Liquid stool in infants compared with older children and adults is normal. To panic about this is not worth it. The digestive system in infants is not yet mature, has a number of features. It is only important to know what additional symptoms in the liquid stool may indicate crumbs health problems.
If a baby has a liquid yellow stool, and the baby gains weight at the same time, sleeps well, does not show anxiety, it means that there is no cause for concern. The child eats a liquid, easily digestible food, it is logical that his feces will be unformed, liquid consistency. Liquid stools in the newborn should not be associated with diarrhea.
Feces during breast and bottle feeding
The color and consistency of the baby’s feces depends on how it is fed.
- Breast-feeding. Parents often confuse liquid, mushy and frequent stools with this type of food with diarrhea. The color of feces can be golden, yellow, green. It depends on the diet of the nursing mother. If it is dominated by dairy products, the color will be yellowish. If a lot of plant food in the diet – green. Cheesy lumps may be present in the feces – this is normal. Cal has a characteristic sourish odor.
- Artificial feeding. The color varies from pale yellow to light brown. It has a pasty, dense texture, more pronounced unpleasant smell.
The feces of the baby will begin to thicken and acquire the properties of the feces of an adult only after the introduction of complementary foods.
Frequent stools in the newborn – a variant of the physiological norm.
- When breastfeeding. In the first month of life, a child can shake from 7 to 10 times a day. Feces can be after each feeding. Up to half a year from 2 to 5 times a day, after half a year – 1-2 times a day and less often. Portions of feces – small.
- With artificial feeding. The artificial mixture is digested longer than breast milk. The baby can defecate twice as less. Portions of feces – large. When artificial feeding delayed stool up to 2 days is not considered constipation. If a child doesn’t have any gas cars, he behaves calmly, parents don’t have to worry.
Frequent stools in infants – the result of the adaptation of the digestive system to a new way of eating. The intestinal flora is only colonized by beneficial bacteria, enzymes are not yet being produced in sufficient quantities, the anatomical location of the digestive tract organs contributes to the rapid passage and digestion of food.
How to distinguish loose stools from diarrhea
For a number of signs:
- frequency of defecation increases significantly;
- the stool becomes more liquid, watery;
- sharp discharge of feces;
- more pronounced sour smell;
- pronounced green color;
- there may be streaks of blood, mucus, foam.
You also need to monitor the general condition of the child: poor sleep, appetite, colic, gaziki, moodiness, fever. Even if the baby has diarrhea, then, as a rule, it passes quickly and does not require special treatment.
What to do with liquid stool
What if your newborn has loose stools?
- Monitor the condition of the child. If there is any deterioration in the condition, you should immediately consult a doctor.
- Change mom’s diet. The consistency of feces can affect the mother’s diet. This is especially true of fresh fruits and vegetables, herbs, juices. It is advisable to keep a diary of a nursing mother, and introduce new products gradually, in small portions, to observe the reaction of the infant.
- Do not give up breastfeeding. Breast milk contains antibodies that help the baby cope with intestinal infections and allergies. It contains beneficial bacteria that inhabit the intestinal flora of the infant. With frequent loose stools, breast milk saves from dehydration.
- Change the mixture. There are cases when a very liquid stool of a newborn is a reaction to the composition of the mixture. Be sure to consult a pediatrician when choosing food for an artificial child. You also need to know that the transition to another mixture and its frequent changes can also lead to liquid stools.
When to see a doctor
The watery stools in the infant, which is also often repeated, should alert the parents. What are some additional symptoms that require medical attention?
- Restless behavior of the baby. If a child has little legs, refuses to eat, does not sleep well, his stomach is swollen, be sure to show the baby to the doctor.
- Dangerous symptoms. What to do if a child has loose stools accompanied by vomiting, fever, and rapid weight loss? For a newborn, these signs can be dangerous not only for health, but also for life. You can not neglect them, immediately call a doctor.
- Signs of dehydration. They can occur during diarrhea: lethargy, weak cry, no tears when crying, stretched skin, sunken spring, dark urine with a pronounced smell, dry diapers (change only twice during the day), temperature.
- Pronounced unpleasant, putrid smell of the chair. He can talk about the presence of any pathogenic microflora in the intestine.
- Dysbacteriosis. In case of violation of the quantitative and qualitative composition of the intestinal flora, infants may experience loose stools of a greenish color, with undigested particles, reddening around the anus. However, only a special analysis can show whether the newborn has dysbacteriosis.
- Lactase deficiency. Of course, neither the mother nor the doctor will determine this by eye. However, you need to know that in the first weeks of life a newborn may not produce an enzyme (lactase) that breaks down the carbohydrates of breast milk. The result is liquid watery feces, anxiety of the child, poor weight gain. To determine lactase deficiency, a pediatrician prescribes a stool test.
- Intestinal infection. Depending on the pathogen, it can occur in varying degrees of severity. Usually with intestinal infections, except for watery liquid stools, there is an increase in temperature, vomiting, blood admixture, a large amount of mucus in the feces. In the analysis revealed a high content of leukocytes and fat.
In addition to all of the above, watery and green stools may indicate an allergic reaction of the baby to food or taking any medications. In this case, it is necessary to eliminate the effects of the allergen.
Liquid stool in a child up to one year is the physiological norm. Worse, if the baby suffers from constipation, colic and bloating. The consistency, color and smell of feces of the baby help diagnose various disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. But by itself, loose stools, while well-being of a child, do not pose any danger to his health.