Full healthy sleep is important for an adult, and even more so for the baby, so young parents begin to worry if the child does not sleep during the day. Children draw strength for growth and rapid development in a dream. To an adult, children may seem to do nothing except entertainment, eating and sleeping. But it would be wrong to think so. Just imagine: a child under 3 years old masters an enormous amount of things: learning to speak, read, walk, and in general – becomes a small copy of an adult. Is this not enough to get tired?
But if by the evening the baby can still get tired enough and fall asleep quickly and soundly, then the unwillingness to sleep during the day can greatly disturb the moms, as not everyone knows when to lay the baby during the day and how much time he needs to sleep. As a result, the parents themselves create all the conditions for the violation of the daytime sleep of the baby.
How much should a baby sleep during the day?
A newborn baby should sleep approximately 17-20 hours a day, with certain intervals throughout the day and night, when the baby eats and “walks”. One-year-old children should sleep at least 10 hours at night and twice during the day, about 2.5 and 1.5 hours for each day sleep. From one and a half years children sleep at night 10-11 hours and once a day about 2-3 hours.
Several factors affect how much your baby sleeps during the day:
- a child’s natural need for daytime sleep;
- the degree of physical activity received during the day;
- temperament of the child.
If the kid is active, moves and walks a lot, then the daytime sleep for him will become a natural part of the daily routine and will not cause whims. But often it is quite the opposite: your crumb walked up, ate, read all your favorite books with you, and all refuses to go to bed. What should mom do in this case?
Why does a child sleep badly during the day?
- baby uncomfortable. A monthly child will not be able to tell you what worries him, so refusing to sleep may indicate that either the baby is sick, or is hungry, or he has a wet diaper or diaper. Carefully inspect the child if he has a fever or nasal congestion. By eliminating the possible cause of your baby’s anxiety, you will let your little one fall asleep sooner.
- increased temperature in the room. An infant does not tolerate high temperature indoors. It is important to keep this in mind and to regularly air the room in which he sleeps, while avoiding drafts. Normal room temperature should be 19 – 21 ° C.
- no sleep mode. It is very important to lay the child at the same time every day. This will form the child’s habit of falling asleep at a certain time. Let it be right after a walk or a game: the fresh air and active activities will quickly tire the baby and will promote sound sleep.
- overexcitement and hyperactivity. It is not necessary to force the child to sleep immediately, as soon as you returned from the walk and had lunch. Allow the child to distract from previous lessons a little, calm down, read him for a short time or sing a song.
- excessive capriciousness, nervousness, spoiled. Often parents, and more often grandparents, rush to calm the child as soon as he starts crying. It would be more reasonable to suffer a little, the baby will soon calm down and fall asleep.
Let’s try to figure out how to put the child to sleep during the day.
- Have a good and long walk with your baby before lunch.
- If a child does not sleep during the day, short-term bathing in cool water will be beneficial (besides, such procedures have a tempering effect).
- Come up with your ritual of falling asleep: reading a book, a lullaby, a favorite toy nearby – let each mother determine what has a beneficial effect on the sleep of her baby. (For example, one little girl, as soon as she learned to speak, asked her mother to cover her with a blanket and leave the room for a while. After five minutes, the child was fast asleep.)
As with everything else, when laying on a nap, one must remember that each child is unique. Yes, a newborn should sleep almost 20 hours a day, and a three-year-old child should spend about 2 hours on a nap. But do not worry if your baby doesn’t sleep well during the day, it is possible that he gets everything he needs during a better night’s sleep.
If possible, do not scold the child if day after day you cannot put him to bed in the afternoon. Follow his behavior, if he doesn’t get too naughty and whiny in the evening, eats well, then maybe it’s just enough to lie quietly with your child for an hour or two for a day, listen to an audio fairy tale or read your favorite book. In the evening you can go to bed a little early.