The art of Chinese culinary specialists is known throughout the world. Dishes prepared according to their original recipes are always distinguished by an unusual appearance, and at the same time excellent taste and wonderful aroma. Sometimes it is difficult to repeat them precisely, since this requires unique ingredients.
In the list of traditional Chinese dishes a special place is occupied by "Dim-Sam". What is it and why did the product get such an unusual name? This is worth talking in more detail.
Arriving in China, tourists in each cafe or restaurant can order Dim-Sam. At first glance, it is sometimes difficult to determine exactly what it is. Externally, the product is very similar to Russian dumplings or oriental khinkali. They share the same composition.
Each of these dishes is a product made from dough, in which various fillings are wrapped. However, it cannot be said that they are very similar. What is different from their fellow "Dim-Sam"? What it is? The name of this product can be translated from Chinese, as "ignite the soul" or "touch the heart." Indeed, the one who tried them will never be able to forget this unique sensation.
- big and small;
- open and closed;
- cooked in a special broth or deep-fried.
But more often than not, these are miniature bags of dough stuffed, steamed in special baskets made of bamboo. It is this dish that is remembered by those who come to China for the first time.
A bit of history
Each Chinese dish has its own history and special purpose. And after looking closely, you can say about Dim-Sam, that this is a kind of modern fast food.
The history of its creation is rooted in the distant past. Chinese since ancient times there is a tradition called "Yam Cha." In Russian, it sounds like "drinking a seagull." Tired travelers or people, exhausted by hard work, tried to find a place and time to rest and refresh themselves with fragrant freshly brewed tea. After all, this drink is the best able to rejuvenate and give a charge of cheerfulness. Thus, specialized “tea houses” appeared in the country.
Initially, they were not served food. It was believed that any product consumed during tea drinking could lead to obesity. Later, people realized that the situation was just the opposite. Good tea only helps digestion. Then in such establishments they began to serve snacks like “Dim-Sam”, which appealed to many visitors.
Today, and in many cities, Chinese restaurants are opening, where anyone can try unusual foods and feel the unique national flavor. There are many such establishments not only in Russia, but also in the countries of the Near and Far Abroad. In the menu, visitors are offered a large number of various dishes, among which “Dim-Sum” (“Dim-Sam”) occupies an important place. It can be ordered at any time of the day, from morning to evening.
This light and delicious product has no time frame. At home, the Chinese consider it necessary at least once a week for the whole family to go to a restaurant at Dim-Sam. Ordered, as a rule, at the same time several types of these "dumplings" with different fillings.
So you can get the maximum impression from this unique product. This habit becomes a good tradition also among many Russians. Those who visit such places for the first time remain simply in indescribable delight. These are the feelings that a superfine dough product with original filling causes. In addition, some types of such products are served directly in the same pot in which they were cooked. This creates an additional effect and is of great interest.
To get acquainted with this dish, you can try yourself to make "Dim Sum". How to cook it? To do this, you may need the following products:
- 3 cups wheat tablespoon of corn flour;
- 25 grams of sugar;
- 400 grams of peeled shrimp;
- some ground black pepper;
- glass of water;
- 15-20 grams of vegetable oil;
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine and soy sauce.
The whole process consists of four stages:
- First you need to make a dough. To do this, pour the flour on the table in a slide, making a small depression in the center. Pour 100 milliliters of hot and 35 milliliters of cold water there, add oil, and then knead. Ready semi-finished product should be covered with a napkin and set aside for 30 minutes.
- At this time, you can do stuffing. Finely chopped shrimp should be mixed with water (30-35 milliliters), and then gradually add the sauce, wine, pepper and sugar. The last thing you need to fill corn flour.
- The prepared dough is rolled into a bundle, and then cut into pieces, each of which is then rolled out in the form of a thin circle with a diameter of not more than 6 centimeters. Put a little stuffing in the center and gently pinch the edges in any convenient way.
- Put the products on the steamer, covered with leaves of green lettuce.
After 20 minutes, the product can be safely served, sprinkled with herbs and richly seasoned with soy sauce.
Chinese "dumplings" with chicken meat
Russian people used to make dumplings with meat. For the Chinese, this option is also acceptable. To make delicious “Dim-Sum” at home, recipes for toppings can be made by yourself or use those that others have already invented. Take, for example, an option in which several leek stalks are required, as well as for a test:
- 200 milliliters of coconut milk;
- a pinch of salt;
- a glass of wheat flour.
- 300 grams of chicken fillet;
- 1 chili pepper;
- 4 green onion feathers;
- ginger root (no more than 4 centimeters).
- 4 tomatoes;
- 3 garlic cloves;
- some ground black pepper;
- and also on ¼ parts of three sweet peppers of different colors (green, red and yellow).
Preparing this dish in a few tricks:
- First you need to prepare the filling. To do this, the first thing to do is cut the meat into slices and lightly fry them in a frying pan, just smearing it with vegetable oil. Chilled chicken additionally grind together with onions and ginger. The composition should not be very liquid.
- To prepare the sauce, send all the vegetables to the oven for a few minutes. This will make it easier to remove the peel from them. Then, peeled tomatoes should be rubbed through a sieve to remove the seeds, and transfer the resulting mass to a saucepan and put it on fire. After the liquid has largely evaporated, add the peppers and mashed garlic.
- Cooked sauce must be combined with the filling, and after mixing, enter the crushed chili pepper. The composition is ready.
- Combine the ingredients of the dough together and mix them well with a blender. The semi-finished product will have a pleasant coconut flavor.
- Divide the dough into pieces and roll them into discs with a diameter of 6 centimeters.
- In the middle of each of them put a teaspoon of filling and carefully pinch the edges.
- Grate the bamboo steamer from the inside with stems of leeks, and then carefully put the cooked dumplings on top.
After 5-10 minutes after boiling water products can be served to the table directly in the same pot in which they were prepared. Barbecue sauce is perfect as a supplement.
"Dim-sama" in the crock-pot
In modern families, the hostess has a lot of different kitchen appliances. Therefore, for example, the absence of a special bamboo steamer cannot make it refuse to make a famous Chinese snack.
This can be seen if we consider the step-by-step recipe “Dim-Sam” for the multicooker. For work you will need:
- 20 sheets of rice paper;
- 450 grams of lean beef;
- hot pepper pod;
- clove of garlic;
- 4 green onion stalks (white part);
- 30 milliliters of soy sauce.
For decoration, you can use ground paprika, red hot peppers and greens.
- 1 teaspoon sugar;
- 2 limes;
- tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Beef with onions, peeled garlic and pepper mince. It is better to do this twice so that the composition is softer.
- After that, you can add a little soy sauce and 1-2 drops of vegetable oil, and then mix everything well. The filling is ready.
- Soak rice paper sheets in warm water for a few seconds.
- Forcemeat divided into several equal parts and say them in the form of balls.
- Spread a sheet of rice paper on the table, and then wrap the meat ball in it. Repeat until food runs out. To prevent the paper from sticking to the surface, the desk must be moistened with plain water beforehand.
- To lubricate the grid in the multicooker with vegetable oil and carefully place the blanks on it. After that, close the lid, set the “steam” mode on the panel, and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- To make a lime sauce, squeeze the juice and mix it with the other ingredients until they are completely dissolved.
After the signal, the multicooker can be turned off, and the finished products can be removed with forceps and carefully laid out on a plate, watered with sauce, and, if desired, decorated with the products left for this.
Dumplings from Hong Kong
Each province or administrative region of China has its own habits and traditions. In Hong Kong, for example, they like to fry Dim-Sam. The recipe for cooking in this case will be somewhat different.
The following components will be required: