Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that belongs to the group of semi-synthetic penicillins and has bactericidal properties. It has a detrimental effect on gram-positive and gram-negative cocci, as well as on some gram-negative rods.
Microorganisms that produce the enzyme have a destructive effect on penicillins resistant to amoxicillin. The drug is rapidly absorbed in the intestine, as it has acid resistance.
The active ingredient of the drug is amoxicillin trihydrate. Auxiliary include: sodium carboxymethyl starch, polyvidone, magnesium stearate, talc, titanium dioxide, hypromellose.
The drug “Amoxicillin” comes in several forms.
- Pills. One contains 250 or 500 mg of amoxicillin trihydrate.
- Capsules The content of the active ingredient is the same as in the tablets.
- Suspension. In 5 ml of the drug – 125 mg of amoxicillin.
- Solution for oral administration, in 1 ml of which contains 100 mg of the active ingredient.
- Dry matter for injection.
Indications for use
For the drug “Amoxicillin” direct indications for use are the following:
- diarrhea caused by bacterial problems, dysentery and other intestinal diseases that are infectious;
- inflammation of the middle ear;
- endocarditis, with acute and subacute nature of the course;
- respiratory infections;
- acute sinusitis;
- acute pharyngitis;
- Chronical bronchitis;
- cystitis and other infections of the urogenital system.
Amoxicillin has a number of prohibitions for use, namely:
- individual intolerance to the components;
- severe diseases of the digestive system;
- lymphoblastoid leukemia, occurring in acute form;
- for the treatment of children under three years of age (strictly prescribed by the doctor);
- Infectious mononucleosis;
- bronchial asthma;
- hay fever;
- viral infection;
- allergic diathesis.
Dosage of the drug “Amoxicillin”
Parents should remember that any medical drug for children is prescribed exclusively by a doctor. The specialist determines the dose of the medicine, taking into account the severity of the disease, the age of the child.
Amoxicillin is applied mainly 5 – 12 days, between receptions the time interval is 8 hours. Consider which doses are given to children on average. The drug should be taken 3 times during the day.
- Children who have reached the age of 10 years and have a body weight of more than 40 kg – 0.5 g.
- Children from 5 to 10 years old – at 0.25.
- For babies aged 2–5 years old, 0.125 g each, and under 2 years old, 20 mg per kilogram of body weight.
- For the treatment of newborns, as well as premature infants, the dosage is strictly individual.
For children who have not reached 10 years old, the drug is recommended to be administered in the form of a suspension.
Adults are assigned to 0.5 g three times a day.
For pregnant and lactating women
In the period of gestation of pregnancy, all drugs prescribed by a specialist. Every future mom should remember this! Amoxicillin is used to treat pregnant women only when the intended benefit to the mother exceeds the possible harm to the baby. Research on the effect of the drug on the development of the child was not conducted.
Nursing women drink Amoxicillin is prohibited, as it penetrates into the milk and adversely affects the health of the baby, causing allergies and disorders of the intestinal microflora.
Amoxicillin for sore throat
The drug helps to fight the follicular and lacunar form of angina. He is often prescribed by a doctor, as the medication has a small amount of side effects. For other diseases, the patient can take Amoxicillin before and after meals. With angina – only after eating to prolong the effect of the drug on the tonsils.
Instructions for use states that the use of the drug may provoke the development of some unwanted reactions.
- Allergy: urticaria, erythema, angioedema, rhinitis, conjunctivitis; rarely, fever, joint pain, eosinophilia; and in rare cases – anaphylactic shock.
- Effects that are associated with chemotherapeutic action: the development of superinfection is possible.
- If the tool is used for a long time in high doses, symptoms such as: dizziness, ataxia, confusion, depression, peripheral neuropathy, convulsions may appear.
- Amoxicillin for colds of an infectious nature (influenza, ARVI) does not work. Do not use it, as well as other antibiotics.
- If infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract are diagnosed, accompanied by vomiting or indigestion, then Amoxicillin is best used in the form of injections, since oral absorption may be observed poor absorption.
- This drug should be used with particular caution when patients have the following comorbidities: bronchial asthma, allergic diathesis, gastrointestinal diseases, hay fever.
- If treatment with Amoxicillin is prolonged, then antifungal drugs should be taken (for example, levorin, nystatin). It is necessary to adhere to the drinking regime and it is obligatory to carry out analyzes for control of indicators of peripheral blood and urine, activity of kidneys and a liver.
- With the appearance of pain in the abdomen, feces watery consistency with impurities of mucus or blood, with increasing temperature must stop taking the drug, as these symptoms may indicate pseudomembranous colitis.
Analogs of Amoxicillin
Drugs, analogues, in which the active active ingredient is amoxicillin, are the following medicines:
- Amoxylate (produced in Germany);
- Amosin (RF);
- Apo-Amoxy (Canada);
- Amoksisar (RF);
- Gonoform (Austria);
- Baktox (France);
- Grunamoks (Germany);
- Thysil (Bangladesh);
- Ospamox (Austria);
- Danemox (India);
- Hikontsil (Slovenia);
- Ecobol (RF);
- Flemoxin Solutab (Netherlands);
- E-Moks (Egypt).
When treating Amoxicillin should be considered as it interacts with other drugs.
- The simultaneous use of Amoxicillin with glucosamines, aminoglycosides, laxatives and antacids absorption slows down, and when used with ascorbic acid metabolism increases.
- Use with methotrexate increases the toxicity of the latter.
- If taken with metronidazole, then nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pain in the epigastric region, manifestations of allergy may occur.
- Amoxicillin with clavulanic acid can cause cholestatic jaundice, hepatitis, and multiforme erythema.
- Amoxicillin reduces the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
- It is strictly forbidden to take this antibiotic at the same time as Disulfiram. Caution – with anticoagulants.