When inflammation of the nasal mucosa appears a cold. Rhinitis is very often observed in children, especially in the autumn-winter period. Parents should remember that snot does not always indicate an inflammatory process.
Snot in a one-year-old child: causes
Possible causes of snot in a child
Snot secreted by mucous glands. Their main function is to protect against the penetration of harmful microbes and bacteria. The secreted mucus is quite liquid and sticky and the bacteria settle on it. Mucus also contains substances that have a detrimental effect on pathogens.
A frequent cause of snot is ARVI. The virus is transmitted predominantly by airborne droplets when traveling in public transport, in contact with sick children and
A runny nose may appear due to hypothermia, as secretion increases to protect the body.
There is such a thing as allergic rhinitis. Symptoms of SARS are not observed. Snot appears when an irritating agent gets on the mucous membrane. This may be pollen, wool, dust, etc. Once inside, antibodies are produced, which causes a runny nose.
Other causes of snot in children:
- Enlarged adenoids
- Foreign body on the mucous membrane
- Incorrect position of the nasal septum
- Insufficient humidity in the room
Runny nose may appear with prolonged use of vasoconstrictor drugs. It is impossible to treat a runny nose with such means, they are intended to facilitate breathing.
A common cause of snot is an increase in adenoids. Nasal discharge in this process is green. In rare cases, snot appear due to abnormal development of the nasal septum. The development of the bones of the nose for some reason is disturbed in childhood. In this case, surgical intervention is indicated to eliminate snot.
With a cold, flu, parainfluenza, acute respiratory viral infection or acute respiratory infections, the snot in a child will be transparent. Children breathe air along with viruses that get on the mucous membrane. As a result, snot develop within a few days.
In addition to the cold, the child has the following symptoms:
Microbes and viruses disrupt the integrity of the envelope, causing the transparent snot to become thick and yellow-green in color. This indicates the accession of a bacterial infection.
Colorless snot may indicate allergic rhinitis.
A child has abundant clear nasal discharge accompanied by sneezing, burning and itching in the nasal passages, headache and tearing. Yellow and green snot may indicate the appearance of sinusitis or frontal sinusitis. In this case, you should definitely consult a doctor and prevent the disease from becoming chronic.
The snot in a child occurs according to a certain pattern. First, there is swelling of the mucous membrane, then mucus is produced and the inflammatory process itself begins. Nasal secretions are formed by the nasal mucosa and contain various cells. According to the results of a smear taken from the nose, the doctor will determine the cause of the common cold and prescribe treatment.
Treatment of snot in a one-year-old child with medical drugs
To facilitate nasal breathing, local or systemic decongestants are used. The action of these drugs is aimed at narrowing the vessels of the nasal mucosa. Due to this swelling is reduced and breathing is restored.
Preparations for the treatment of rhinitis is not recommended to use alone. The doctor takes into account the condition of the one-year-old child and after that the medicine is prescribed in a certain dosage. After the child turns 1 year old, prescribe such drugs as Nazivin, Nazol Bebi, Derinat, Oxymetazoline, etc.
Nazivin buried no more than 3 times a day for 5 days. Nasol Baby use 2 drops in each nasal passage every 6 hours. Derinat treatment can last about 10 days. The duration of use of the drug and the dosage is prescribed by a doctor. If rhinitis is of viral origin, then it is important to prevent the multiplication of viruses. For this purpose, appoint Viferon, Laferon, Neovir, etc.
In childhood with the right approach to get rid of snot can be within a week.
With strong immunity rhinitis lasts for 2-3 days, and with a weakened immune system may be protracted. If necessary, use antipyretic drugs. Independent use of drugs can lead to serious adverse reactions: anxiety, irritability, rhinitis medication, etc.
Treatment of snot in a one-year-old child with folk remedies
The best folk recipes:
- In case of a cold, the use of inhalations with the use of chamomile, peppermint or sage decoction is effective. You can use the inhaler or use the old proven method – inhale the vapors over the pan, covered with a towel. However, children do not like this method due to the impact of steam on the face and eyes.
- In this case, you can use a heating pad. Pour the prepared solution, wrap with a terry towel and give the child a breath. Inhalation is best done after a meal, because after the procedure for some time you can not eat food.
