The content of the article:
For those who became parents for the first time – a newborn child is the cause of many worries and anxieties. Inexperienced parents every time deeply experience another baby’s cry, having no idea about its reason. Reasons for crying can be different: from the feeling of hunger to the manifestation of serious deviations.
Why does a newborn baby constantly arch its back?
Newborns cry a lot in the first months of life, and this is a normal physiological process, because crying is the only way for a child to inform parents about discomfort. If flexing the back is added to crying, then you need to carefully look at the baby at such times: this can be a feature of the behavior or a consequence of the development of any complications.
Back arching in healthy children
- Warm up the back muscles. Infants spend most of their time on their backs. If, after a long and sound sleep, the baby suddenly bent up with the wheel, but at the same time, he cries and groans, then in this way he simply stretches and kneads his sore muscles after sleep. At the same time, he can lift up the handles and press the legs.
- Caprices. In periods of wakefulness, the baby tries to learn about the world. If at such moments he lies in a crib or swing and does not experience any anxiety, then whimpering crying and bending may indicate that he is just bored. In this way, he attracts the attention of the mother. If it is not possible to carry the baby on your hands, showing the surrounding objects, you can divert his attention with a bright toy or musical merry-go-round.
- Taste of milk. During feeding, the baby can cry suddenly, bend in an arc, and even drop the breast. Sometimes it happens because the child does not like the taste of milk, if the mother has eaten some new product. In this case, the nursing mother must reconsider the diet and exclude, at least temporarily, foods that have sharp and pungent odors and tastes.
Crying and arching the back as a sign of disorders of the body
Even in full-term and in term born children, many life support systems are not fully formed and develop as the child grows. Most often, doctors note the imperfections of the nervous system that develops in a child over several years, the violations of which most often cause various abnormalities and diseases.
- Colic newborns
Almost all parents face intestinal colic in the first months of their life. The reason for their occurrence is a change in the way of nutrition and adaptation of the digestive system to the reception and digestion of milk. In the mother’s womb, the fetus received all the nutrients from the mother’s body through the umbilical cord. After birth, its intestines are not yet adapted for independent work; therefore, its functioning very often causes spasms, gas formation and other unpleasant sensations, which can be the main cause of arching the back and crying.
In order to make sure that the cause of anxiety is colic, you need to watch the baby. If the baby calms down after the gas discharge, most often the restless behavior will end in 1-2 months.
- Neck muscle hypertonus
Almost every baby during the examination at 1 month is diagnosed with hypertonia. This deviation is temporary and common to many newborns. It is believed that up to 3 months, this condition is the physiological norm and in mild forms does not require medical treatment.
Hypertonus of the muscles of the neck and back can cause involuntary arching of the back.
- The baby should be put on his stomach and watched him – if he throws his head far back and lifts his shoulders without using his arms, then there is hypertonicity of the back muscles.
- To check the tone of the neck muscles, you need to put the child on his back and lower his chin to the chest. If muscle resistance is felt at the same time, this indicates an increased tone.
For the treatment of mild forms of hyper tone, prophylactic massage, gymnastics and swimming are usually prescribed. More complex forms of hypertonus, accompanied by torticollis, may also include drug treatment.
- Head disorders
Many babies are diagnosed with increased intracranial pressure, needlessly scaring young parents, although this is the norm for the first months of life. But in some cases, this symptom may indicate the presence of various diseases of the head: meningitis, tumors, hydrocephalus and other injuries.
- Various diseases of the mother.
- Complicated pregnancy.
- Birth injuries.
- Other diseases and infections
In case of exclusion of all the above reasons, it is necessary to conduct research on various diseases and infections. Even nasal congestion as a result of a cold or allergy can cause restless behavior in a child. A pediatrician may order additional tests and examinations to identify the true cause of the disease.
Small deviations from the norm are very common in children of the first year of life. Most often, they are treated without the use of medicines, for example, a course of massage or physiotherapy, or are compensated and pass by the year without a trace.
If the cause of flexing the back is a serious disease associated with disorders of the nervous system, brain and musculoskeletal system, which was not cured at an early age, then in the more adult a child may be accompanied by various diseases.
- Vegetative dystonia.
- Neurosis and other diseases.