A healthy woman resorts to measuring basal temperature most often because she wants to conceive a child. BT during pregnancy is significantly different from the indications that are observed during other periods of life. If you have the appropriate indications of BT, which are inherent in pregnancy, then we can talk about the successful conception. BT also becomes interesting in each period of gestation – from 1 to 40 weeks.
Data on the basal temperature is taken in three places:
- In the mouth.
- In the rectum (rectal).
- In the vagina.
The most accurate readings are temperatures measured in the rectum. They are reduced in the first phase, i.e. to 37 ° C. They fluctuate from 36.2 to 36.9 degrees, which is individual. Most importantly, the BT readings in the second phase (the release of the egg into the fallopian tubes, that is, after ovulation) were at least 0.4 ° C higher than the previous ones. This “morning” temperature persists until the onset of menstruation:
- 1-2 days before menstruation, BT drops.
- On the day of menstruation rises.
Basal temperature is strictly controlled by the level of hormones, which is produced by the body. During pregnancy in the second phase, the temperature gradually rises or is already high up to the delay of menstruation and even more. This indicates a high level of progesterone and estrogen, which regulate the process of preserving pregnancy.
On the basal temperature, you can calculate the days favorable for conception, as well as periods when you can not worry about the safety of sex. It is also regulated by hormone levels. Basal temperature also helps to identify various abnormalities in the reproductive function. For example, at 3 and 4 weeks of pregnancy (according to obstetric indications), the temperature should be more than 37 ° C.
If there is a delay, but the basal rate drops, this indicates a negative process of conception (no pregnancy is observed).
How to measure?
Basal temperature is an easily changing thing. A woman must follow her measurement rules in order to obtain correct data. These rules are the same for all women: for both pregnant and non-pregnant. How to measure BT, tell the site
You should use one thermometer, which can be mercury (preferably) or digital. It is inserted into the rectum 2-3 cm and hold for 5-7 minutes. Measurements are taken strictly at the same time (the run can be up to 30-60 minutes maximum). Everything happens in the morning, when the woman just woke up and did not get out of bed.
Other rules for scheduling BT are:
- Measurements are made during 4 consecutive menstrual cycles for a more reliable picture.
- Measurements are taken after waking from sleep, which should last at least 5 hours. In the morning, a woman should, without getting out of bed and not slinging, take a thermometer and measure the temperature.
- While the temperature is being measured, you should lie still.
- All data is recorded in a notebook, which indicates the date and accurate data on the BT. At the same time, notes are written down as to what distorted BT indications, for example, the use of alcohol or drugs the day before.
Basal temperature is not taken during daytime. Only in the morning it is reliable. As activity and movement of the body temperature rises, which distorts the testimony.
Distortion of BT can affect:
- Alcohol consumption.
- Sexual contact on the eve.
- Diseases in which the overall body temperature rises.
All recommendations are given by a gynecologist who examines a woman. Interfering factors should be recorded so that some data of BT are clear.
When pregnancy should take into account that BT is within the normal range within 2 weeks after conception. Then there are hormonal changes that distort the data. On week 9, BT will not be of particular interest than on week 1 or 2. However, if the doctor has appointed her to measure, then his recommendations should be followed.
During pregnancy, BT remains high up to a delay and longer. Diagnosis in the early stages is made after conception in the first weeks. The temperature rises to 37 and higher (by 0.4-0.5 degrees) and on the day of the delay will increase by another 0.2-0.3. However, everything is individual: in some women, the temperature may not rise more than 37 ° C.
Schedule BT during the first week will sometimes behave strangely. For example, on the 6th day the basal temperature may fall, which does not speak of pathologies. Sometimes this occurs after ovulation on the 7-10th day, which indicates implant recession, which may be accompanied by bleeding.
The next or 2 day after the fall, the temperature rises again to a high mark. Such drops in the second phase may indicate fertilization.
Other signs of the onset of pregnancy may be the following cases (if in the second phase there was no short-term temperature jump):
- Increased BT is observed for 3 days and longer than in previous cycles.
