Ah, fried potatoes! There is no dish tastier, more dear and beloved! Nothing caloric, but so appetizing! What do you like most about fried potatoes – soft and semi-crumbly or crispy and crispy, juicy and sunny yellow or dry and ruddy? How do you prefer to eat – with a bowl of sauerkraut or a couple of fried eggs, with salted barrel cucumbers or spicy ketchup?
I don’t know why, but people usually fall into two categories – those to whom fried potatoes submit and obey, and those who, no matter how puffed up, cannot learn to cook this simple dish. Fortunately, I have long and reliably (I hope, reliably) belong to the first group – I know how to fry potatoes, I love and I do it in every way. Want to tell your secrets?
Fried Potato: The Classic Way
If you still want to master the simple science of frying potatoes, you have to start somewhere. Let’s talk about this for a start. Step by step and in great detail.
- 3-4 large potatoes;
- vegetable oil, salt.
- Peel the potatoes and immediately put them in a bowl of water, while the vegetables must be completely covered with liquid. Cut into cubes, which are then also folded in a bowl.
- After all the potatoes are cut, put a griddle with a thick bottom on the stove (ideally – cast iron, well – steel with a thickened bottom). Pour several spoons of vegetable oil and turn on medium heat.
- At this time, drain the water from the potatoes and lay it on a paper towel (you can cloth) to dry out excess water.
- When the pan with the oil is fully warmed, lay out the potatoes. And we don’t touch it for at least the next 5-7 minutes, while reducing the gas a bit – to slightly weaker than average. Do not stir, do not mix, do not remember. This is one of the main rules of successfully fried potatoes.
- After the indicated time, we take a wide spatula and with several movements we turn over the potato layers. Do not flicker, not shallow – briskly, widely, confidently. If you find the right moment, then turn the potato bars will be exactly layers. On the back of you should wait for a delicious ruddy crust. Made? Everything, go about your business, do not touch the dinner now a little less time – about 3-4 minutes.
- So, turn over a second time and go to rest. After a while we turn over for the third time, wait a couple of minutes, choose the thickest bar and check it for readiness. If the potatoes are slightly damp, mix again and cook until ready.
- We salt, slightly and accurately we mix and we decompose on plates. Yummy!
Fried Potatoes With Mushrooms
- potatoes – 2-3 tubers;
- mushrooms – 100 g;
- Onion – 1 pc .;
- salt, pepper, vegetable oil.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes, dry and spread on a well-heated pan. Fry on medium heat until cooked.
- At the same time on the other pan (heated and oiled) lay out finely chopped mushrooms. If we talk about champignons – raw, if there are forest households – boiled. Fry until golden, at the end add onion sliced into half rings and fry until onion is cooked.
- Put the mushrooms in the potatoes, mix, fry for about a minute, salt and immediately serve.
On a note. I recommend not to neglect the second skillet – both potatoes and mushrooms give a lot of water when frying, so if you want to get something not stewed, but a ruddy and crisp dinner, do not be lazy to get another frying pan.
How delicious! This is how my grandmother cooked – and, it seems to me, I still, with my eyes closed, can recall that magnificent combination of aromas, sounds and pictures, which accompanied the potato in a country style. Incredibly yellow potato tubers, orange eggs, snow-white onions, dazzling bright greens – I would give half of the world now for dinner prepared with tender wrinkled hands … Alas, for lack of opportunity to try my grandmother’s treat, I go to the kitchen myself.
- potatoes – 2-3 tubers;
- eggs – 2 pcs .;
- parsley – a few twigs;
- fat – 3-4 slices;
- We clean the potatoes, cut them into "skips" – first along the half, and then into slices: you get crescents.
- Spread lard on a preheated pan, melt the fat on minimal heat. Fillings can be removed (and you can leave it), put dried potatoes on the pan.
- Fry until cooked, at the end we add salt and fill with slightly loose eggs. Cover with lid and bring to readiness – literally a couple of minutes. Serve, sprinkle with finely chopped greens.
Young Fried Potatoes
Contrary to popular belief, young potatoes can even be fried. To avoid troubles such as crumbling and spreading, let’s resort to a little trick that will turn your dinner into a real feast.
- small new potatoes – about 1 kg;
- butter – 50 g;
- a bunch of dill, salt.
The potato should be really small – about the size of a walnut, no more. In addition, it is necessary to select tubers of the same size. In order not to waste time and not feel like a Cinderella, go to the market: grandmas in the season of young potatoes sell exactly what you need. Digging the harvest in the garden, they immediately sort it by size, wash it, put it into packages and carry everything to the market in the hope that there will be a buyer for each product. And he does exist – you! Let look at you strange, it does not matter. Do not hesitate and take the cheapest potato – the smallest. Oh, and do not worry, do not need to clean it.
- Get a big bowl, put a trophy in it, pour a few handfuls of large rock salt, cover with a lid, turn on loudly your favorite music and, hugging a bowl, dance. Vigorously, strong and plentiful, it is important to shake the bowl, shake and shake. After about five minutes you will get peeled potatoes (all that remains to be washed), good mood, lost calories and tight muscles.
- So, wash and put in a saucepan, pour water. We bring to a boil, boil almost until ready, turn off and immediately drain the water.
- Drain (you can put the pot on the fire and wait a minute or two). Heat the butter in a pan, lay out the potatoes and, occasionally stirring, fry, bringing to readiness. Salt and serve, sprinkle with finely chopped dill.
There was a Belgian by the name of Frite. Once he came up with a wonderful thing – to sell potatoes to take away, and, moreover, not the usual, but fried cubes in a lot of oil. The dish quickly became popular, and now, in my opinion, everyone knows what fries are and how it tastes.
- potatoes – 1 kg;
- vegetable oil – about