- Garlic will help get rid of green snot. Take the head of garlic, add oil and leave for 12 hours. It should be used olive or sunflower oil. After a time, drip each nasal passage with garlic oil. There will be a slight burning sensation, but it will pass in a few seconds.
- Onion juice diluted with water works well with rhinitis. Take a small onion, chop, put in cheesecloth and squeeze the juice. Then mix it with warm water in a 1: 1 ratio. Garlic can also be used instead of onions.
- An effective remedy is honey-onion mixture. Make gruel of onions and mix with honey in equal proportions. This mixture should be given to the child half an hour before meals.
- Cure snot can be with the help of beet juice. Prepare beet juice and rinse their nose. You can clear your nose from liquid snot using beetroot turundum. Grate the beets and wrap the resulting mass in tubes using gauze. Next, insert the turunda in the nose and hold them for 1-2 hours. This method of treating snot is not suitable for all children.
- An effective healing tool for a cold is aloe juice. Cut a small leaf of the plant, rinse well, and only then squeeze the juice. Then dilute with boiled water in a ratio of 1:10. In each nasal passage should be instilled 2-3 drops no more than 5 times a day.
Snot as a sign of allergy: causes and treatment
If allergic rhinitis should be avoided contact with allergens. Allergy symptoms in this case will disappear. In order to determine the stimulus, allergy tests are often carried out.
The basic rule in the treatment of rhinitis is to systematically clean the nasal passages. You can use the salt solution or buy it in the pharmacy Aqua Maris. Isotonic solution favorably affects the nasal mucosa and restores its integrity. This drug is not antiallergic, but can be used in the complex treatment of snot caused by allergies.
To reduce allergic reactions, children are prescribed drugs with anticholinergic action, glucocorticosteroids.
If allergies are the cause of snot, antihistamine medications are prescribed to alleviate the child’s condition:
- Anti Allergin
- Claretin et al.
These drugs help reduce itching, runny nose, and sneezing. Antihistamines are prescribed in the form of drops or tablets. After consuming the drug, the condition improves after 10–15 minutes.
Steroid nasal preparations have anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and immunosuppressive effects. These drugs are Nasonex, Avamys and others. The main advantage of corticosteroids is that they are not addictive and can be used for a long time. Such drugs are especially effective for year-round allergic rhinitis.
More information about the treatment of rhinitis can be found in the video.
When using sprays, an anti-inflammatory effect is immediately observed, the antiallergic effect is achieved several hours after the use of the drug. Corticosteroid sprays work effectively if used before the first symptoms appear.
In allergic rhinitis, phytotherapy and homeopathy are very effective.
To avoid exacerbation of seasonal rhinitis, drug prevention should be carried out a few months before the expected onset. The dosage of drugs is determined by the doctor, self-treatment will only worsen the child’s condition.
Prevention of rhinitis
Prevention measures from snot
In order to prevent to prevent the appearance of snot should follow all the recommendations of the pediatrician:
- The air in the room in which the child is located must be humid. Dry air provokes the reproduction of many pathogenic bacteria. Wet cleaning should be done at least 2 times a day.
- Ventilate the room regularly to reduce the number of viruses in the air.
- When snot appears, the child needs help blowing his nose. You can use special devices – pear, aspirator, etc.
- It is important to ensure that the secreted mucus does not stagnate and as a result a crust does not form. To this end, the nose can be instilled with a weak solution of sea salt. In a half-liter of warm boiled water, add a small spoonful of salt and stir. To drip saline into each nasal passage in the prone position.
- Going outside, dress the child according to the weather.
- The child should be protected from communication with colds and to avoid the place where a large number of people accumulate.
- It is important to strengthen children’s immunity. To do this, perform tempering and exercise. In the diet of the child must be present all the necessary nutrients.
- Timely treat colds.
- To prevent allergic rhinitis, avoid contact with allergens.
Compliance with preventive measures will help avoid the appearance of snot. It is necessary to adhere to these recommendations in order not to waste time and effort on the treatment of rhinitis in children.
Noticed a mistake? Select it and press Ctrl + Enter to tell us.