Folic acid (the second name is vitamin B9) is absolutely necessary for every living organism. Its deficiency can greatly affect human health. It is very important to track its content in the body. This is especially true of young children.
Before we talk about how to use and dosage, it is important to understand what children need folic acid. In total, there are several advantages:
1. After using the drug, blood begins to circulate several times better. This prevents the risk of developing anemia at an early age.
2. In the intestine, a beneficial microflora is created that protects this organ from various diseases.
3. Improves bone marrow performance.
Folic acid is necessary for children to strengthen the body, restore immunity and protect against the entry of bacteria. Therefore, it is very important to start taking it the sooner the better. This is what doctors say.
Taking folic acid during pregnancy planning
Fortunately, most women take a responsible approach to the subject of family planning. Before conceiving, the conscious patient is enrolled in the clinic, is being examined and passes all the necessary tests. For every future parent (both mother and father), three months before the expected pregnancy, doctors strongly recommend drinking two folic acid tablets (400 micrograms) twice a day.
First of all, the drug is necessary to maintain a normal level of hemoglobin in the blood. Many couples can not conceive a child for a long time because of its insufficiency. An important derivative is present in folic acid – tetrahydrofolate. Once in the body of a man or a woman, she begins to secrete biochemical enzymes. As a result, the partner’s body is better prepared for the process of conception. The future father has faster and better sperm, the future mother is more effective in the process of ovulation. Thus, couples planning a pregnancy, you need to use folic acid. First, for the successful conception of the baby. Secondly, for the full development of the fetus.
Acceptance of folic acid during pregnancy
If the conception and attachment of the embryo in the uterus is successful, then medical specialists also recommend using vitamin B9 throughout the first trimester. It is necessary in the future mother’s body in order to prevent the development of various neural tube defects, namely, spina bifida, dropsy and hernia of the brain. Due to the lack of folic acid, various unpleasant moments may appear: placental abruption, impairment of its formation and other defects that can lead to miscarriage and premature birth. Be sure to remember this.
The value of vitamin B9 for children under 1 year
Folic acid in children under 12 months is not needed. It is prescribed by a pediatrician only for the following symptoms:
- If the child is born prematurely, that is, before 37 weeks of pregnancy. This drug allows him to quickly catch up with their peers.
- If the baby is not gaining weight. According to experts, in the first 12 months of life it should grow by more than 2 times compared with its initial parameters.
- If your baby has problems with the functioning of the intestine. For example, when he often has constipation or diarrhea.
In rare cases, vitamin B9 is prescribed as supplemental vitamins. This applies to newborns who are on artificial nutrition. Babies who are fed breast milk usually have enough of all the necessary vitamins.
The value of vitamin B9 for boys and girls aged 1.5 to 7 years
Folic acid is also necessary for children in the period when they begin to attend kindergarten. Being in a large team often leads to the development of viral diseases. This drug produces immune bodies in the body that do not perceive children’s infections. In some cases, this vitamin is prescribed by a psychologist if the child does not adapt well in the environment.
The value of vitamin B9 for children over 7 years
Vitamin B9 should also be taken by schoolchildren. American scientists have proven that it improves intellectual activity several times and allows you to concentrate. In addition, this drug prevents the development of fatigue, which may arise from unusual training load.
Dosage for small children
Lack of folic acid provokes a huge number of diseases. However, its oversupply will not lead to anything good. Therefore, it is very important to observe the dosage of folic acid for children:
- The lowest amount of the drug is 25 mcg. It is this amount of vitamin that babies need in the first six months of their life.
- From 6 months its quantity can be increased up to 35 mkg.
- Children from 1 year old – no more than 50 mg.
That’s not all. Further, the daily rate of folic acid is increased by 25 units every three years. That is, if a baby is 3 years old, he needs 75 mcg of vitamin, 6 years – 100 mcg, 9 years – 125 mcg. The maximum daily rate is 200 mcg. That is enough for children from 14 years and older.
How to take?
Fortunately, there is a fairly simple instruction on the use of folic acid for children:
- First of all, you should pay attention to the dosage of one tablet. It can be equal to 400 mcg or 1 mg.
- From it you need to separate the required amount, depending on the age of the child.
- Then you should carefully crush this piece in such a way as to obtain a fine powder.
- It remains only to dilute it with water and give a drink to the child.
It is worth considering that the intake of this vitamin does not depend on the consumption of food and other drugs. It has a neutral taste. Therefore, there is no need to drink it with water.
How to take the smallest dosage?
Still, some people may have difficulty with folic acid instructions for children. For example, if it is necessary to separate a particle from 1 mg, equal to 25 μg (for a newborn baby). To achieve this result, you need to do the following:
- Divide the tablet into 4 equal parts.
- One of them should be ground in powder and diluted with 5 teaspoons of boiled water.
- 2.5 ml of this solution (half a teaspoon) is exactly the same and will contain 25 μg of folic acid.
In the same way, medication is given to older children. One teaspoon is equivalent to 50 µg, and 2 teaspoons to 100 µg.
The course of treatment with this drug should be from two weeks to 30 days. Daily rate if desired, can be divided into 2-3 times.
Folic acid can be given to children not only in the form of a medicine, but also through ordinary foods. For example, it is found in chicken, cabbage, cottage cheese, cheese, in almost all types of nuts and greens. It is desirable that a pregnant woman and a mother who is breastfeeding give preference to them. This will reduce the risk of serious illness.
Vitamin B9 is a must for every citizen from a very early age. Its deficiency can negatively affect the health of a person and his appearance (hair often begins to fall, nails break, acne appears). Therefore, experts recommended the use of folic acid for children and adults for prevention, at least once every three years. It is worth noting that the drug can be bought at an affordable price. One pack, in which 30 tablets, costs about 100 rubles.