How much should a newborn sleep? Indicators can fluctuate significantly. But let them not frighten their parents. The guard should be lethargy, capriciousness and lack of appetite after waking up.
In the first weeks after the birth of the baby, motherhood may seem like paradise. The newborn sleeps around the clock, and the mother does not rejoice: a lot of free time! It will not always be so. The older the baby becomes, the less time it takes to sleep. And the more questions arise from moms. What are the age norms for infant day and night sleep? Is it possible to focus on them? Or does each baby have its own rhythm?
Day and night sleep: norms, periods, and duration
Table – Age norms for day and night sleep
The table shows the average. The frequency and duration of sleep – the individual characteristics of biorhythm. The values shown in the table can vary from 1,5 to 2 hours. Highlight the main issues.
- How much does a baby sleep in 1 month? His day and night sleep are approximately the same in duration at this age. If the indicators of your baby strongly deviate from the norm, it is worth watching. If in any doubt, consult a pediatrician.
- What is the main indicator of the norm? Not numbers, but the state and behavior of the baby during wakefulness. If he sleeps excessively, but this does not affect the period of his activity and general development, then this is his norm. If a child sleeps little, as it seems to his parents, but at the same time he feels fine, does not act up, eats well, it means that the reduced rate is his individual feature.
- How much does a baby sleep per year? The total need for daily sleep is reduced. By this age, the baby produces an individual rhythm and a clear mode. Already it is possible to determine: “owl” he or “lark”. If the cycle of children’s sleep fits into the general family routine, then all is well. If, on the contrary, there can be difficulties with falling asleep: first whims, tears, perseverance.
The need for sleep and wakefulness: age-related changes
Healthy and prolonged sleep is the most important condition for the normal development of the crumbs. In the phase of relaxation and deep relaxation, the brain is actively developing and produces growth hormone in the body – somatotropin. Due to its influence, the most important stages of development up to a year occur: the ability to hold one’s head, roll over, sit, crawl and walk. Children grow up in a dream. This is the truth of life and medical fact.
The daily routine of the newborn is simple: I woke up – I ate, I ate – I fell asleep again. In a day, a newborn can sleep for about 20 hours in total. The remaining 4 hours – the period of wakefulness. It is time for feeding, bathing, walking. The duration of sleep in the first days and weeks can be 2-4 hours. Do not interfere with the sleep and wakefulness of the newborn. In rare cases, the mothers worry that the dormouse will miss the feeding and wake the baby. This can be done, but gently and gently.
The first 3 months of life
How much should a monthly baby sleep? At this age, the baby begins to develop an individual cycle of day and night sleep. Daytime sleep is gradually reduced, provided that the baby is not confused day with night. Time for wakefulness and “comprehension” of the surrounding reality increases. The duration of sleep may also increase, but its frequency decreases.
Is it possible to correct the regime of the infant at this age? Yes you can. If he is very different from the rhythm of life of mom and dad. For example, the crumb falls asleep at eight in the evening, and wakes up in two nights. Parents are not happy about this fact. In such a situation, you can gradually shift the time of night sleep. We must remember that the duration of a night’s sleep by 3 months increases. However, the baby sleeps all night in rare cases. The interval between nocturnal feedings averages 5-6 hours.
3 to 6 months
During this period, the crumb goes into three modes: walk – eat – sleep. At the same time, the wakefulness period is increased to 2 hours, and the daily number of feedings is reduced on average to 6 times. During this period, one night feeding is enough. The six-month-old child begins the transition from three meals a day to two times a day’s sleep – before and after lunch.
From 6 to 9 months
When portions of daytime sleep are reduced, the nighttime proportionally increases. At this age, babies can sleep all night without waking up. After 6 months, the baby no longer needs night feeding. There is no biological need for this, but psychological dependence is likely – to suck the breast or the mixture from the bottle.
From 9 to 12 months
How much should a baby sleep at 1 year old? The total duration of daytime sleep is reduced to 2–3 hours. The wakefulness period significantly increases to 4–5 hours. After about a year, the baby begins to sleep only after lunch. Not all children go straight to one day’s sleep. Some continue to sleep twice a day for 1.5-2 hours. This is due to the daily routine, the activity of the child, his temperament and, of course, the installation of the parents.
5 important points
How should a newborn sleep? In a comfortable and safe environment. However, ideas about the comfort of a child and an adult can be very different. What does a child not need?
- In absolute silence in the afternoon. In the womb, the child does not develop in complete silence. He hears mother’s heartbeat, the work of the digestive system. Therefore, it is not at all necessary to tiptoe when the infant is asleep during the day. Some babies are soothed by the noise of a working washing machine, a hairdryer, and even a vacuum cleaner. Traffic, dogs barking, screaming on the playground, phone calls – all these sounds do not create obstacles for a healthy and sound sleep of the baby. But for a night’s sleep, on the contrary, it is desirable to observe silence. So pipsqueak learn to distinguish day and night.
- In absolute darkness in the afternoon. It is not recommended to darken the room during the day. Conversely, the light must be extinguished at night. The light mode will help the baby to work out the adult cycle of day and night sleep, adjust the internal biological clock.
- In a soft bed and pillow. For safety and prophylaxis, it is recommended to use hard children’s mattresses. The pillow can not use up to a year or two.
- In a room with hot and dry air. To create the most comfortable environment conditions – means to give the chance to the baby to sleep long and soundly. The air temperature should not exceed 22 ° C, the humidity should not be lower than 50–70%.
- In malnutrition. How do you sleep a hungry person? Bad and anxious. How to sleep a hungry person if he is 1 month old? Bad and disturbing doubly. Sleep and feeding patterns are closely interrelated and interdependent, especially in the early months. The baby should receive a sufficient portion of mother’s milk or a mixture to sleep for a long time and calmly.
What does a sleeping baby need? The fact that his mother also slept. And when he wakes up, she has the strength to play, swim, party, feed and other pleasures of life. Therefore, newly mothers are strongly recommended to get enough sleep.
How much does a newborn sleep? It depends on the individual characteristics of the infant, on the conditions of the external environment, the climate outside the window and the climate of the family. Even genes can influence this process. Make sure that the duration and frequency of sleep is not affected by the deterioration of the baby’s health.