Some types of warts that form on the skin of the hands or the soles of the feet are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), but are relatively safe. Quite another thing – genital warts, which are also caused by this virus, but are extremely infectious and sexually transmitted. Usually, the first signs of infection appear within 3 months after contact with an infected person. But in most cases, an infected HPV is unaware of its disease.
In women, condylomas occur on the outside and inside of the vagina, at the entrance to the cervix, around the anus. Sometimes they can occur in the mouth or throat of a person. Usually genital warts are connected in clusters, most often they are small, but they are quite significant.
In most cases, warts do not affect the course of pregnancy and do not affect critically the fetus. But the gynecologist will definitely monitor this education and, if necessary, prescribe treatment. It is imperative that you tell your doctor that you have this problem in order to avoid the risk of transmitting a papillomavirus infection to the newborn during childbirth.
It is very important at the planning stage of pregnancy to donate blood for the human papillomavirus to avoid problems already while waiting for the baby. But many women ignore this advice, then find out about this problem already when registering in the LCD on pregnancy and a lot of questions arise.
Causes of the appearance and increase of genital warts in expectant mothers
Scientists do not know the exact reason for the increase in genital warts during pregnancy. Presumably: hormones, the environment and the immune factor play a fairly large role in this process.
A doctor or other medical professional will usually diagnose genital warts when he sees them during an examination. Pregnant women are required to check for cervical HPV.
A gynecologist can perform a diagnostic procedure with acetic acid, which is applied to a supposedly affected surface. If tissue lesions are present, they will be painted in a lighter color. This is especially noticeable to the doctor during colposcopy, when he can more carefully examine the vagina and cervix with a magnifying device.
A Pap smear (cytology smear, PAP test) may also indicate the presence of an infection in the cervix.
As we said above, warts during pregnancy are usually not treated. The gynecologist will monitor their development, but is unlikely to prescribe treatment. In 90% of cases, this type of wart growth takes place on its own after birth.
But in rare cases, treatment may be needed. Then the following methods will be used:
- Liquid solution of nitrogen for their freezing.
- An acidic solution that burns a wart.
- Laser procedure.
- Interferon can be used, which is injected directly into the warts, which are returned after treatment with traditional methods.
IMPORTANT! Imiquimod and Podofillin are prohibited substances during pregnancy. Most dermatologists tend to treat with trichloroacetic acid or dichloroacetic acid, as the best chemicals for removing condyloma of any type during pregnancy. But it is necessary to be treated under the supervision of a doctor.
What are dangerous warts?
In some cases, they can create problems for the future mother.
- For example, increase in size or start to bleed. Sometimes a large education may interfere with the basic urination processes.
- Warty proliferation in the vagina makes it less elastic, which leads to ruptures during labor. Sometimes they even block the birth canal and you have to do an emergency cesarean section.
- Condylomas are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). A woman who has them during pregnancy, during childbirth, is more likely to transmit the virus to the baby. Fortunately, children quite safely cope with this infection.
- In rare cases, a newborn who has become infected with HPV may have a condyloma in the throat (laryngeal papillomatosis), and this is a dangerous condition for his life. At the slightest suspicion, such a neoplasm should be removed to avoid airway obstruction. The child will spend gentle laser surgery. It must be remembered that these warts can occur not only immediately after childbirth, but before the age of 5 years. So be ready and monitor the condition of your children.
- No connection between preterm labor, miscarriages, other complications of pregnancy and warts has been identified.
- Some types of HPV can cause cervical cancer. This applies to flat warts. Others are associated with cancer of the vulva or anus. Most HPV infections do not progress to a malignant tumor. But if a woman has any complications, the PAP test will definitely find them.
Is it necessary to do a cesarean section with genital warts?
In this case, we weigh the risk of transmission and the risk of complications during surgery. As a rule, uncomplicated cases do not require caesarean, and the woman gives birth naturally.