Adenoids are the protective amygdala of the body, which is located in the nasopharynx and produces cells of the immune system. These cells are lymphocytes.
They protect the mucosa from various infections. An enlarged tonsil causes a disease called adenoid hypertrophy. If the inflammatory process begins, the disease is characterized by adenoiditis. Usually unwanted inflammation and hypertrophy of the adenoids occur in children under 10 years of age.
If you believe the statistics, the disease is observed in 5-8% of girls and boys equally. In the process of growing up the probability of illness is significantly reduced. In adults, these tonsils are reduced in size, and sometimes atrophy altogether. In a child, lymphoid formations are increased due to increased stress on the immature immune system, because adenoids act as a filter of harmful microorganisms. They prevent the penetration of various bacteria, fungi and viruses into the body through the respiratory tract.
If a child has problems with adenoids, then the general symptoms will be:
- Difficult breathing through the nose;
- Night snoring;
- Nasty voice;
- Increased colds and viral diseases;
- The occurrence of otitis media;
- Developmental delay;
- Incorrect bite;
- Speech confusion;
- Hearing impairment.
Causes of adenoids in children
An increase in adenoids in a child is possible for the following reasons:
The reason is the initial violation of the constitution of the endocrine and lymphatic systems. This pathology leads to a decrease in the effective operation of the thyroid gland. In children, symptoms of enlarged adenoids, lethargy, a tendency to corpulence, various edemas and apathetic behavior appear. Pathology during pregnancy or childbirth. Such reasons include various violations of fetal development and birth injuries of the child. There is a high risk of rejection if a pregnant girl has suffered a viral disease in the first trimester of pregnancy, has taken antibiotics or drugs with highly toxic indicators.
The reason for the background of feeding, vaccinations and diseases. Overeating at an early age, a sweet diet, chemical products, frequent colds, and infectious diseases can all have a negative effect on the condition of the adenoids. Vaccinations can also disrupt the immune system.
The causes of problems with adenoids can also include:
- Tendency to allergic reactions.
- Adverse ecological situation in the place of residence. Dusty air, gas pollution, household chemicals and toxic items.
- Symptoms of adenoids in children
An important factor is the ability to distinguish adenoiditis from hypertrophy of the nasopharyngeal tonsil. These pathologies have various manifestations and methods of treatment. Adenoiditis is amenable to conservative treatment, and adenoid hypertrophy requires surgery (surgery). Consider the signs of these diseases.
Symptoms of hypertrophy of the adenoids
- Complicated breathing through the nose, runny nose, frequent breathing through the mouth, restless sleep with open mouth, snoring and sniffing, apnea (holding the breath), attacks of suffocation.
- Chronic rhinitis and cough.
- Otitis, inflammatory processes of the organs of hearing, hearing impairment due to blockage of the auditory orifices by enlarged adenoids.
- Violation of voice timbre – nasal.
- Inflammatory manifestations of the paranasal sinuses (sinusitis), as well as bronchitis, angina and pneumonia.
- The peculiar facial expression is indifferent with often open mouth. Possible elongation of the lower jaw and the violation of the bite.
- Because of oxygen starvation, the child’s mental abilities, memory, and attention decrease.
- Rapid fatigue and chronic sleepiness are also noticeable. There is marked irritability, headaches, poor performance in school.
- Due to the deterioration of the depth of inhalation, a chicken breast is formed – poor development of the chest.
- Constipation, anemia, diarrhea and decreased appetite are possible.
Symptoms of adenoiditis
When inflammation of the adenoids, there is an increased body temperature, weakness and an increase in regional lymph nodes. Inflammation and enlargement of adenoids during ARVI. The classic symptoms of an acute viral disease manifest themselves – nose breathing is disturbed, a runny nose occurs and
Adenoids overlap 1/3 of nasal passage. Breathing is difficult only during sleep, snoring is possible. At this extent, the adenoids are not removed and are treated by a conservative method, like a common cold. Adenoids cover up to 66% of the nasopharynx. There is snoring, mouth breathing in the daytime, impaired speech. With this degree, the operation is also not required. The lumen of the nasopharynx is completely blocked by adenoids. Nose breathing becomes impossible, surgery is required.
Treatment of adenoids in children
There are two options for treating this ailment – conservative treatment and removal of the tonsil using surgery. Experienced doctors recommend not to resort directly to the operation, but to try to recover by a conservative method. Surgery intervention is required only in severe cases. It is necessary to use the existing methods that we list below.
Methods for the treatment of adenoids without surgery:
- Drug therapy. After removing mucus from the nasopharynx, special medications are used.
- Laser therapy An effective and painless method that reduces edema and inflammatory processes. This method is also able to enhance local immunity.
- Homeopathic remedies are a safe method of treatment that has a good effect.
- Climatotherapy. The method of treatment and enhancement of general immunity in sanatoria of Sochi, Crimea and Stavropol Territory. It has a positive effect on the entire body.
- Massage procedures in the face and collar area. Breathing exercises are also recommended.
- Physiotherapy. It includes electrophoresis, UFO and UHF procedures, which are prescribed by the doctor. You can also use folk remedies in the treatment of adenoids in the nose of a child. Even such methods should try, but try to avoid the operation, because often it is really not required.
Folk remedies for the treatment of adenoids
We list products that are effective in the disease:
- Beet and honey;
- Sea buckthorn oil;
- Eucalyptus leaves;
- Aloe juice;
- Goat milk;
- Resin trunks of cherry trees;
- Chamomile and birch leaves;
All these folk remedies are effective in the treatment of adenoids. Use them should be in the form of decoctions or ointments (depending on the selected product). They are effective in rinsing the mouth, rubbing the sinuses. It can also be used as drops for use in the area of the nasopharyngeal sinuses.
The following video shows how to cure adenoids without surgery.