The immune system of women during pregnancy is being seriously tested, it works with double load. Unfortunately, it does not always cope with such a crucial task as maintaining health and protecting the body against pathogenic microorganisms. In the period of childbearing a woman is extremely susceptible to all sorts of viruses and bacteria. It is not uncommon to become infected with an infectious disease such as conjunctivitis during pregnancy. How dangerous is the condition and how to treat it? We will answer these questions in our article.
Causes of conjunctivitis in pregnant women
Conjunctivitis is a group of diseases associated with inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye. The causes of this condition may be different, namely:
- virus infection;
- bacteriological infection;
- allergen irritation.
Thus, conjunctivitis during pregnancy occurs as a result of infection with a virus, bacterium, or due to an allergic reaction. The organism of the future mother is highly sensitive to various kinds of infections and allergens. Therefore, in women in the position of conjunctivitis is more common and often occurs with complications. The fact that the standard medications for the treatment of this disease are contraindicated in pregnant women also slows down the process of recovery.
The factors contributing to the development of inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye are the following:
- catarrhal diseases of viral origin;
- diseases of ENT organs;
- improper selection of contact lenses;
- non-observance of hygienic rules (for example, using someone else’s glasses);
- external stimuli: dust, strong wind, smoke, etc.
Symptoms of the disease
Moms-to-be are concerned about the question of whether conjunctivitis is dangerous during pregnancy? Despite the fact that, in general, this disease does not harm the fetus, medicines that are used by a woman are absorbed into the bloodstream and get to the baby, thus exerting a negative effect on the intrauterine development of the crumbs. In addition, a child may be infected during delivery, and infectious eye diseases of the newborn are extremely dangerous and difficult to treat conditions. The most dangerous conjunctivitis during pregnancy is chlamydial. It is important to determine the disease in time and begin treatment.
- pain in the eyeball, aggravated by blinking;
- the presence of purulent discharge;
- redness of the eye;
- feeling of sand, dryness in the eye.
At the first symptoms should consult a doctor, self-medication is contraindicated.
Types of conjunctivitis
Conjunctivitis during pregnancy? How to treat this disease? The complex of medical measures aimed at fighting infection is made exclusively by an ophthalmologist. Only a specialist can reliably determine the type of conjunctivitis. Namely, the treatment regimen depends on this factor.
There are the following types:
Also, depending on the course of the condition, chronic conjunctivitis is distinguished, acute and purulent.
The doctor diagnosed conjunctivitis. When you are pregnant, how can you treat this disease? Depending on the type, the following groups of drugs are prescribed:
- antihistamines: Azelastine, Allergodil, Ketotifen, Levocabastin;
- corticosteroids: Maxidex, Prenacid;
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory: “Diclofenac”;
- artificial tear;
- local antibacterial drugs for conjunctivitis of bacterial origin: “Tobrex”, “Floksal”.
Oral medicines are prescribed only in the absence of positive dynamics of therapy with local drugs during the week or in some difficult cases.
The standard treatment for conjunctivitis in pregnant women is as follows:
- In case of viral disease, local preparations are prescribed containing oxolin, tebrofen; immunostimulants, such as “Interferon”. If the causative agent of the disease is the herpes virus, then “Acyclovir” (eye ointment) is additionally prescribed.
- In allergic conjunctivitis, the first thing to do is to identify and eliminate the irritant. Such drugs as Suprastin, Zyrtec, Hydrocortisone (eye ointment) are prescribed.
- The bacterial type of the disease is treated with local antibiotics, for example, with Tobrex drops. Be sure to wash your eyes with a solution of furatsilina or boric acid (2% m).
Conjunctivitis during pregnancy is not recommended to be treated independently with folk remedies. Even herbal remedies can adversely affect the development of the fetus or the condition of the expectant mother. Therefore, when symptoms of the disease are found, one should immediately seek help from an ophthalmologist.
Under the supervision of a doctor, you can apply herbal compresses, for example, from the infusion of sage, rosehip, chamomile, calendula. In addition, experts recommend expectant mothers to reconsider their diet and increase the daily consumption of fruits and vegetables.
Conjunctivitis causes extremely unpleasant pain, symptoms of the disease cause inconvenience and reduce the quality of life. Therefore, you should follow preventive measures to reduce the likelihood of infection of the eye:
- follow the rules of personal hygiene;
- monitor proper care and use of contact lenses;
- timely treatment of infectious diseases, as well as inflammatory processes in the ENT organs;
- take multivitamin complexes as prescribed by a doctor.
Thus, it has painful symptoms and is often a dangerous condition of conjunctivitis during pregnancy. Treatment can only be prescribed by a doctor, taking into account the type of infection and the general health of the patient.