Otitis and other diseases of different parts of the ear are a common problem in people of all ages. The basis of the treatment of inflammatory diseases is the use of local drugs, the components of which quickly penetrate directly to the lesion, eliminate pain and destroy infectious agents. Despite the fact that most medicines are supplied with convenient dropper vials and detailed instructions, their use often raises many questions. Consider how to properly bury the drops in the ears of adults and children.
Types of drugs
When choosing a drug, be sure to consult a doctor.
In otolaryngology, the following groups of drugs in the form of solutions for local use are widely used:
- Antibacterial (“Fugentin”, “Tsipromed”, “Normaks”). Drugs are active against most pathogens of ear pathologies, with a mild course of the disease are successfully used instead of systemic antibiotics.
- Anti-inflammatory (“Otinum”, “Otipaks”). Steroid and non-steroid drugs effectively eliminate pain, itching and burning, relieve swelling.
- Combined (“Candiotic”, “Dexon”, “Polydex”). Drugs have both antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and / or antifungal effects.
Any medication is prescribed by a doctor on the basis of a confirmed diagnosis, the severity of the course of the disease and the individual characteristics of the patient. If a purulent discharge occurs or an allergic reaction develops (itching, skin rashes, increased puffiness), use of the medication should be stopped and consulted with a specialist.
Important! Uncontrolled use of ear drops is prohibited. Most drugs can be used only in the absence of damage to the eardrum, since penetration into the cavity of the inner ear causes damage to the auditory nerve up to complete deafness.
Before you bury the drops in your ears, you need to thoroughly reorganize the ear canal. Accumulations of sulfur and other excretions make it difficult to pass the medicinal solution to the lesion and significantly reduce the effectiveness of therapy.
Before instillation, it is necessary to pre-clean the ear canal.
An adult should gently wash with soap, rinse and thoroughly dry the outer parts of the ear. When earwax is detected, it is allowed to pour a small amount of slightly warm boiled water into the ear canal, and then slightly shake the bowed head so that it pours out.
If it was not possible to get rid of the discharge, you can use a cotton swab, inserting it into the ear no more than 0.5 cm. The habit of constantly using cotton swabs and other objects to remove sulfur leads to its gradual compaction with the formation of sulfuric plug, effectively and safely removed. which is possible only in the doctor’s office.
Use cotton swabs for cleaning.
Newborn babies are prohibited from using cotton swabs, matches, and other hard objects to clean the ears. Hygiene procedures should be limited to regular wiping of the external auricle with a cotton pad moistened with warm water. In case of severe contamination, the excess sulfur should be removed with cotton flagella, introducing them with twisting movements into the ear canal by no more than 0.5 cm.
For grown children, you can use special cotton swabs with limiters. No need to try to remove all the sulfur secretions, as it serves as a natural barrier that protects the middle and inner ear from exposure to pathogens.
In case of external otitis or abscess in the external ear section in children and adults, sanation consists in removing dried purulent or bloody discharges with a cotton swab or tampon moistened with warm boiled water. For cleaning, you can use hydrogen peroxide or other antiseptic solutions.
For children, you should choose special cotton buds with a limiter
How to drip drops in the ear
The procedure depends primarily on the age of the patient. Consider how to properly drop the drops in the ear itself, another adult or child.
How to drip into an adult’s ear
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap.
- Check the expiration date, integrity and functionality of the vial. If necessary, prepare a glass pipette, rinse thoroughly and drain it.
- Shake the medicine bottle gently and warm it in your hand or warm water for a few minutes. The drug should have a body temperature, too cold liquid can cause discomfort and increase pain.
- To offer the patient to lie on the side with a healthy ear down, the head should be on the same level with the body or be slightly lower.
- The earlobe is carefully pulled back and upwards to slightly widen the ear canal. Carefully drip the required number of drops, trying to keep them from falling on the walls of the ear canal. Do not insert the tip of the dropper bottle or pipette into the ear deeper than 0.5 cm. After instillation, it is recommended to gently massage the trestle to facilitate the passage of fluid through the ear canal.
- To ensure that the medicine reaches the center of inflammation, the patient needs to lie in this position for about 15 minutes.
- If necessary, repeat all the manipulations with the other ear.
- After completing the procedure, seal the bottle with the preparation, if necessary, put it in the refrigerator and wash your hands with soap and water.
It should be remembered that if there is a perforation in the eardrum, it is forbidden to bury the medicine. The required amount of a slightly heated drug is applied to a cotton-wool turunda, the wetted end of which is introduced into the ear canal with careful rotational movements, and the dry is left outside. The procedure is repeated every 3 hours, unless otherwise indicated in the instructions for use.
In order for the drug to reach the goal, ears should be buried in a horizontal position.
How to drip in the ear to yourself
Consider how to properly bury the ears in the absence of an assistant. It is not recommended to perform the procedure standing or sitting, as the passage of the drug through the auditory passage will be difficult. In order to drip into your ear yourself, lay on the side on the healthy side, use your left hand to pull the auricle back and up, and the right hand to insert the tip of the pipette or dropper bottle into the ear canal and squeeze out the required amount of fluid. To facilitate the penetration of the medicinal solution to the center of inflammation, it is recommended to gently massage the trestle and lie on its side for at least 15 minutes. If necessary, repeat the manipulation with the other ear.
How to bury the ears of a child
The organ of hearing in a child up to 3-4 years is arranged a little differently than in an adult. At an early age, the eardrum is almost horizontal, and the ear canal is angled upwards. Therefore, for instillation of medicinal solutions, the auricle of the child should be pulled back and not up, but back and down.
For the manipulation of infants up to the year it is best to place on a changing table or other flat and solid surface. The procedure is best carried out with an assistant to distract the baby and keep his head in a horizontal position. It is allowed to drip medicine into the ears of the sleeping child. To prevent leakage of fluid, you can lay the ear canal with a cotton swab for 15-20 minutes.
Despite the fact that there were no cases of overdose of local ear preparations, one should not deliberately exceed the therapeutic dose, especially for young children. This can cause deterioration, increased edema and even hearing loss. On the question of how to drop drops in the ear in one way or another, the attending physician should answer.