These diseases include: chickenpox, rubella, measles, whooping cough.
- Diseases of cold nature. These types of diseases include: influenza, acute respiratory viral infections, tonsillitis, bronchitis and others.
- Psychological and nervous disorders. It’s enough for a child to experience stress, frustration, and fright. Even active games can provoke a rise in body temperature in a child.
- Allergy and allergic reactions. High fever can trigger an allergic reaction in response to the pathogen. Allergy is often manifested as a response to various vaccines, as well as dust, food and drugs.
- Overheat. If a child overheats in the sun or at home with a strong heat, it is possible that his body temperature will rise. The causes of this phenomenon are called heat stroke.
- Excessive physical activity. The mobility of young children is due to their physiology, but such activity sometimes leads to an increase in temperature indicators. If the child is mobile and consumes little liquid, then the development of symptoms of intense heat is not excluded.
- Tumors. In rare cases, a child’s causes of high fever are tumors that cause inflammation.
It is important to know! Only an experienced doctor can diagnose the cause of the child’s temperature increase. It is strictly forbidden to diagnose parents, and even more so, to prescribe treatment.
Why the heat does not subside for a long time: the reasons
If a child has fever for a long time, then it is imperative to resort to contacting a hospital. If the doctor prescribed treatment that does not bring positive results, you should inform him about it or change a specialist. If a child’s body temperature does not drop for a long time, then there are reasons for this. The following features are characteristic of hyperthermia:
- When the causative agent in the body, the immune system automatically seeks to destroy harmful bacteria and viruses.
- With a change in thermoregulation, an increase in the level of heat content is observed.
- The higher the signs of hyperthermia, the faster and more efficiently the process of disintegration of pathogens occurs.
- Activation of phagocytosis. At the same time, the capture of pathogenic microorganisms by blood cells with their subsequent localization and removal from the body is observed.
- Strengthening the production of interferon and strengthen the immune system of the baby.
Although the hyperthermia process is positive, it also has a negative side. With increasing thermometer readings above 39 degrees, serious complications develop. Parents must apply all known methods to reduce the symptoms of intense fever. The danger of extreme heat is caused by such complications as the development of dehydration. When dehydration of the body is its depletion and cell death.
To reduce the high temperature in a child, it is necessary to resort to the use of antipyretic drugs of medical origin. Additional ways are gadgets and providing comfortable conditions for the baby. What to do with a strong heat in a child, find out in more detail.
How to bring down the heat in a child
In order to bring down the temperature in a child, you will need to use antipyretic drugs, as well as vinegar, vodka and cloth. To do this, you need to do the following:
- For infants and children up to one year old, high fever above 38 degrees should be beaten down with the help of medical preparations of antipyretic action. It is important to note that if a baby has no signs of pain, then you should not be in a hurry to give the baby a drug. These include drugs such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol, as well as many of their counterparts.
- Children aged 2 years and older need to resort to the use of the drug method, if the thermometer reads more than 38.5 degrees and there are clear signs of child resentment.
- In addition to medicines, you can reduce the fever of a child over the age of 2 with the help of folk methods. In children under 2 years of age, the use of folk procedures is not recommended, as their skin is rather fragile and sensitive. To do this, apply procedures wraps or lotions. A lotion is a cloth that should be wetted in a solution of vinegar or vodka. Wet cloth should be applied to the handles, legs, ankle. This will allow you to quickly and effectively reduce the temperature, but you should not get carried away with it.
- To reduce the intense heat, you should undress the baby and cover it with a light cloth. The higher the thermometer readings, the more the baby will tremble, but it should not allow the appearance of febrile seizures, the development of which begins at temperatures above 39-40 degrees.
- Provide the optimum temperature in the room. Do not allow the room to be cold or hot. The optimum temperature in the room is 18-22 degrees.
- If it is not possible to reduce the heat, it is necessary to call an ambulance, informing the dispatcher of the high temperature of the baby. The ambulance doctor will give a special injection, after which the heat will almost instantly decrease.
Medical assistance: when to see a doctor
Children under the age of 1 year are sensitive enough to temperature extremes. Immediately after birth, their body undergoes a process of normalization of heat transfer. This means that for babies, the normal temperature reading is from 36 to 37.4 degrees.
If the high fever cannot be reduced by the use of antipyretic drugs, it is strictly prohibited to give a double dose of the drug. In this case, the right way out is to call a doctor or an ambulance. If there are lytic preparations available, then the child can be given an injection, but only after consultation with the doctor.
Parents should not despair if, after the prescription of a doctor of antibiotics, the temperature still does not decrease. The action of antibiotics begins after a while, so if on the first day the fever continues to grow, you can use antipyretic. Regardless of how old the child is, at the first sign of illness you should contact a doctor or call an ambulance. So parents have more chances that the baby will not have complications.