- High BT lasts at least 18 days – a sure indicator of pregnancy.
- There is a third rise in temperature, dividing the graph into 3 phases.
Low BT during gestation period
You should pay attention to what is the basal temperature in the event of pregnancy. Its normal rate is 37.1-37.4 ° C. However, sometimes lower temperatures may occur. Low BT is not an alarming sign during gestation, but attention should be paid to it.
Often, gynecologists advise to measure BT during the entire first trimester. This occurs in cases where a woman previously had miscarriages, the threat of termination or the fading of pregnancy. Low temperatures in the first trimester may indicate:
- Progesterone deficiency, which regulates normal gestation.
- The threat of spontaneous abortion.
- Fading of the fetus.
A sharp drop in the basal mark below 37 degrees may indicate insufficient progesterone production. In this case, a visit to the doctor should be mandatory, especially if there are other warning signs:
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Increased uterine tone.
We should not panic that BT dropped to 36.9 ° C, if there are no discomfort, abdominal pain, bleeding. This is not considered normal, but the individual characteristics of the female body can play a role here. You should be examined by a doctor, so as not to worry because of low BT.
If BT drops to 36 ° C, this is an abnormal sign. There may be fetal death or spontaneous abortion. See a doctor in any case urgently.
It is also necessary to make a visit to the gynecologist if BT drops to 36.8 and below degrees and lasts a long time. Here you may need to get tests for hormone levels. However, if low BT manifested only once, then you should not worry. This could be an error in the measurements or a temporary change in the state of the female body.
What does increased BT indicate?
High BT should also attract attention. What does her increased performance indicate? If 38 ° C is observed for a long time, you should use medical assistance, since we can talk about inflammatory processes in the body or ectopic pregnancy (BT can be normal in this case).
Slightly elevated BT (37.7-38 ° C) is a normal phenomenon, which may indicate individual characteristics of the organism.
We should not forget about the various factors that affect the measurement of BT. If a woman takes medication, leads a sex life, moves after waking up, then the indicators will be different, which is natural.
A slightly elevated BT is quite normal if the woman feels good and does not bother her, and the level of hormones remains normal.
Internal BT at various stages of pregnancy
Changes in internal BT at different stages of pregnancy should be considered:
- 3rd week corresponds to the 1st embryonic week. At this stage, the BT shows 37-37.5-37.7 degrees and slightly higher. The mark below 37 ° C indicates abnormalities and the threat of termination of pregnancy.
- The 4th week is marked by BT indicators within 37.1-37.3 ° С, the maximum limit is 38 ° С. Higher rates indicate infectious or inflammatory processes.
- The 5th week should be stable in the range of 37.1-37.7 degrees. If it repeatedly rises or falls, then you should pay attention to other signs: nagging pain, hardening of the abdomen, softening of the mammary glands, etc.
- Week 6 keeps the same performance: 37.1-37.7 ° C. If the temperature rises or falls significantly, then we can talk about the death of the fetus.
- The 7-8th weeks are marked by BT indicators in the range of not lower than 37.1-37.3 and not higher than 38 degrees. In case of abnormal indicators, one should undergo additional health diagnostics (ultrasound). By the end of this period, the fetus becomes less susceptible to various factors, but it is better to continue to maintain the BT schedule.
- The 9-10th weeks should keep the previous figures in the range of more than 37 and below 38 degrees. Otherwise, the help of a doctor is recommended.
- The 11th week is marked by a certain decrease in BT to the levels of 37-37.2 ° C. If the temperature remains high, then you should contact your gynecologist.
- Week 12 is determined by BT marks at 37-37.8, a maximum of 38 degrees. The ideal indicators are 37.6-37.7 ° C.
In subsequent weeks, the level of BT remains within the normal range – in the region
The basal temperature helps in solving many problems, including during the entire pregnancy. It is not enough just to conceive, you still have to endure, which is 40 long weeks. A lot can happen during this period. In order for the prognosis to be favorable, it is necessary to measure BT during the entire pregnancy in order to note deviations from the norm and seek help in time.