The nature and frequency of the stool of babies is a matter of concern for most mothers, since it is the stool that is a visible indicator of the child’s health status. Since the enzyme system in the baby is not yet fully formed, a variety of problems with the chair are common to all newborns. That is why moms carefully examine the contents of the diaper and compare the result with the norm.
Most mothers know what an infant’s feces should be in terms of consistency, color and smell, but the number of bowel movements, depending on the child’s age and diet, is often alarming. Adults out of habit believe that the chair should be once a day, and in the neonatal period – at least 4 times, so the absence of a chair is perceived by many as constipation. However, the intestine of the baby works differently than in adults, so it is important to understand what is constipation in a baby, what to do in case of constipation, and how it is dangerous.
What can be considered constipation in infants?
The number of defecations in children normally ranges from 4 to 12 times per day during the neonatal period and the first three months of life, and by the year it is considered to be the norm 1 time per day. Based on these data, mothers perceive the absence of a chair as constipation and seek to help the baby using candles and
The absence of a chair a day or two is in itself mistakenly considered constipation, even in adults, and for a karapuz breastfeeding is generally a variant of the norm, if there are no other symptoms.
Signs of constipation in crumbs are:
- The absence of a bowel movement for a couple of days, if the baby is naughty at the same time, is experiencing discomfort, it is hard to weep and cry. If the child is cheerful, does not show anxiety and appetite is normal, the lack of a bowel movement indicates a good absorption of food (usually it happens during breastfeeding, and rarely – with artificial feeding);
- The consistency of feces, looking like separate solid balls (feces of sheep), or balls, decorated in a sausage. Normally, the feces should be similar in consistency to the mashed potatoes during breastfeeding and soft sausage with artificial;
- Difficult defecation. Stress during bowel movements cannot be considered a sign of constipation separately from other symptoms – if the feces are soft, the child does not suffer from lack of appetite and does not show anxiety, treatment, enemas and suppositories are not needed. Intestinal functions of the baby is still in the process of formation, so you should not worry.
- The combination of two factors suggests that the crumbs constipation. Statistics claim that about 25% of infants suffer from constipation. If this situation is rare, you can help the baby using traditional methods (the most common massage is tummy tummy). In case of frequent constipation, it is necessary to find out their cause, and in case of an incomprehensible reason, contact a pediatrician to schedule an examination and appropriate treatment.
Possible causes of constipation in babies
Constipation in an infant is most often functional, that is, it is not associated with intestinal diseases and is caused by a violation of its functions. May be:
- Atonic, which worsens the peristalsis of the colon. The first portion of dense feces stands out with pain and considerable tension, and has a large diameter. Then follow the voluminous and often mashed stool.
- Spastic, due to intestinal spasm. Dense feces are secreted by balls (sheep). Often this type of constipation is accompanied by flatulence.
The causes of functional constipation can be:
- Improper nutrition mom with HB. Constipation is provoked by rice, bakery products, thick rich broth, meat products and
Episodic cases of constipation do not cause changes in the general condition of the baby, it develops well and adds weight, so there is no need for a remedy for constipation in such cases for newborns – it is enough to correct the diet, the amount of fluid and the emotional background.
If constipation is chronic, the baby has a delay in development, he is not gaining weight, is apathetic and lethargic, you should consult a doctor, as the child may suffer from various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, rickets, diseases associated with the nervous system, etc.
The rare but occasionally occurring causes of constipation include the regularly recurring organic constipation caused by anatomical defects of the colon. Treatment of organic types of constipation is carried out by doctors (traditional methods are excluded, since these diseases are well treated with timely diagnosis, and in an advanced form are dangerous to the life of the baby).
How are constipation in infants treated?
Before treating constipation in an infant, it is important to establish the cause of the disorder. Treatment of functional constipation includes:
- Elimination of errors in nutrition (correction of the mother’s diet with HB and selection of a suitable formula for artificial feeding).
- After taking antibiotics, Bifidobacterin or Lactobacterin is shown, restoring the intestinal flora killed by the antibiotic. Bio-Gaia also works well.
- With spastic constipation, relaxing intestines massage the abdomen. Massage is performed with light stroking circular movements. The hand (open hand) should move clockwise. It is impossible to do massage immediately after eating, you must wait about an hour. You can also push the baby to yourself so that your body warms the tum of the child – the heat should help the intestines to relax.
Actions for atonic constipation
- Stimulating massage and putting karapuz on the pot belly. It is necessary to start the massage with preparing light circular strokes, repeating the course of the watch hands. Then the spiral is drawn with more intensive movements – from the navel to the edges of the abdomen. It is not necessary to press on the tum, the palm must be fully opened. Then, with a palm edge along the colon, a deep stroking is performed – outwardly it resembles the letter P. painted on the stomach. The pressure should increase as it approaches the end of the line. Then the massage continues with the alternation of rubbing and soft jerky movements performed by the finger pads in a spiral. The massage ends with a spread on the stomach and kneading the area from the shoulder blades to the buttocks.
- A warm-up is done, including a “bike” and squats. Babies who can crawl are laid out on the floor and stimulate crawling with interesting objects.
- Use for babies older than 6-8 months as a complementary food of apricot, apple, peach or prune puree. Well acts on the intestines and compote of dried fruit.
Sometimes the massage does not have the desired effect, and the mother, trying to help the crumbs, tries to use traditional methods (stimulation of defecation with the help of soap inserted into the anus and
It is much safer and quite effective to use such a remedy for constipation, like candles – in newborns, it is acceptable to use Glitselaks (candles with glycerin). These candles to put children can not more than 1 pc. per day using a quarter adult dose. Glycerin suppositories can cause abundant multiple stools, itching and allergies, so they should be used rarely and with caution. It is possible for infants to put sea buckthorn candles (these candles act as a mild laxative) or a one-time microclysmic Mikrolaks (enemas are permissible in extreme cases). The remaining candles are not recommended for babies.
Treatment with laxatives of irritant in the first year of life is contraindicated, as well as salt osmotic laxatives. The use of preparations containing lactulose (Duphalac, etc.) is acceptable.
Treatment of constipation caused by congenital anomalies at home is unacceptable, as it usually requires surgical intervention.
Take into account the video lesson in which the medical professional tells in detail how to do a massage for colic and constipation in infants.