Pearl barley is a very nutritious and healthy cereal, it is not for nothing that barley porridge is a component of the menu for the military, hospitals, schools and kindergartens, since for a low price we get a tasty, nutritious product filled with useful substances. New technologies are moving forward, and a huge amount of kitchen appliances have appeared that help housewives with cooking. In addition to the simple boiling of barley porridge in a saucepan on the stove, we will consider several options for making barley with the help of modern kitchen appliances: a slow cooker, a double boiler, a rice cooker, a pressure cooker, a microwave and an oven.
How many boil barley
Depending on the method of cooking and the preliminary preparation of the grits, the barley is prepared at different times. Taking into account the pre-soaking cereal for 1-2 hours, the cooking time will be: In the slow cooker – 1 hour; In a saucepan – 50 minutes; In the microwave – 25-30 minutes; Steamed and in a double boiler – 40-50 minutes; In the rice cooker – 1 hour; In a pressure cooker – 15 minutes.
Preparation of barley for cooking • Be sure to rinse the grain well, preferably in a large amount of running water, in order to wash off the excess that has accumulated on the surface of the grain (after processing, transportation, packaging).
• In order for the cooking result to be of higher quality and to speed up the process of cooking the cereal, after rinsing it should be soaked to swell. There are several options: water, kefir, yogurt or steamed in a thermos and let insist. If you do not pre-soak the grits, then you will need more time to cook them (you have to cook longer).
• Since the taste of cereals is universal, ready-made porridge can be made salty or sweet, to taste. We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the instructions on cooking on the packaging (if any) – perhaps the manufacturer gives his recommendations for the preparation of specific cereals. • The capacity for cooking should also be selected accordingly, since when soaking the croup it is doubled, and during heat treatment at least four times, this should be taken into account.
How to cook barley on water
1. Make a preliminary preparation of cereals and let it brew for a couple of hours.
2. Drain, rinse and place in a cooking container.
3. Add water at the rate of – 1 cup of cereals for 3 glasses of water. 4. Put on medium heat and cook for about 50 minutes. 5. Be sure to try when the barley is soft – ready.
6. Optionally, you can add a little sunflower, olive, or any other vegetable or butter. Salt and spices to taste.
How to cook pearl barley on milk
1. It will take 1 cup of barley and 4 glasses of milk. 2. Rinse and soak the cereal in water for 2 hours. 3. Drain, rinse and place in a cooking container. 4. Pour the cereal with a small amount of water, let it boil for about 15 minutes, drain the water. 5. Pour hot milk and cook until ready. 6. Add butter. Salt, sugar and spices to taste.
Perlovka in the multicooker
1. Rinse the pearl barley, soak it in water for at least 1 hour. 2. Drain the water, rinse the cereal and place in the multicooker bowl. 3. Add water at the rate of – 1 cup of cereals