Red fish contains a large amount of valuable polyunsaturated acids, useful micro- and macroelements. It has a pleasant taste and relatively low in calories. One of the best breeds of salmon fishes is trout. Many dishes that include this product are recognized as delicacies. For the festive table, they often cut lightly salted trout, used for salads and sandwiches. In the store it is expensive, but not always happy with excellent taste, and sometimes it turns out to be even with a smell. If the owner knows how to pickle the trout, such disappointments do not threaten her. Chances to buy a quality carcass of red fish are much more than to get a good salted fillet, and the salted salmon will cost much less than ready-made.
Pickling trout at home may seem like a daunting task only to an inexperienced cook. With minimal culinary skills, even the beginning hostess will be able to cook salted red fish. The knowledge of a few moments will help her in the best way.
- Acquire trout in the form of an intact carcass for salting. This fish is the cheapest. As a bonus, the chef can get a fair amount of red caviar.
- Fresh or chilled trout are suitable for salting more than frozen. If you have purchased a more affordable frozen product, it should be allowed to thaw out under natural conditions, without a sharp temperature drop.
- You can add some trout, steaks or fillet carcass. It is necessary to cut fish even for salting with a carcass. It is difficult to do it only for the first time, the necessary skills are developed quickly. The belly of the carcass is ripped out, the entrails are removed from it. This should be done carefully: there may be caviar inside. Then the fish must be washed. If you use the mosquito net, the result will be better. Then, with the help of gauze, a film is removed from the belly of the fish, blood clots are removed with a spoon, after which it remains to cut off the head and tail – from them you can cook a tasty fish soup. Prepared carcass can be cut into fillets or steaks. The skin at this stage is not removed – salted trout along with it.
- For salting fish, use sea salt or the usual coarse cooking: it does not draw the juice from the fish, so that the trout remains juicy.
- When salting a trout, salt must be supplemented with sugar or honey, only then the fish will have a delicate and harmonious taste. You can diversify the bouquet with various spices, herbs, lemon.
- The rate of salting depends on the selected recipe and the size of the pieces. It usually takes 2–3 days to pickle a carcass. Fillets and steaks are usually salted per day.
Fish should be stored in the refrigerator, preferably in brine – then it will not deteriorate longer. Another option is to wrap the trout in paper or cloth, as such it can be located both in the main chamber of the refrigerator and in the freezer. In the refrigerator medium-salted trout preserves the shelf life for 10 days, lightly salted can be stored for only 6 days. In the freezer the fish will not spoil for at least a month.
The classic recipe for salting trout
- trout (milled) – 1 kg;
- salt – 60 g;
- sugar – 20 g;
- black pepper peas – 10 pcs .;
- bay leaf – 2 pcs.
- Prepare the trout by washing it out, gutting it if necessary, cutting it into fillets and cutting it into portions.
- Mix salt and sugar.
- Spoon this mixture to the bottom of the tank, in which you will salt the fish. It is important that it is not metal, otherwise salty trout will have an unpleasant taste of iron.
- Put 5 peas and bay leaves on the bottom of the tank.
- Place half the trout on the bottom of the tank, with the backs facing down.
- Sprinkle with two tablespoons of the curing mixture.
- Put the remaining pieces on top, this time backed up. Sprinkle with the remaining mixture of salt and sugar, put the remaining pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover the container with a lid and store in a cool place.
Salted trout in this recipe will be ready for use in a day. Before serving, it is recommended to cut it into thin slices and sprinkle with lemon juice. It is not acceptable to water the trout when serving with the table, as it is quite fatty in itself.
How to pickle a trout carcass
- carcass trout – 1 kg;
- sugar – 40 g;
- salt – 60 g;
- black pepper peas – 15 pcs .;
- bay leaf – 4 pcs.
- Prepare the trout carcass, washing it well and drying it with a kitchen towel.
- Crumble two bay leaves, mix with salt, sugar, pepper.
- Rub the fish on all sides with the prepared curing mixture.
- In the belly of the trout, place the remaining laurel leaves.
- Wrap the carcass in thick paper or cloth. Put in a form or other container. Clean in a cool place for 2 days.
After 2 days, the trout will be ready to eat. Store the product in the refrigerator no more than a week. If you understand that during this time you will not be able to eat all the fish, put a part of it in the freezer.
How to pickle trout in brine
- trout (fillet or steaks) – 1 kg;
- water – 1 l;
- salt –